Lepidozamia Peroffskyana in habitat

8 posts in this topic

In the bush at the end of my street only 500m away there is quite a few Lepidozamia peroffskyana growing in habitat.  While they're not the greatest examples of this cycad I thought it was worth posting pics of them on here.

D89i6g8.jpg

AZOuaWo.jpg

5tkmuOG.jpg

yjR6lMW.jpg

2qFH44K.jpg

HRHsqj3.jpg

3WhUdUm.jpg

HgwrEZR.jpg

Lovely. I so love seeing pants in their natural environment.

Most folks have either a cul-de-sac or a vacant lot at the end of their street. I like this much better.

Nice shots Steve.

Very nice!

How many quid on the market for plants like that?

Thanks for posting, I love habitat photos. 

On 8/3/2017, 8:06:32, steve99 said:

quite a few Lepidozamia peroffskyana growing in habitat.  While they're not the greatest examples of this cycad I thought it was worth posting pics of them on here.

It is great to see this cycad in habitat, as they seem to appreciate more filtered light than I expected.  That forest down the street from you looks like it only allows dappled light most of the day.  In my climate they seem to struggle if I don't give them enough sunlight.  I've stunted a couple which were growing well, but had palms adjacent to them which ended up growing much faster and putting them in heavy shade.  I guess your habitat sun is more intense and I'm sure you get much more heat than mine experience.  My best growing one is in full mid-day sun, with some filtered light in the am's and late pm's.

16 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It is great to see this cycad in habitat, as they seem to appreciate more filtered light than I expected.  That forest down the street from you looks like it only allows dappled light most of the day.  In my climate they seem to struggle if I don't give them enough sunlight.  I've stunted a couple which were growing well, but had palms adjacent to them which ended up growing much faster and putting them in heavy shade.  I guess your habitat sun is more intense and I'm sure you get much more heat than mine experience.  My best growing one is in full mid-day sun, with some filtered light in the am's and late pm's.

I've only ever seen them growing in filtered light.  There are quite a lot growing around my area, although in saying that, I cant say I've seen them growing elsewhere on the Gold Coast, Qld

By the way, if one of those cycads pictured looks a bit odd it's because a Birds Nest Fern is growing right next to it.