IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Encephalartos Longifolus (blue) and E. Longifolus (Green) leaves slowly turning brown - please help

Ka'ula

On Aug 2, 201 I noticed my blue E. Longifolus turning brown on some of the outer leaves.  I checked the caudex and it appears intact.  The green E. Longifolus next to it appears to be having some of the same issues as well.  I put up an extra shade cloth but cannot figure out if it has stopped or what to do.  I also asked Phil Bergman and he thought from photos possibly sunburn.  I should mention I am off El Camino Real in Carlsbad, CA and the plants did have a bit more shade the previous year as I had trimmed some trees back.  I did add an additional  shade cloth for protection.  I did also find the following tiny small brown unknown particles on the leaves but cannot make out what they are?  Additionally, sap is leaking from the plants, is this a pest, a cultural issue with soil or simply burn from the sun in the AM on a hot day?  Please help - Appreciate the insight Fred 

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0614 (3).jpg

I haven't seen leaves quite like that before.  Oozing is caused by too much water.  Lots of rain or over watering cycads will cause ooze.  Get rid of shade!  E. Longi's love full sun even here in blazing Corona.  Mine have seen 113 f. with no problems.  I suspect the specks fell on the cycad from plants above.

Randy

• Upvote 1

test

Fred,

The leaves that burned, do you know when they originally flushed?

If they flushed during a heat wave, this could the result. I have experienced this in my garden but not with either of those cycads. 

If this were a princeps, I would say this is normal. Most of my princeps completely defoliate right before they push a new set of leaves. The leaves die off very quickly. Seeing that at least one of your plants might be about to push new leaves or a cone, this could just be the plant using all of its energy to pushing the new growth or cone. I just have never seen this happen with encephalartos longifolius before. Cycads do weird things all the time. Encephalartos will ooze when you cut leaves and cones off the plants as well and usually has something to do with moisture as mentioned above. It is definitely not something to worry about. All my longifolius (green and blue) take full Escondido sun and love it. Maybe not as hot as Randy but still pretty hot (up to 107). I have had leaves burn on these plants, but only after a new leaf flush on the hottest of the summer days. Your plants should take full blazing sun in Carlsbad. I personally would remove the shade cloth. I don't believe it is necessary for this species. Good luck and please update us on the progress.

The leaves that burned flushed about 8 months to a year ago if memory serves me correct.  From your feedback I am hopeful this is either be preparation for pushing.  I may have over watered a bit too much water during the recent humidity wave we had in early August?  Other than that I'll obviously wait it out.  Thanks for the insight everyone - Fred

One item I wanted to mention is the blue cycad is actually Lehmanii and not longoifolus.  Would the above be the same or would Lehmanii require shade?

1 hour ago, Ka'ula said:

One item I wanted to mention is the blue cycad is actually Lehmanii and not longoifolus.  Would the above be the same or would Lehmanii require shade?

Both need sun.

I agree with Jim 100%, full sun on both of them. How often are you watering them? I water at most once a week and I am in inland Escondido and usually get about 10-15 degrees hotter than Carlsbad. I would say if u are watering more than once a week to maybe cut back on your watering as well, although if you have free draining soil it shouldn't really matter. It is always frustrating when leaves turn brown on cycads since they only flush once a year. Hopefully you will get a nice big flush on both of them prior to going into winter. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you again appreciate the information.  I'll hope for a nice flush and post an update if it happens. Thanks-   Fred

Hi Ka'ula, the moderator will probably move this thread to Tropical Plant forum. They try to keep this one relevant only to palms.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

I water at most once a week and I am in inland Escondido and usually get about 10-15 degrees hotter than Carlsbad. I would say if u are watering more than once a week to maybe cut back on your watering as well, although if you have free draining soil it shouldn't really matter.

On 8/19/2017, 9:59:12, Ka'ula said:

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

I'm growing Encephalartos longifolius & lehmannii in both SW Carlsbad and Leucadia, and will encourage you to lose the shadecloth.  Both species appreciate more sun than you can give them.  I can water more in Leucadia than Carlsbad, but that is soil driven.  More sand and faster draining in Leucadia, more clay which retains water in Carlsbad.  The oozing on both, is likely driven by too much water and too little sun.  Your photo of the brown spots, looks like scale to me.  Again, more sun will help, but you can also blast them off with a spray of high pressure water the next time they need watering or mix a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent in with water into a spray bottle and blast them.  Getting them off sooner will help with keeping them off when it flushes.  I had problems with one longifolius I transplanted, which got a combination of black mold dropping off a neighbor's plant, and scale on a new flush.  Normally scale can't do much harm once the leaflets harden off, but they can be very problematic on soft new leaflets which are pushing.  You can look up more on Cycads and Encephalartos in the "Tropical plant other than Palm" forum as Tim above mentions.  Good luck and be patient... your probably just one flush away from beauty again!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update, both plants flushed after I backed off and let nature take its course.  They flushed in June/July 2-18 and the culprit appears to be the removal of a tree that was blocking the A.M. sunlight.  When the tree was removed they turned brown or were sunburned as Phil Bergman suggested.  Thank you all for your insight.