IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When you finally have some shade

MattyB

10 years ago our yard was a sun drenched rocky hillside dry as a bone. Now after 10 years of creating a garden we finally have some shade and some of those gems that can be grown in it. 

Here's Pinanga kuhlii and coronata

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

Edited by MattyB
  • Upvote 15

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The prettiest palm that can be grown in SoCal...Hedescepy cantaburiana

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

• Upvote 16

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Cyphosperma balanse finally released from its rabbit cage. 

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

• Upvote 16

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

What shady nuggets are you growing?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You have got it made in the shade!

How about some nice Dypsis utilis, coronata and fibrosa?

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am so impressed! I remember your photos of a comparative desert and you have now created a jungle. Congratulations! 

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Wow, great canopy you have there! I have very little shade at my place, save for in a very small space in the backyard beneath a magnolia tree. I'm creating a canopy from scratch, but at the moment most of my yard bakes under the relentless and unforgiving sun. 

• Upvote 2

I'm also growing a canopy from scratch here in Sacramento. I'm mainly concerned with summer shade, less so re. winter protection. These are the non-palm species I'm using that do well in the heat/cold where I live and are giving my understory palms the protection they need here:

Brachychiton acerifolius
Brachychiton discolor
Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata'
Feijoa sellowiana (Acca sp.)
Handroanthus impetiginosus (Tabebuia sp.)
Albizia julibrissin (‘Summer Chocolate’ mimosa)
Caesalpinia mexicana

• Upvote 5

Three more in-ground species I neglected to list that I'm also using for canopy shade:

Chilopsis linearis
Bauhinia × blakeana
Bauhinia variegata 'Candida'

• Upvote 3

Some shade: Morning sun till 11:00am. Shade for the rest of the day.

Two Ravenea hildebrantii and one Adonidia merrillii

20170814_115639.jpg

• Upvote 4

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Three more in-ground species I neglected to list that I'm also using for canopy shade:

Chilopsis linearis
Bauhinia × blakeana
Bauhinia variegata 'Candida'

I try to grow also  B xblakeana to the purpose of providing shade to a adjacent Chamaedorea. If former is exposed to full sun and water is less than plenty, it tends to shed the leaves in order to flower prolifically and a complete new foliage takes all summer long to be generated. So palms needing shade won't have it during the most crucial time. 

IMG_20170812_174306.thumb.jpg.dd1ce8bd9eIMG_20170514_094418.thumb.jpg.01baacf172

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I try to grow also  B xblakeana to the purpose of providing shade to a adjacent Chamaedorea. If former is exposed to full sun and water is less than plenty, it tends to shed the leaves in order to flower prolifically and a complete new foliage takes all summer long to be generated. So palms needing shade won't have it during the most crucial time. 

IMG_20170812_174306.thumb.jpg.dd1ce8bd9eIMG_20170514_094418.thumb.jpg.01baacf172

Beautiful tree! I wish I could get my B x blakeana to bloom like yours! I only get occasional flowers and not every year. Perhaps I water it too much during the summer? I have more luck with Jacaranda cuspidifolia blooming each spring and providing shade all summer. 

• Upvote 2

I have to agree with your assessment of Hedyscepe... I recall when I was a newbie in the Palm Society and Marty Darian's opinion was definitely otherwise, calling it one of the ugliest and least interesting palms one can grow in California.  Perhaps he was kidding?  He sure did not seem to be.  Funny that one of the best photos I have taken of this species is of Marty's own palm.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I'm also growing a canopy from scratch here in Sacramento. I'm mainly concerned with summer shade, less so re. winter protection. These are the non-palm species I'm using that do well in the heat/cold where I live and are giving my understory palms the protection they need here:

Brachychiton acerifolius
Brachychiton discolor
Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata'
Feijoa sellowiana (Acca sp.)
Handroanthus impetiginosus (Tabebuia sp.)
Albizia julibrissin (‘Summer Chocolate’ mimosa)
Caesalpinia mexicana

OH MY GOD

Ahem

Watch for that B. acerfolius. It gets big. Hope you have room.

If not, a chain saw's your bud. RNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

OH MY GOD

Ahem

Watch for that B. acerfolius. It gets big. Hope you have room.

If not, a chain saw's your bud. RNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Thanks for the warning.  So far, my Brachychiton discolor is the bigger of the two species and starting to provide some great shade for two cycads beneath it. It hasn't bloomed yet though. The temperate climate here in interior NorCal may suppress the growth tendencies of my Brachychiton trees, which I understand reach their full potential in more subtropical climes. I'll let you know what happens...

• Upvote 2

Lookin' great Matty! I've got so much canopy in my garden now that the only sun to reach the ground is some on my back patio and out front at the street. I'm not complaining. I think many of the shade loving palms are some of the loveliest. Matty, your garden is a masterpiece and only getting better!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

50 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Lookin' great Matty! I've got so much canopy in my garden now that the only sun to reach the ground is some on my back patio and out front at the street. I'm not complaining. I think many of the shade loving palms are some of the loveliest. Matty, your garden is a masterpiece and only getting better!

Planning on any photo updates of yours Jim?

Great looking palms Matty.  When are you having people over for salad? :floor:

Looks like you have the gophers under control? 

Any recommendations for canopy trees (preferably palms) for those of us still working to establish palms in the merciless sun surrounded by dozens of gophers? 

Good to see you hanging around PT more again.  Your insights, commentsand snark have been missed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Planning on any photo updates of yours Jim?

Adam, at Summer's end or early fall I'll do an update. Stuffs growing like crazy this year.

• Upvote 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Matt

your garden is looking amazing as always Hedyscepe canterburyana looks perfect and its one that i can grow here in full sun.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Matty

Your garden has certainly grown a lot since my last visit, your place is turning into a tropical paradise

Regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

On 8/15/2017, 10:28:19, Hillizard said:

Thanks for the warning.  So far, my Brachychiton discolor is the bigger of the two species and starting to provide some great shade for two cycads beneath it. It hasn't bloomed yet though. The temperate climate here in interior NorCal may suppress the growth tendencies of my Brachychiton trees, which I understand reach their full potential in more subtropical climes. I'll let you know what happens...

In my experience, these grow proportionate to the amount of water they receive. Populneus is pretty common in the Fresno area. I grew one from seed that skyrocketted to about 30 feet tall in 5 years, while older trees in poorly-watered street medians are 20 feet tall and compact. I gave away about 30 acerifolius seedlings to members of our neighborhood group and have been keeping my eye on a couple that are starting to appear in front yards across the neighborhood. One neighbor across the street has one that is just starting to put on some height, but they seem rather slow in our climate. 

On 8/16/2017, 4:56:32, Laaz said:

Matt, haw are your Syagrus 'abreojos' doing? Do them look anything like the mother tree?

Yes! Please let us know. Or better yet, show us!

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2017, 10:28:19, Hillizard said:

12 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

In my experience, these grow proportionate to the amount of water they receive. Populneus is pretty common in the Fresno area. I grew one from seed that skyrocketted to about 30 feet tall in 5 years, while older trees in poorly-watered street medians are 20 feet tall and compact. I gave away about 30 acerifolius seedlings to members of our neighborhood group and have been keeping my eye on a couple that are starting to appear in front yards across the neighborhood. One neighbor across the street has one that is just starting to put on some height, but they seem rather slow in our climate. 

Yes! Please let us know. Or better yet, show us!

Well, okay.

Sounds like a-folius is a bit slow up there. Which is good. Fast elephants can be a pain in the posterior if you're not riding them. A-folii can be serious elephants with time, I mean like 6 - 8 foot diameter trunks, with massive buttress roots.

Be careful . . . .

599705f769ad0_manspinsonfloorcleanerfall

• Upvote 3

Matt,

you are already where I will be hopefully within the next three, four years.

Starting from the scratch, no shadow, almost totally dry soil, enormous heat from spring until fall -

it is almost the same story. I can already see what difference it makes when you have some slight shadow -

it opens so many doors of new opportunities - I am really looking forward to get my canopy established.

Thank you for this thread -

best regards

Lars

On 8/13/2017, 7:29:36, MattyB said:

The prettiest palm that can be grown in SoCal...Hedescepy cantaburiana

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

I love that you have selected some atypical palms for your canopy.  I see trunks of Dypsis leptocheilos in the background of the second shot.  In my Carlsbad garden, I used more typical canopy, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Howea belmoreana to try to create most of my canopy... well that and one monster Caryota gigas.  I have tried to avoid the typical canopy items this time around (typical for Southern California that is).  I still have a couple of years to go before being able to put in many understory palms in Leucadia, but some items which would burn are now "co-shading" so that they all get some sun, but none are just getting full day sun now.   Your advice to me many years ago on using banana's for temporary shade has also helped in a couple of spots.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

My "co-shading" example photos are below.  Banana to the west, shading the Burretiokentia hapala, which gives some shade to the Howea belmoreana.  The Dypsis pembana on the opposite side of the wall (south), also provides some shade to the Dypsis lanceola, H. belmoreana and B. hapala.  East of the D lanceolata, there is a clump of Dypsis lutescens which also filters some early morning sun coming down on the D lanceolata.  So while I still don't have any real canopy, only the D. pembana gets real full all day sun.  Since you are so far ahead, I will be able to get advice on the best understory small palms to put in some day when I do have some canopy!  Thanks for sharing Matt!

20170819-104A7236.jpg

20170819-104A7250.jpg

• Upvote 5

Looking real good!

From the growth of your garden one would not have known that just a few years ago it was a sun baked 

slope of grass and rocks. It must really stand out now when you see it from the highway below. 

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 8/13/2017, 7:30:48, MattyB said:

Cyphosperma balanse finally released from its rabbit cage. 

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

Sweet release!  How many leaves per year are you getting on this now Matty?

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2017, 12:11:18, Jim in Los Altos said:

Adam, at Summer's end or early fall I'll do an update. Stuffs growing like crazy this year.

Jim, looking forward to that visual update! :D

Edited by Hammer
  • Upvote 1

...you finally get your huge Rhapis species out of your lanai and into the ground to make room for rarer things! Part/full sun Rhapis in S. FL are sad and scary to behold :bummed: Now, if only I could put my Howea forsteriana in the ground...No, no...the right plan is obviously to extend my lanai. Duh Missi! :rolleyes::lol:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Yes shade is very important. Nice jungle look you have now, Matty.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

More Dypsis leptocheilos canopy would be a great thing 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

More Dypsis leptocheilos canopy would be a great thing 

I like this idea! I have several 3 gallons that prefer shade though. When in partial sun, they bleach out :( Maybe it's that their roots get too hot in the black pots in the sun? :hmm: I'm going to plant them in-ground this coming spring and see how they do!

Just now, Missi said:

I like this idea! I have several 3 gallons that prefer shade though. When in partial sun, they bleach out :( Maybe it's that their roots get too hot in the black pots in the sun? :hmm: I'm going to plant them in-ground this coming spring and see how they do!

I think that might be the problem. I have a bunch that did that and perked up a lot in shade.

My grown plants take full sun no problem, though they did get some shade till they overgrew the roof of the house.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I think that might be the problem. I have a bunch that did that and perked up a lot in shade.

My grown plants take full sun no problem, though they did get some shade till they overgrew the roof of the house.

Okay, that sounds good. I can find a location like that. Your feedback makes me feel a bit more comfortable with putting them in the ground!