IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fiddling around on the roof - nice palm shots

DoomsDave

I was up on the roof and noted a glorious red leaf on Chambeyronia hookeri.

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.7c4dcc18e55b229ebdd9c

• Upvote 14

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Caryota urens, both blooming. Soon to have TWO pickup beds full of seed, assuming the chain saw gods don't act first.

Feather palms in front are Archontophoenix tuckeri.

IMG_2874.thumb.JPG.d89de90bbb3cf127201f5

• Upvote 11

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Butch the big Roystonea regia.

Oleracia to the right, catching up fast.

IMG_2876.thumb.JPG.9d86207ee720405bbd21b

• Upvote 13

Caryota ochlandra, about half the size of urens.

Dypsis leptocheilos to right.

IMG_2875.thumb.JPG.06c12725b23956dcf13b2

• Upvote 12

Note that the roof is bare; I'm re-shingling it. Fun fun fun. Hopefully, this will be penance for all sins, past, present and future. :unsure:

Here's the infamous Redneck Skylight, where the roof rotted from debris from previous owners' (expletive) Brazilian Pepper Trees. (Palms won't do this to your roof!) Joists, fascia, etc., all need to be replaced.

IMG_2877.thumb.JPG.a7691ed48b2abd7c9e653

• Upvote 6

This has been an education. For certain, I've learned why plywood is a material of choice instead of that awful knotty pine board that's up there now.

IMG_2868.thumb.JPG.fe859c1fe4ca034809ce6IMG_2869.thumb.JPG.39aa2c01c61f03c5ba465IMG_2870.thumb.JPG.1a6b09d0926dccda74ee6

• Upvote 6

Wow nice, Would like to get some seeds from your Cayota's and  Chambeyronia's when ready.

Nice pics Dave.

Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dwimss said:

Wow nice, Would like to get some seeds from your Cayota's and  Chambeyronia's when ready.

Nice pics Dave.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the salute, but . . .

You don't want C. urens seed. Too big. I've got some mitis coming down the pipe, much much better, trust me!

23 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks for the salute, but . . .

You don't want C. urens seed. Too big. I've got some mitis coming down the pipe, much much better, trust me!

Thanks Dave, 

I have space for huge caryotas : ) I which to have one day a huge Obtusa or Urens/Maxima !
I have 2 juvenile mitis, 1 is ok and the other one is not doing well maybe because it is in a windy spot or it just doesn't like this place ?

AKefX1B.jpg

6HVUTHT.jpg

Bad one : 

Ra8pu5h.jpg

• Upvote 7

Wonderful pics Dave! That roof job sure looks like a big job. 

Did you get any pics of the Parajubaea TvT from the roof?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I can, and will when I get home from the Dark Tower.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Caryota urens, both blooming. Soon to have TWO pickup beds full of seed, assuming the chain saw gods don't act first.

Feather palms in front are Archontophoenix tuckeri.

IMG_2874.thumb.JPG.d89de90bbb3cf127201f5

DD,

How long in the ground for the urens?

1 minute ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

DD,

How long in the ground for the urens?

About 10 - 11 years.

The most prodigal kids I've ever ever seen. They're 70 feet tall, at least.

8 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Parajubaea tor tor

IMG_3034.thumb.JPG.1820d16d8641b40604af4IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.e6c53c839566cd20f238f

• Upvote 7

Cocothrinax species 

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.83e57edad60a88664b7d3

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

About 10 - 11 years.

The most prodigal kids I've ever ever seen. They're 70 feet tall, at least.

That's just not much time.

I'm really curious as to why that is.

7 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

That's just not much time.

I'm really curious as to why that is.

It's apparently enough time for them . . . .

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

One benefit of the Redneck Skylight is to be able to see the palms up through it.

Parajubaea tor tor

IMG_3076.thumb.JPG.e94cefe5ec4e617515565

• Upvote 2

Roystonea regia

IMG_3075.thumb.JPG.8ccac005e90a026e915ee

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice shots DD.....almost finished with the roof?

Moving there, with all deliberate speed.

Welcome to come visit in the meantime! See the Anatomy of a Roof. Among much else.

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2017, 4:22:55, DoomsDave said:

Parajubaea tor tor

IMG_3034.thumb.JPG.1820d16d8641b40604af4IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.e6c53c839566cd20f238f

And now it's dead.

:badday:

17 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

What happened to it DD?

Phytoptera wilt.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Phytoptera wilt.

I've never even heard of that, but I hope all of mine do not get it!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 8/25/2017, 6:49:40, DoomsDave said:

I was up on the roof and noted a glorious red leaf on Chambeyronia hookeri.

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.7c4dcc18e55b229ebdd9c

Just noticed how perfectly it matches the Toyota Wagon of DoomTM in the background.