IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please help me with Palm Name and Condition

carolstropicals

I transplanted this palm in the spring to a sunny spot where it now gets at least 5 to 6 hours of sun per day.

One of the leaves is yellowing and the bottom stem or, I believe, it is called the cauldex ? is funny with almost

2 different levels.  Is that bottom level supposed to be underground.  Should I pile dirt around the bottom.

I also don't know the name of this palm and would certainly appreciate help with the ID.  Thanks to all, Carol

palmback1.jpg

palmback2.jpg

palmback3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Technically it's not a palm, but a similar looking plant called a cycad and yes, the stem is called a caudex.  I think it might be the Florida coontie (Zamia floridana) but that is just a guess and I'm not sure if it's planted too shallow.  Where are you located?

Jon

Jon Sunder

Thanks for posting!

Like Fusca said, this is not a palm! It is a cycad from the genus Encephalartos. It's difficult to tell you the exact species, but it could be altensteinii (that's a wild guess!). As far as its condition, you're correct -- the soil line should be just below those last leaf bases (the "second level"). The "second level" is the underground taproot where nutrients/water is stored. If you dug it up not too long ago, you might just do it again and plant it lower. Otherwise, you can pile soil around it, but it could be a big mound in the end.

These plants come from Africa and are generally sun-loving, so it sounds like you found a good spot for it. They are quite slow growing and put out a "flush" of leaves once or twice a year, usually in Spring. The current leaves will look the way they do (just let them be) and hopefully the next flush of leaves will be more attractive.

The plant is quite desirable and uncommon, so you should enjoy it and post an update when it flushes.

On 8/9/2017, 11:49:23, msporty said:
On 8/9/2017, 11:49:23, msporty said:

Sorry it took so long to get back with this posting.  It seemed at first that no one really knew the name of this palm or was answering.  I just checked today and found answers.  I was looking up   Encephalartos genus and found many different names under this genus.  

I would like to know the name if "Anyone knows it".  

It is so hot here in Houston - 99 degrees.  I am afraid to dig it up now to put the cycad lower in the ground where the bottom caudex would be covered.  I moved it in the spring.  Would it be ok to leave it until November or when it is cooler before digging.  This second funny looking bottom caudex is strange.  Why are there 2 and is this normal.  Should I cover it with dirt now for protection.   I bought this on Ebay from, I believe, from palmswholesale.  I had thought it would turn silver since I do remember the picture being silver.  It has been in the hot sun here for several months and is still not silver.  

Thanks for liking my palm - wish I had more.

Carol in Houston