IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. orange crush in non-tropical areas? Mine is great!

BS Man about Palms

I had been noticing that mine was doing pretty good lately and when Len was by a little while back and mentioned it was one of the nicest ones he knew of, I figured it was time to post some pics and ask to see others..this is mine in coastal southern California.

20170810_094334.thumb.jpg.62122e9e56e4a3 20170810_094348.thumb.jpg.21ff8c8eb5d9eb

• Like 4
  • Upvote 20

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes, I know...it's really struggling in that box...I can't believe the pain my palm is in.... oh well. :) My foot for scale. These pics were taken a couple weeks back and the latest lef will be off soon and I'll try to get a "orange" pic to add then. If not, I have one from a few months back to put up.

20170810_094358.jpg

• Upvote 5

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No short answer Matt.. will speculate later..

20170810_094409.jpg

• Upvote 3

Wow really nice, never had any luck with them here at sea level Honolulu. Probably rivals any of the ones on the big island.

aloha

• Upvote 2

Looks 'dang good' Bill. Have the roots grown into the ground or is the container partially buried?

It'll start growing much faster now at this size. Mine took off and are looking 'dang good' too.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Bill,

Len was right......one if not the nicest one in our part of this world!

As for the box.....?

• Upvote 1

Obscenities screamed.

Prayers said.

Crying towels soaked.

Mommy cried for.

Order to FP going to include . . . .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Doing pretty well......boy I'd say so richnorm. Been in the ground for awhile? 

Luckily they do very well here and their color adds nice variation to the garden.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

9 hours ago, realarch said:

Doing pretty well......boy I'd say so richnorm. Been in the ground for awhile? 

Luckily they do very well here and their color adds nice variation to the garden.

Tim

Maybe a dozen years in hot house then half that again in the ground.  One of the faster Dypsis around here!

1 hour ago, Shon said:

Rich yours looks different without the wood box around it. 

Like it's missing something, right? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Orangish crown.. and if your first ring of trunk is flush with the soil, does that count? :huh:

20170827_105532.jpg

20170827_105556.jpg

• Upvote 6

I was there when Bill removed the leaf. Rest assured that all precaution was taken. After donning full-body surgical garb, nitrile gloves and a dual charcoal filter respirator Bill lovingly pulled the offending leaf away from the trunk. The picture actually magnifies what most certainly SEEMS to be a fungal banquet but in reality is not. Bill was finally able to exhale after 3 minutes and 23 seconds. Mission accomplished.

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

@bgl Should have a pic of us with this somewhere... :D

11 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

@bgl Should have a pic of us with this somewhere... :D

Here we go! :rolleyes:

DSC_0090.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

All right Bill everything has a price what is yours?

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

All right Bill everything has a price what is yours?

Hmmm, I may have another boxed one around.:lol:

• Upvote 1

I have some five gallon babies, well on their way.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/28/2017, 11:36:24, BS Man about Palms said:

Hmmm, I may have another boxed one around.:lol:

:o

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump three Dypsis threads in one day, but I'm running out of things to do during Coronavirus and the summer heat is rapidly approaching. There are many Dypsis OC/pilulifera threads, but this one seemed the most appropriate based on the title. Another great thread is https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38285-dypsis-pilulifera-orange-crush-where-are-you.

I am trying to find a place in the landscape for this palm, but I still have many potted palms and a dwindling number of prime planting locations. I imagine this will need to grow under protection and emerge from the canopy, assuming it doesn't die first. I don't know if this palm could ever grow in full sun at my place (10 miles inland with a coastal breeze on a hillside), but that would give me more planting options. Any updates or pearls of knowledge on growing this palm in SoCal?

I ordered this in January 2018 from Floribunda and it gets bright light with a few hours of direct sun. I took the photo a few days ago and since cut off that dead frond.

IMG_7788.thumb.jpg.cf61e9b6dd7dbb3be4b33588e918d56b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@msportythat palm is a real beaut!

And close enough to me for inspiration!

you know... if you can't find a place for it... I've got plenty of shade here in Riverside!!!!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Can anyone share what their growth rates have been in California? Is this a typical Dypsis that grows a bit on the slower side?

1 hour ago, James B said:

Can anyone share what their growth rates have been in California? Is this a typical Dypsis that grows a bit on the slower side?

I will qualify and say that my experience is that it is typical slow for a solitary Dypsis when small and builds momentum.  I have two small ones now in the ground that I kept in 1 gallon pots too long.  Both are likely of Floribunda origin but I picked them up at a Palm Society Auction.  My D pilulifera have grown at similar pace with my small D prestonia, D ovobonstira and D honkona hybrid.  Probably if you can find something grown to a 3-5 gallon size instead of the 1's I got, you would be a little further ahead of the game.  If you can start with a true big 15, you might have something trunking and flowering 5 years.  Both my D pilulifera are starting in part day sun with the opportunity to grow into full coastal sun.  Here is one from first day of last winter... still small.

20191222-104A5314.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 4 weeks later...

It's time for an overdue update.. trunking nicely now..

107019154_576989519665766_1781911518264656694_n.jpg

106297790_716047678956259_2647218721444281220_n.jpg

106166263_686114811946672_7639573804425168652_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

It's time for an overdue update.. trunking nicely now..

107019154_576989519665766_1781911518264656694_n.jpg

Fancy that, outdoor furniture! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks great! 

Lot of time to get there no doubt.

Next leaf that falls shoot a picture.

Is it.... Orange....

Just a guess

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, TomJ said:

Looks great! 

Lot of time to get there no doubt.

Next leaf that falls shoot a picture.

Is it.... Orange....

Just a guess

Yeah, it's showing orange :wub:

118402365_637526206869090_8630616210156684887_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

• 3 years later...

How about an update @BS Man about Palms?

Pant pant pant

LICKY!

• Like 1

@richnorm update required from you too please!

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Thriving but not flowering yet.  It did have a bit of a wobble with a soft spot on the trunk but seems to have pulled through.  Seems to hold the orange a lot longer now. I love the  way the leaflets hang.

IMG_3025.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, richnorm said:

Thriving but not flowering yet.  It did have a bit of a wobble with a soft spot on the trunk but seems to have pulled through.  Seems to hold the orange a lot longer now. I love the  way the leaflets hang.

IMG_3025.JPG

Nice!  I’m still waiting for mine to start trunking and show the orange coloring 

• Like 2

Looks terrific richnorm, you’ll be enjoying this palm for a long time. It’s also nice that the crown shaft color holds for such a long time.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii