IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC SEPTEMBER 2017 MEETING

DoomsDave

September 16, 2017 MEETING

TAKE A DEEP BREATH

The PSSC’s September 16, 2017 will be at two gardens in Orange County: Bill Dickenson and Bob Burtscher, both in Fullerton, in the northern part of the county. Mr. Dickenson has shown his garden a number of times before; Mr, Buirtscher’s garden is hosting a meeting for the first time.

FIRST GARDEN

Bill Dickenson started his garden so long ago, it’s a bit scary; back in the 1970s, when he first bought his house overlooking a nearby golf course. A long-time and continuing Board member, Mr. Dickenson has some marvelously mature specimens for your viewing pleasure, the crown jewel of which is his very own hybrid between a Queen Palm, Syagrus romanzoffianum and Lytocaryum wedellianum, plus a number of F2 babies of same. Additional highlights include a mature Roystonea regia and the largest Ravenala madagascarensis I’ve seen in California. The address is 2313 Lark Ellen Drive, Fullerton, CA 92835.

SECOND GARDEN

Bob and Judy Burtscher’s home and garden sit on a half-acre hillside in Fullerton. The Burtschers aren’t the types to get little plants in liners and gallons and wait; they step up and get the big stuff. Some of the Burtscher’s big stuff is really big and really spectacular, including: (a) a mature Kentiopsis pyriformis, which is blooming and might be seeding, with about 10 feet (3.3 M) of trunk; (b) a mature, seeding, Dypsis saintluciei, which is at least as tall; (c) a mature, seeding Dypsis leptocheilos, with about 16 feet (5.3 M) of trunk; and (d) a mature, seeding Chambeyronia macrocarpa, with about 8 feet (2.6 M) of trunk. Other highlights include a number of mature Cocothinriax, a koi pond, and the largest Hyphorbe verschaffeltii I’ve seen so far in California. If you’ve wondered what some of your rare babies will look like at maturity, come and see! Bring your cameras, your sense of wonder and a few bucks for the auction. The address is 518 Miguel Place, Fullerton, CA 92835.

ITINERARY

9:30 A.M. Board of Directors meeting at Dickenson Garden

10:30-11:30 A.M. Tours of Dickenson Garden

Leave Dickenson Garden go to Burtscher Garden

12:30 P.M. Potluck lunch

1:30 P.M. General Meeting

2:30 PM Auction

4:00 P.M. Adjourn

DIRECTIONS

TO FIRST GARDEN

From northbound or southbound 57 freeway, exit Imperial Highway, and go west, towards the setting sun, get into the turning lane in the center and go south, left, on State College Boulevard, go past a golf course, go left on Lark Ellen Drive, go to left as Lark Ellen curves around. 2313 is the house with the giant Roystonea out front, among much else.

TO SECOND GARDEN

Exit first garden, go back to State College, turn left (south); turn right on Bastanchury keep going until you get to Harbor Boulevard, pass Harbor intersection, go right on Laguna Road, curve around until you get to Domingo Road, right on Domingo, Miguel Place is on the left. 518 is the house with the palms. Take a deep breath and park.

POTLUCK

This will be a potluck meeting. Chicken will be provided, but all attendees are welcome to bring their own food. If you like it, we will too! Salad, dessert, canapes, stew, all are welcome and will be devoured by the hungry attending horde.

AUCTION

There will be an auction at this meeting. The auctions are a vital source of funding for the Society, and anyone may donate plants. You have the option of either donating 100% of the proceeds, or 50% for plants sold at the auction. Minimum auction price is $20; plants that don’t sell for that much will be retired from the bidding. The best plants are rare palms in 1 to 5 gallon pots.

Thanks to all of you for your support! If you have any questions shoot me a PM, private message.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's some pics.

Dypsis lanceolata.

IMG_2621.thumb.JPG.09d07db9ec08210876debIMG_2622.thumb.JPG.34c5e4dbf193d86491c3c

Kentiopsis pyriformis!

IMG_2623.thumb.JPG.086dd718a01891198463a

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bizzie

IMG_2932.thumb.JPG.f7603106559385c986ad6

Kentiopsis pyriformis

IMG_2919.thumb.JPG.80f7005f7b63e90e977f0

• Upvote 2

Pyriformis inflorescences.

20 years from a gallon plant.

Hope you can make it!

IMG_2920.thumb.JPG.8bff11cab6d7fa1a11ccc

• Upvote 1

Dypsis prestoniana 

IMG_2927.thumb.JPG.d75c448f923a07a6277beIMG_2928.thumb.JPG.7bd301caab41dc08d7af9IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.066e1193e4afc841b91b4IMG_2930.thumb.JPG.f3e07fce669012141fc16

• Upvote 1

The Enchanted Steps 

With the Ghost Finger. :rolleyes:

IMG_2954.thumb.JPG.d58e79f8cd26aaeda5079

• Upvote 1

Dypsis plumosa fat and fantastic 

IMG_3022.thumb.JPG.efbfec3a38fee2b99a007IMG_3021.thumb.JPG.2b33ceb26d9cf6aa31a3e

• Upvote 1

Was just invited and went to Bob's yard on this past Monday. As Dave would say, URK! what a stunning place, and if you are a fan of the large Dypsis like I am, Bob's place is near Utopia! I hope to post a few pics soon, but at least 12-15 of the big guys, most near trunking size!! :drool::drool:

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dave and BS Man are right.  Bob invited us last week for a tour  and his place blew us away. Fantastic garden. I love everything about this garden. I hope everyone can make it. I already can't wait to go back. I know I probably missed seeing some gems.  See you all there!

On 8/25/2017, 10:54:52, BS Man about Palms said:

Was just invited and went to Bob's yard on this past Monday. As Dave would say, URK! what a stunning place, and if you are a fan of the large Dypsis like I am, Bob's place is near Utopia! I hope to post a few pics soon, but at least 12-15 of the big guys, most near trunking size!! :drool::drool:

urk

Just a few pics... Come take better pics!!! 

Dypsis betafaka

20170821_104125_resized.thumb.jpg.580cfc

Stalagmites!! 

20170821_105753_resized.thumb.jpg.e642a0

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

One of the biggest and nicest Dypsis robustas I know of in So Cal!

20170821_124943_resized.thumb.jpg.60af1c

Dypsis tokoravina

20170821_104827_resized.thumb.jpg.451be0

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

One of the biggest and nicest Dypsis robustas I know of in So Cal!

20170821_124943_resized.thumb.jpg.60af1c

Dypsis tokoravina

20170821_104827_resized.thumb.jpg.451be0

It's alive in the ground!

That's a nice change!

• 2 weeks later...

There's gonna be an auction

and a potluck

So who's coming?

Ollie ollie oxen-free!

• 4 weeks later...

Fun day indeed!!!

Dave always puts on a graet show indeed  at auction time!!!

a big shout out To Larry Black, Don Martin and Mr. Casey for making this day a success!!!

always fun to see my fellow palm-talkers.

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Fun day indeed!!!

Dave always puts on a graet show indeed  at auction time!!!

a big shout out To Larry Black, Don Martin and Mr. Casey for making this day a success!!!

always fun to see my fellow palm-talkers.

And, thanks to you for the plants for the auction.

We raised a lot.

And, a second scream of shout out to Don, Larry, and Casey.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2017, 8:30:44, DoomsDave said:

And, thanks to you for the plants for the auction.

We raised a lot.

And, a second scream of shout out to Don, Larry, and Casey.

scream!!!!!!!!

now it 3 screams :)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

19 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

scream!!!!!!!!

now it 3 screams :)

PLUS A MIGHTY URK!

• Upvote 1