IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida people, which fence is best; cypress, pine or vinyl?

Eric in Orlando

We are getting ready to replace a nearly 20 year old wood fence in the back. Trying to decide what would be best, cypress, pressure treated pine or vinyl. Beyond the fence is a green space with a swale for drainage. During deluges the swale overflows and the water flows into our yard. It sometimes erodes areas under the fence. But water never stands, it drains right away. Even after tropical storms and hurricanes.

Does anyone have any experiences of what would be better for Florida conditions? Does vinyl actually hold up? Seems like it is a pain to keep clean (mildew/algae) especially using bleach/chemicals as all of my fence has rare plants and palms in front. Also I have heard vinyl is more flexible and prone to damage. The greenspace behind is is maintained by a service who mow up to the fence.

Thanks!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We need a privacy fence. And we have a Great Dane so need the height. Thanks!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Slight rant here.

I think that the wooden fence racket is a sham in the humid South .   A never ending replacement cycle .

Even the Vinyl fences that I have seen use Vinyl sleeves over the 4x4 wooden  posts.

They are a sure bet to rot away from the soil line down about 8-12" or so , vinyl and PT or not .

The post are the key issue .  The industry should sell a permanent type of post , and then the fence between could be 

kept above the soil line , and be the only replacement pert of the system . Or that portion could be a more permanent material .

Chain link attracts vines and tangled vegetation like a magnet . Putting the little plastic strips in there for privacy is not

real attractive either .

Farm and ranch fences have hell for stout posts , and the maintenance goes on the fence part .

As the old ad said " pay me now , or pay me later "       ( Purolater )

My 2 cents .

Vinyl is the way to go.  The posts on 8' centers are rigid vinyl with dry cement  poured into them.  No rot issues.  The fence panels between are not really strong structurally, so no climbing on them, but they last forever as just a privacy fence.  Never had a problem with mildew/algae and certainly a vinyl fence would be cleaner than a wooden one.

When Hurricane Wilma came through here 11 years or so ago, it  blew down a small portion on my vinyl fence, but left the posts up.  As the eye came through we went out and secured all the loose plastic boards in the shed.  Later, after the storm passed, we just reconstructed the fence as we saved all the boards.  Easy-peasey with no nails just some elbow grease and a neighbor.

To keep the maintenance guys away from the other side of the fence, you can just spray a 12" swath with weed killer a few times a year and they won't have to mow close.

Edited by Jerry@TreeZoo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros