IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's talk Salacca (in cultivation or in habitat)!

Missi

I was fortunate enough to acquire a 1 gallon Salacca multiflora from Floribunda :wub: Jeff said, if I recall correctly, it is an offshoot of his mature specimen which was wild-collected in habitat. In the 2 weeks that it's ben with me, it's doing well! :greenthumb: (knock on wood) :hmm:

Please share about your S. multiflora if you have one. If not, please share about your other Salacca species. Please share anything and everything about Salacca, preferably in cultivation, but I'd love to hear about them in the wild as well!

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I haven't grown S. multiflora so no information on that species.

We do have a mature S. wallichiana at Leu Gardens. It survived the 2009-10 winter with just minor damage. It is probably the hardiest Salacca. Both S. magnifica and S. zalacca were both killed in that winter.

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hi Missi,

Another interesting genus of palms! I have never had the good fortunes of trying this species, but have grown others. Most will do well for me in the ground, they like their feet wet and good rich, organic soils. Cold temp's could be an issue for some, like S. magnifica. But still well worth trying if you can find a plant.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Well, well, well, just so happens I just did a photo feature for our local society newsletter on Salacca. A bit of mental telepathy going on Missi.

I picked up a couple a few years back and were told they were a cultivar called 'Salak Bali' and were supposed to be monoecious rather than dioecious and produces edible fruit.  

Well, don't know about that as detailed descriptions from Genera Palmerum says Salacca is dioecious.

Anyway, this particular cultivar has delicious fruit, slightly astringent but sweet and crunchy. Really pretty tasty. 

Not only tasty, but viable as well. The seed starts germinating within a week of planting in a pot, so they are ready to pop when fresh. 

Here are a few photos from the feature. 

Tim

P1020033.jpg

P1020040.jpg

P1020032.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the gorgeous photos and tips, all! I look forward to reading more comments on the genus (genera?)!

Tim, so lucky you got to try the fruit! I'd love to give it a try!

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Hi Missi,

Another interesting genus of palms! I have never had the good fortunes of trying this species, but have grown others. Most will do well for me in the ground, they like their feet wet and good rich, organic soils. Cold temp's could be an issue for some, like S. magnifica. But still well worth trying if you can find a plant.

I get frosts and occasional freezes in inland Naples :rant:, so I ought to keep mine safe and snug on the lanai. 

• 2 months later...

Just picked up S. zalacca seeds from the post office. The radicles are starting to peek out of 5 of them :wub: Anyone know what's up with the extra-large seed? Is it normal for them to differ so much in size, or could it be another Salacca species (prematurely getting my hopes up)?

IMG_9894.JPG

I took a picture of a gnarly looking spiny palm at Fairchild but it didn't have the ID with it.  Is this in the salacca genus?

20161016_114704.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I took a picture of a gnarly looking spiny palm at Fairchild but it didn't have the ID with it.  Is this in the salacca genus?

20161016_114704.jpg

That is a big, bad Salacca Magnifica. I know a few people who have successfully grown this palm in the ground in Broward for many years and cold nights, however 2010 was just to much for them.  

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

Here is a pic of my Salacca Dransfieldiana in ground. If you look close you can see it has put an offshoot - pretty exciting. Love this plant.

s. Dransieldiana small.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

I also was able to pick up this s. Magnifica from Jeff Searle. It's still in a pot. It has more than doubled in size n 6 months. I'm very surprised at the rate of growth on this plant. Has anyone had experience with the growth rate on the S. Magnifica?

Salacca Magnifica - small.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

On 11/13/2017, 10:07:27, Tracy S said:

Here is a pic of my Salacca Dransfieldiana in ground. If you look close you can see it has put an offshoot - pretty exciting. Love this plant.

s. Dransieldiana small.jpg

May I ask where you found your S. dransfieldiana? Searles as well? That's on my wish list as it stays a manageable size for container culture and I love the leaf form. :wub:  After doing some soul-searching, I decided to take Salacca magnifica off my wish list because it gets just too large. I am told I can grow zalacca in-ground where I live. I'll have to do some experimenting with low-hopes. It's always nice to hope for a surprise though. :lol:

I got the s. Dransfieldiana from Steve Stern about a year and a half a go. Rarepalm.com. There are no females left of the palm but he has a way to create the off spring ( I can't  remember what that is called.) Anyway, you should be able to pick up a plant from him. 

Send pictures when you do☺

This was my first post, so thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

On 11/15/2017, 8:02:25, Tracy S said:

I got the s. Dransfieldiana from Steve Stern about a year and a half a go. Rarepalm.com. There are no females left of the palm but he has a way to create the off spring ( I can't  remember what that is called.) Anyway, you should be able to pick up a plant from him. 

Send pictures when you do☺

This was my first post, so thanks for the feedback.

WELCOME, WELCOME!!! :yay: What a lovely first post it is, indeed! 

Thanks for the info! I'll shoot Steve an email. I have several palms from him, but I just discovered my affinity for Salacca a couple months ago.

On 11/10/2017, 7:58:44, Scott Cohen said:

That is a big, bad Salacca Magnifica. I know a few people who have successfully grown this palm in the ground in Broward for many years and cold nights, however 2010 was just to much for them.  

That would be me.....

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff

Do you still have one in the ground? If so can you tell us about special precautions you take on the cold nights? 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a