IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spindle Palm?

Ivorhooper

Hi all, bought this palm as Hyophorbe verschaffeltii last November.

Please can someone confirm whether this is what it says it is? I have seen pics of young spindle palms and the base of them looks almost black.

I also saw a pic of a Pseudopheonix sargentii seedling yesterday, and it looked the spitting image of this one.

Thanks

IMG_20170823_164347-1296x2304.jpg

IMG_20170823_164334-1296x2304.jpg

IMG_20170823_164941-1296x2304.jpg

9 minutes ago, Monòver said:

99% it is Pseudophoenix sargenti.

Agree. And a very rare find in the UK, I reckon. Slow growing, very much so in your area. It comes from the Caribbean where it gets sun, heat and high humidity. It can take down to about freezing. It is drought tolerant but can rot if kept too wet, esp. in cold weather. Here in SWFL our summers are rainy but our winters are dry. Cold rain means almost certain death for most tropical palms.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the answers. It was meant to be a houseplant! I guess I'll see how it goes.

I wondered why the spear has only grown 33cm since I bought it last November, and it's been outside since May. Its just thinking about opening the spear now.

At this rate I won't get a leaf per year!

On the plus side, it grew slow and steady over winter on a south facing window sill and looked very healthy. I hardly watered it just in case of rot.

• Upvote 1

You've already gotten your answer, but just for fun I'm chiming in to say it's a spitting image of my P. sargentii. Sweet find! :greenthumb:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: