IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lipstick palm, Cyrtostachys renda variegated

Jeff Radant

Advice please:

I live in the Los Angeles area (San Fernando Valley).  I want to grow a lipstick palm at my residence outdoors.  I have been told that if I get the variegated or hybrid that they can tolerate cold down to upper 30's.  If it were colder for a few days, I could cover with a sheet and warm them.  Overall, it was suggested that they may survive.

If anyone agrees with this, also where might I buy 2 or 3?

Thanks.

Jeff Radant

On this Forum I have never said never. But in this case - never. Sorry

• Upvote 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

3 hours ago, Jeff Radant said:

Advice please:

I live in the Los Angeles area (San Fernando Valley).  I want to grow a lipstick palm at my residence outdoors.  I have been told that if I get the variegated or hybrid that they can tolerate cold down to upper 30's.  If it were colder for a few days, I could cover with a sheet and warm them.  Overall, it was suggested that they may survive.

If anyone agrees with this, also where might I buy 2 or 3?

Thanks.

Jeff Radant

Never, never.

They die below about 50 F. They won't even grow in South Florida.

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

On this Forum I have never said never. But in this case - never. Sorry

What he said.....

• Upvote 1

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum!  I'm glad you came to the right place to ask this question. I was really looking forward to some sweet photos of a variegated Cyrtostachys renda when I read the thread title. Unfortunately we have all had to bust your bubble on the prospects of growing one anywhere in the state of California. Cyrtostachys needs Hawaii, lucky for you there are all kinds of people on this forum that can suggest some wonderful and uncommon things to grow in palmy Southern California. I hope you are able to find some fun alternatives here. 

• Upvote 4

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Now greenhouse growing is a different story. I grew lots of ultratropicals in a greenhouse in VA before I went all in and moved to the tropics! Oh, in PR there are seedlings of non variegated Cyrtostachys renda for as low as $3-$4 and ones showing red for $10 and up.

You are welcome here anytime and we all have zone pushed (with occasional success) but we hate to see you disappointed trying this one outside in your location. 

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

Thanks everyone !!   Not happy with the news, but at least I know now.  Are there any suggestions for a colorful palm in my Los Angeles area?

Thanks.  Jeff

• Upvote 1

So just to set the record straight, the Sealing Wax hybrids will tolerate extreme low 30's. I proved this during our severe freeze back in 2010 when my temps dropped to 31 vey briefly.  These are a very fast growing palm for me. They love to be fertilized and lots of water week in and week out. In California, because you will have longer periods of cooler weather and very little rain these will grow much slower. I would be interested in hearing from others in California and their experiences.

Jeff

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Unlike in South Florida, the lack of humidity and prolonged chilly weather here in SoCal will probably do them in, even if temps stay higher than the lows in South FL. That's the reason we can't grow coconuts here either, never mind the low temps.

As for colorful palms, what kind of color are you looking for? Because there are plenty to choose from! Start with a nice Chambeyronia, which grows well here and throws a nice red leaf. Several Dypsis are colorful as well, such as leptocheilos with its nice red fuzzy crownshaft and white trunk, baronii, lutescens, heteromorpha, saintelucei, decaryi, ambositrae, decipiens, mirabilis, and many more. Rhopalostylis cheesmanii can give you a dark purplish crownshaft and loves the climate here.

Then there are some exotics such as Dypsis sp. Maroantsetra, rosea, etc. that give you red emergent leaves and colorful trunks, and which can grow here also depending on your particular microclimate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gonzer said:

If anyone here does agree with you, well...

th.jpg

hahahaha

:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dr. Mardy D. has tried this plant well over 100 times and has not had and success.

it's defiantly a no go here unless you have a heated greenhouse

zone 11 plant

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

So just to set the record straight, the Sealing Wax hybrids will tolerate extreme low 30's. I proved this during our severe freeze back in 2010 when my temps dropped to 31 vey briefly.  These are a very fast growing palm for me. They love to be fertilized and lots of water week in and week out. In California, because you will have longer periods of cooler weather and very little rain these will grow much slower. I would be interested in hearing from others in California and their experiences.

Jeff

If you ship me a couple, I will be a guinea pig and report back all you want Jeff! :innocent:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pando said:

Unlike in South Florida, the lack of humidity and prolonged chilly weather here in SoCal will probably do them in, even if temps stay higher than the lows in South FL. That's the reason we can't grow coconuts here either, never mind the low temps.

As for colorful palms, what kind of color are you looking for? Because there are plenty to choose from! Start with a nice Chambeyronia, which grows well here and throws a nice red leaf. Several Dypsis are colorful as well, such as leptocheilos with its nice red fuzzy crownshaft and white trunk, baronii, lutescens, heteromorpha, saintelucei, decaryi, ambositrae, decipiens, mirabilis, and many more. Rhopalostylis cheesmanii can give you a dark purplish crownshaft and loves the climate here.

Then there are some exotics such as Dypsis sp. Maroantsetra, rosea, etc. that give you red emergent leaves and colorful trunks, and which can grow here also depending on your particular microclimate.

Great list of palms to look into, especially Dypsis leptocheilos.  Would add Bismarkia and Dypsis psammophila.  

Talented California palm growers have tried the regular C. renda outdoors and indoors, in pool rooms and even in a humid bathroom, with no success. In a heated and humidity controlled greenhouse, yes, you *might* have success.  I would love to test Jeff's theories about the hybrid; they are surely more cold tolerant, but whether even those could make it California has not been established. 30's in Florida is not the same as 30's in California.

In a very protected situation, you might be able to nurse along an Areca vestiaria, and they are probably the next most-colorful palm around. You would be considered a very talented grower to succeed with one, but it IS possible.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Great list of palms to look into, especially Dypsis leptocheilos.  Would add Bismarkia and Dypsis psammophila.  

These are great palms to try......

Why does it have to be outdoors?   Just keep it indoors all year like I do here in Nebraska.

Larger one. Sits in tub of water with a submersible fish tank heater that keeps water around 80f. A light tree of 3 LED 60W lights stay on 24/7 and I turn the tub 1/4 turn every Saturday to keep sunlight even. Windows face the east. This palm has a lot of shoots and all grow rather quickly, must faster than I would have thought.

IMG_3317.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

I have read a few stories here here where pure C.Renda survived low 40s (and there are some in Miami and surroundings). Now prolonged cold temperatures that is another issue.

2 smaller ones sit in tub of water as well with same fish tank heater. Larger one above has a sponge type water filter that sits at bottom of tub that helps add O2 to the water and I have a few goldfish in the water as well.

This smaller tub has a air stone in the water to help create 02 in the water as well and to keep it from being standing water.

I use collected rain water from spring into late fall to keep full

I have pic of smaller ones but the crappy photo uploading system for palmtalk keeps saying it has a problem(size is within limit) took my 5/6 tries to get picture of larger one to post.

Now, poster "might" be thinking of the hybrid version of the sealing wax palm that might indeed work in his climate but I've only seen pictures of smaller ones maybe up to 3 ft?   Ebay seller had one in the spring and I think he wanted $300 for it. It was NOT showing any red color at all for that size and seller even said it has to get taller for coloration to start showing. Wasn't worth the risk for $300. Maybe since hybrids aren't predictable maybe it would never have much color.

Variegated Renda has no chance. I do not know of anyone who has tried a decent sized Hybrid in Cali, it could be an expensive gamble.

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Why does it have to be outdoors?   Just keep it indoors all year like I do here in Nebraska.

Larger one. Sits in tub of water with a submersible fish tank heater that keeps water around 80f. A light tree of 3 LED 60W lights stay on 24/7 and I turn the tub 1/4 turn every Saturday to keep sunlight even. Windows face the east. This palm has a lot of shoots and all grow rather quickly, must faster than I would have thought.

IMG_3317.JPG

Very nice......what kind of heat do you have in the house?

Thinking humidity levels.

7 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Very nice......what kind of heat do you have in the house?

Thinking humidity levels.

Scott has a sweet collection Jim.  I have been to his place a couple times.  He has several palms in the ground outside too.  No cycads that I saw though.:rolleyes:

Palm Tree Jim

We have a heat pump for temps down to 20F outside and it works great and doesn't affect humidity level inside the house. Lower than 20 then propane furnace kicks in, but have humidifier on furnace as well as smaller room ones to add humidity.

What I have found with this species in what it needs most is first....sit in water  second....as much sunlight as you can give it. I don't think humidity is as important as believed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammer said:

Scott has a sweet collection Jim.  I have been to his place a couple times.  He has several palms in the ground outside too.  No cycads that I saw though.:rolleyes:

I have a couple Cycads in pots. One large one was given to me. Not really a big fan so don't go out of my way to attain them

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Palm Tree Jim

We have a heat pump for temps down to 20F outside and it works great and doesn't affect humidity level inside the house. Lower than 20 then propane furnace kicks in, but have humidifier on furnace as well as smaller room ones to add humidity.

What I have found with this species in what it needs most is first....sit in water  second....as much sunlight as you can give it. I don't think humidity is as important as believed.

Thanks for the info!

• 4 years later...
On 8/8/2017 at 8:10 AM, Pando said:

If all else fails, you always try a can of red spray paint. :)

Pauleen Sullivan used to paint the leafbases of Chamaedorea hooperiana with red fingernail polish.   :winkie:

On a more serious note, I would like to try a Cyrtostachys in my upstairs bathroom, which is always much warmer than the rest of my house.  It has a 30 square feet glass block panel that faces due south.  Fancy crotons grow like crazy there,  and many houseplants get scorched by excess light levels.

In this location I have grown a Cryosophila warscewiczii from seedling to 4 feet tall, with a 4 inch diameter stem.

A quick internet search offers no obvious mail-order source,... any suggestions ?  I would like a shippable plant perhaps 18 to 24 inches tall.  Thanks !

San Francisco, California