IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca catechu dwarf seedlings vs normal seedlings

PalmatierMeg

I'd been seeking viable seeds from an Areca catechu dwarf mother so I might have even a remote chance of growing an authentic dwarf Areca myself. Believe me, there are a lot of cons out there that take advantage of palm lovers' desperation by selling phony dwarf palms, non-viable seeds or pulling a bait & switch. The worst offenders are over in Asia and you have to read descriptions carefully, study photos assiduously to estimate petiole lengths. Some sellers in the US take photos of palms in such a way to obscure longer petioles. Finally, dwarf Arecas mostly do not come true from seeds. That's a fact that no commercial seller will tell a buyer.

I figured I had the best chance of growing one of these scarce palms if an IPS member on PT listed fresh seeds here. Even then I knew there were no guarantees and that most of the dwarf Areca seeds I tried would be disappointingly normal. But I was willing to take a chance. This year my hopes were realized and I have two pots of germinating seeds. I've been told that no one can determine extent of dwarfism until a seedling reaches 3g size. But I've had 6 seedlings germinate in a 3g pot and I can tell right off that 2 may have some level of dwarfism while 4 appear to be be normal Areca catechus. In the interest of saving someone from being scammed, I took the following photos of my newly germinated Areca catechus so you can get an idea what to look for.

Photo 1 is of the 6 germinated seedlings. Focus on the 3g pot in the center; ignore other pots. Note there are 4 tall, skinny, light green seedlings in front. Those probably are normal A. catechus. Behind those are 2 squat, dark green 1-leaf seedlings. I believe those will have some level of dwarfism. How much? Too early to tell.

59a487e76f607_Arecacatechudwarfvsnormal0

Photos 2- 4 focus on the two dark green seedlings. They are short and wide. Perhaps dwarfs in the making. Note how different they are from the other 4.

59a48807dba6e_Arecacatechudwarfvsnormal059a4881719d9b_Arecacatechudwarfvsnormal059a4882835c50_Arecacatechudwarfvsnormal0

Photo 5 takes a look at two of the normal Arecas

59a4884d5fa7f_Arecacatechudwarfvsnormal0

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I just baught 20 seeds from someone  on this sight. I know the chances are low that they will all be dwarf but we will see. I am hoping for just one... fingers crossed

18 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I just baught 20 seeds from someone  on this sight. I know the chances are low that they will all be dwarf but we will see. I am hoping for just one... fingers crossed

So am I. At least we have a remote chance of success this way.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Mine is more of a semi-dwarf........ When I bought it as a seedling it had almost non existent petioles but it definitely isn't like the ones you see in South East Asia. Still nice though.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

33 minutes ago, dmc said:

Didn't you grab one at the mounts sale  earlier this year ?

Yes and it's pretty close (cost a pretty penny too). I have some near- and semi-dwarfs also. I still want to try them from seed.

41 minutes ago, Tropicgardener said:

Mine is more of a semi-dwarf........ When I bought it as a seedling it had almost non existent petioles but it definitely isn't like the ones you see in South East Asia. Still nice though.

Earlier this year, Ryan from Searles told me that growing them in full sun will accentuate dwarfness and shorten petioles. He plants his in sun. I always figured they were more like understory palms that would burn up in FL sun. I moved my potted A.c.'s out of my shaded lanai and into my back yard. Sun hasn't bothered them a lick. The back of the house protects them from strong winds that might damage their leaves. I'm not so sure how well it works with my semi-dwarf, which hasn't seemed to change growth habit much.

Meg

Florida

Bought this about 6 months ago from a specialty plant store here as a one gallon for $35. Looking pretty dwarf, but not sure if it is a semi dwarf. Thought I 

would ask opinions since this looks like an appropriate thread.  Just a very small petiole. Any input?

aloha

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

• Upvote 5

I got 3 from that same batch Colin, planted in full sun hoping they stay dwarf!

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

15 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Bought this about 6 months ago from a specialty plant store here as a one gallon for $35. Looking pretty dwarf, but not sure if it is a semi dwarf. Thought I 

would ask opinions since this looks like an appropriate thread.  Just a very small petiole. Any input?

aloha

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Colin, I love it. Leaves are very scrunched and petioles short. Keep it in sun to accentuate those features. If only I could find one like that for $35 here.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I too believe I don't have real dwarf Areca, maybe semi-dwarf or even not at all interesting forms; surprises from genetic issues!

Maybe I should plant them in more sunny conditions, and ... pray !

P1060714.thumb.JPG.8e849e02356ba7c35b5a5P1060712.thumb.JPG.d9d68f574ebbed01fcac3P1060713.thumb.JPG.d111f5fcfee1e6a1df108

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Colin, I love it. Leaves are very scrunched and petioles short. Keep it in sun to accentuate those features. If only I could find one like that for $35 here.

Colin, I would bet yours is a good one :D

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

I could look at catechu 'Dwarf' photos all day long... :wub:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

5 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

I too believe I don't have real dwarf Areca, maybe semi-dwarf or even not at all interesting forms; surprises from genetic issues!

Maybe I should plant them in more sunny conditions, and ... pray !

P1060714.thumb.JPG.8e849e02356ba7c35b5a5P1060712.thumb.JPG.d9d68f574ebbed01fcac3P1060713.thumb.JPG.d111f5fcfee1e6a1df108

I would say semi-dwarf, but even those are worth growing.

Meg

Florida

These can be variable, dwarf, semi-dwarf, in-between, and standard A. catechu. 

I picked up 20 seeds from a dwarf mother plant and they all sprouted. Three of them are showing dwarf tendencies, but time will tell.

I have never heard of placing in full sun, so I'll try that. 

Colin, yours are pretty close to the real deal, and Philippe, I have my doubts about how dwarf yours is. 

Here are a few pics of some of the plants and seedlings I have in the yard. 

The first is in the ground and has a bit of petiole, but pretty sure it's going to develop like it's supposed to.

The next photo is the three seedlings I talked about above and they're iffy, but the petiole is shortening up. They are exhibiting the dwarf leaf form with the pinnae being mostly connected.

The next is a photo of ones I've had in the ground for about 7-8 years now, they are true dwarfs and have NO petiole.

The last pics are of a seedling that came from the same batch of 20 above and has no dwarf characteristics at all. You can tell by the petiole and leaf structure with separated pinnae. 

Hope this helps, awesome little palms. 

Tim

P1020227.jpg

P1020231.jpg

P1020232.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii