IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the secret to Marojejya?

Missi

Bo, It is probably safe to say you had the largest "forest" or grouping of them outside their natural habitat. Truely a beautiful and majestic palm. 

thank you for sharing

aloha

Colin 

On 8/24/2017, 9:53:18, bgl said:

Yeah, this is a truly spectacular palm and those of us who can grow it are indeed fortunate. While this is not quite a "forest" I did plant about 30 of them in a grove in my previous garden here in Leilani Estates. Only have six of them in the ground in my new garden, and might add a few more. :)

2015-01-03 037.JPG

:wub: I think I just died a little :wub:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Thanks Colin and Missi! Here are a few more - again, these are from my old garden and these photos were taken in 2009. The palms are considerably larger today. The tallest of the Marojejyas probably has close to 20 ft of trunk.

2009-09-13 001.JPG

2009-09-13 002.JPG

2009-09-13 003.JPG

• Upvote 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 1 month later...

I have a theory! They need leaf litter in their crown to survive and thrive!(?) The Florida friend who grew the nearly perfect one she recently gifted me kept hers in pots under an oak tree and no special care. The plant had little oak leaves in its crown. I am anal, so I took them out, but last night I had this lightbulb, so this morning I placed a few leaves back in the crown. We shall see! So far this second Marojejya continues to thrive in my care for about 3 weeks with conscious daily waterings (sometimes twice daily :indifferent:). *knock on wood*

I mean, the plant is shaped like it is so that it can catch leaf litter in its native habitat. Maybe I should sprinkle some oak leaves in my Joeys as well!

• Like 1

There could be something to your theory about the leaf litter in the crown Missi as I have observed leaf litter in the crowns of Marojejya insignis in habitat.

DSC_5878.thumb.jpg.a3e5aeb9f8b95e84c527d

DSC_5884.thumb.jpg.47de928f03580a9e29f84

DSC_5915.thumb.jpg.9eb4ef7bd2bc2fee6c035
DSC_5923.thumb.jpg.7d743a5d04f8bcc7a7c31

These conditions are very, very wet at all times, check out this clip I took in Marojejy national park in Madagascar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrkVs8qarjg&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 3

DSC_5894.thumb.jpg.a72d8cb0e22ba9ce9da91

Occasionally they reach through the canopy

DSC_5892.thumb.jpg.a8e28f273412f9848f5d0
DSC_5903.thumb.jpg.2ddae9923a0d37852d95b

A glimps of the extremely rare silky sifaka (Propithecus candidus) just meters from the Marojejya insignis population

DSC_5928.thumb.jpg.ecb71ce13b486b5cd3dfe

• Upvote 3

On 10/19/2017, 10:27:23, Yort said:

DSC_5894.thumb.jpg.a72d8cb0e22ba9ce9da91

Occasionally they reach through the canopy

DSC_5892.thumb.jpg.a8e28f273412f9848f5d0
DSC_5903.thumb.jpg.2ddae9923a0d37852d95b

A glimps of the extremely rare silky sifaka (Propithecus candidus) just meters from the Marojejya insignis population

DSC_5928.thumb.jpg.ecb71ce13b486b5cd3dfe

INCREDIBLE photos! Thanks so much for sharing them! I want to grab that little lemur(?) and cuddle it! I mean, it NEEDS me to cuddle it! C'mere lil fella! :wub:

I believe I read in The Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms that Marojejya (or it might have be in re: to Joeys) are shaped as they are to collect leaf litter, and that thought randomly popped back into my head! Simulate native habitat, right!

On 8/23/2017, 8:36:54, Jeff Searle said:

Some very good points made here. And I'll give you the best advise. You can have some limited success with these here in south Florida BUT only in pots. I was the first one to try these, I had hundreds of them in small pots that I grew from seed back in late 1991. I had to protect them when Hurricane Andrew hit in 92. So I have grown my share! I have never seen a plant grown successfully in the ground here past about 3 years or so. And I'm not positive why. You can water it until your blue in the face, but that's only part of the equation.

The leaves are constantly getting some degree of tip burn, which a various of reasons can cause this. My advice to you....grow other species that are much more easier to grow and enjoy!!

Jeff

If someone as experienced as Jeff hasnt been able to get one to work in south florida in the ground, I think I'd cross that one off my list as an in ground palm.  Ive had good success with some palm species and not so good with some others.  I could have saved myself the time and aggravation and skipped some species if I had had this kind of experienced advice.  Florida climate and soils makes some palms easy and alternately others are better left alone.  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 23/8/2017 15:14:21, Missi said:

Ah hah! Here is a pic of my Marojejya right after I unboxed it. It does look a bit stressed here. Perhaps the lack of relative humidity in the box started it on its swift journey downhill, then the handful of weird hot, dry summer days we've been having here in Naples lately finally did it in?

36426220436_1ab5edf628_o.jpg

THE BOOK, THE PALMS, from THE NURSERY; I believe I know what are your dreams in the night !

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 10/21/2017, 7:45:02, doranakandawatta said:

THE BOOK, THE PALMS, from THE NURSERY; I believe I know what are your dreams in the night !

:yay:

And here is my gifted M. darianii. It's been growing in FL, I think almost 3 years now. Hopefully I can keep it growing well. :wacko:

2FullSizeRender.jpg

3FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Newest leaf has completely opened now. Still no brown tips! For me, each day is a miracle! :floor::wub:

IMG_9849.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/7/2017 at 3:52 PM, Missi said:

Newest leaf has completely opened now. Still no brown tips! For me, each day is a miracle! :floor::wub:

IMG_9849.JPG

Hi Missi, since you have managed growing it for 3 yrs what are you doing and not doing to keep it alive? Luckily ?? I read all this after I decided to get one and of course I think I really need your 

advice and expertise to make it right.I hope you read this!