IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID Serena pepens?

sashaeffer

Bought through EBay vendor saying it was a blue Serena repens.   I have other smaller ones in the ground of both the blue and green variety and when getting this palm clearly didn't look like my others even after contacting the seller and then the assuring  me what it was. 

It's  one season in the groundFor the firstseason didn't grow it all in the fronds that were there originally burned away even under protection. This is a south facing wall so gets much more sun and warmth and my other two in the ground That have never shown any cold damage.

this year however the palm has really taken off with growth not fast but moderate and steady. I've been really curious as to what kind of palm this really is.

could it be a Sabal palmetto?

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

Edited by sashaeffer
  • Upvote 1

If it's a Sabal it is too close to the house. Too close for a Serenoa BTW.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If it's a Sabal it is too close to the house. Too close for a Serenoa BTW.

I always keep in mind any palms here that I plant in the ground will not grow as fast, or as tall as they would in their native habitat. The two other Serena repens that I have in the ground have shown very, very little growth. They have gotten fuller, but not taller.

If palm in photo for ID is a Sabal Palmetto who knows if the fronds will burn off every winter but not kill the palm and it has to start all over again never allowing it to be anymore than a palm shrub.

5 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Saw palmetto stem...20170813_161438.jpg

Yep mad at myself for forgetting about that fact. Smooth legs on mine(see pic)

IMG_8468.JPG

• Upvote 1

For sure sable. My silvers have a bunch of fruit, if you want some seed in a month or two. Real easy to germinate.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Laaz said:

For sure sable. My silvers have a bunch of fruit, if you want some seed in a month or two. Real easy to germinate.

I'd take some but have horrible luck with seed germination

These are simple, keep them warm & the soil moist & they pop easy. I might have some from last fall, Let me check.

The thing with these is you need to remove the outer shell for faster germination...

Edited by Laaz
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2017, 2:20:03, Laaz said:

20170813_171739.jpg

nice!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

bummer on the wrong palm Scott. Maybe it will turn out to me something cool?

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, Josh-O said:

bummer on the wrong palm Scott. Maybe it will turn out to me something cool?

Consensus here is a  Sabal Palmetto. Will be curious if it defoliates this winter under protection like last year..but still lived.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Consensus here is a  Sabal Palmetto. Will be curious if it defoliates this winter under protection like last year..but still lived.

Hi Scott,

I grow a number of forms of saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) here in Pennsylvania.  I can tell you with 100% confidence that your plant is not a Serenoa. 

It does look very much like my dwarf palmetto (Sabal minor) that overwintered without protection here in zone 6b, central Pennsylvania... until you mentioned that its' fronds burned off even with protection... which brought me to it being a Sabal palmetto.

Best regards,

Hylton

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Scott - here is a pic that captures both my Sabal minor (in ground) and a green saw palmetto (in pot in background). My Sabal minors were not protected at all last winter here in central Pennsylvania and were perfectly fine.  That's why I'm going with yours being a Sabal palmetto due to its' leaves being harmed last winter, even with protection.

20170806_080308.jpg

17 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

I hope it will do OK for you. You defiantly have a green thumb :)

Sunset zone 24

Oh, I've lost my fair share of palms but have best luck with the ones planted outside. But thanks!