IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Three and I'm done for awhile?

Cindy Adair

No hurricanes here in PR recently, but some storms took their toll on my long driveway as reported previously here. For those who tell me life occurs in threes, let's hope I can at least complete clean up and reassess prevention now. 

Here is are before photos from June 23.

DSCN6679.thumb.jpg.d85547d470a20070e6ed7

DSCN6680.thumb.jpg.323e0e7eba80ec61d6b1c

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

This 70 pound off island visitor was first on the scene to help me merely locate the palm immediately after we heard the crash.

DSCN6914.thumb.jpg.e83eb0a3d8f2f5c75c570

Still raining we chopped and hauled debris carefully to see if there was a chance of saving this innocent victim palm tree. Really difficult to see but we eventually found it.

DSCN6916.thumb.JPG.e71c96b75dc764b917e9c

DSCN6923.thumb.jpg.1ab9e16fc66e40ec9b671

DSCN6921.thumb.jpg.e4ab45689578be57b9949

The photos above are of the newest growth pushed upwards from it's bent down position and braced until I could wrap it.

Below is the plastic wrap I had handy, removed later.

DSCN6925.thumb.jpg.0cad53bf6003112346660

Then I dug the poor thing up since lots more branches and the base of the trunk above on the neighbor's land yet to fall or be removed.

IMG_0028.thumb.jpg.dc348afb250049b38e53b

Here is one more after to show after hours of work my driveway is accessible.

IMG_0033.thumb.jpg.2440bfbe9f4808fe35af1

The palm is now better splinted and protected from wind next to a big croton. Too dark yet this morning for a photo.

Think this palm will survive to be replanted later someplace safer?

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Cindy, that's enough bad luck for awhile, right?

Yes, I think the palm will easily survive, provided enough roots made it back into the pot. Actually I should rephrase that -- "if the palm is not root sensitive." I don't know how well they transplant, haven't had to do that.

In my garden, several palms have been hit by falling trees, big heavy trees, skinning branches of the trunk, pushing the trunk to one side, or bending spears, and they just kept growing in place. While the impact slowed them down, soon enough the damage was no longer obvious. However, a direct hit in the growing point has killed a few. I get very jumpy when the wind blows in strong gusts; give me the gentle trade winds any day.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks for the comments Kim! I would feel better if I could have left my poor palm in place to recover. I felt I had no choice when I look above and see more that gravity and weather will likely bring down. Or maybe they will rot in place or I can get help and remove them, who knows?

Anyway, I took a few shots of the palm now far away from the unstable area. So far the leaves above the injuries look fine.

DSCN6938.thumb.jpg.5266ff3d3077a3beb1c00

DSCN6938.thumb.jpg.5266ff3d3077a3beb1c00

DSCN6937.thumb.jpg.f76172f36a25014309c2b

And I continue to go to my rural farm gym equivalent every morning to clear more debris.

DSCN6939.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy, I know how frustrating it can be to have limbs and trees falling on prized palms. We benefit greatly from this canopy ,but it is a blessing and a curse. I think it is all part of the circle of life in a tropical forest. I have to do major pruning every year to open pockets of sunlight for my plants.

Sometimes nature does the pruning and I am lucky, somtimes not so much.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

No gophers and no feral pigs so I should truly count my blessings as you suggest!

And maybe prune more too while I am counting, although the recent tree that fell was totally from my neighbor's farm above me.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

well

you're handing the travails well

My C. oredi-whatever just died

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

well

you're handing the travails well

My C. oredi-whatever just died

So sorry to hear this Dave. May it RIP.

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Caryota today shows the new spear pushing although many of the leaflets are turning brown. If they supplied a little energy to aid the palm during the shock then it was worth the effort. More later when I am more sure it will survive.

However, nature was not yet done. I had a flight booked at 7 am the next morning last week, when I decided to take a leisurely stroll after the usual afternoon shower.

I had been very busy all day and ready to clean up, pack and turn in early. I turned the corner from my house and saw this:

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.573accb901856a8036bb4

Actually I took this photo after shoveling mud for two hours on the left, trying to make room for my car to pass. Width wise I succeeded but since I was slipping in my hiking boots I knew it would be crazy to take the chance with the car.  I found a ride the next day and upon my return rented a car.

The great news is that here in PR the department of transportation is willing to clear my entire driveway next week, dumping the dirt where I ask and even including the issues from my neighbor as well as the road.

No charge.

They will also improve the drainage system on the city owned road to make future issues less likely. Whew, what a relief. Not done yet, but certainly encouraging!

Maybe one day soon I can get back to planting more palms!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

All clear!  They even gave me a 24 hour number to use if needed in the future for such issues. Even my neighbor who has lived here since 1983 was not aware of such an option. Hope I never need it, but sure is comforting.

Rental car returned and the afternoon rain has begun clean up. 

Whew! 

Soon back to figuring out a safer spot for the Caryota ophiopellis and lots more palms awaiting their turn.

IMG_0122.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

It appears that you have a steep slope on your property?

Any long term solutions to avoid/minimize these landslides?

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

All clear!  They even gave me a 24 hour number to use if needed in the future for such issues. Even my neighbor who has lived here since 1983 was not aware of such an option. Hope I never need it, but sure is comforting.

Rental car returned and the afternoon rain has begun clean up. 

Whew! 

Soon back to figuring out a safer spot for the Caryota ophiopellis and lots more palms awaiting their turn.

IMG_0122.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Good to hear the road has been cleared. I never got a good grasp why and how you are getting these frequently recurring landslides until I saw the second picture with the backhoe. That puts everything in perspective. That is a very, very steep hillside.  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

48 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Cindy,

It appears that you have a steep slope on your property?

Any long term solutions to avoid/minimize these landslides?

The rock and concrete designed to hold the city owned road above has slipped so water diverts to my property in a couple of spots during heavy rains. They took photos today and plan repairs.

Another issue is that the gutters on the opposite side of the city road are clogged with dirt and weeds so the water crosses the road to double the flow.

My own side of the city road needs to be cleared of weeds and debris too, which should be the duty of the city, but probably will need to be done by me long term. I have begun which is how they saw the area they photographed today.

Then most of the water should stay above me in the proper channels and guided into intermittent manufactured concrete channels under my driveway. Keeping the vines on the slopes from strangling existing plants like bananas and tree ferns will help too, as eventually the vines and gravity win.

Good thing I am retired. No need for a gym membership!

Plenty of flat areas to plant, but need to keep my roads passable too.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair