IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frond Burn

Rothbardian1

Does anyone happen to know at what temperature robusta and queens suffer burn? I read somewhere that burn on both queen palms and robustas occur somewhere around 23 or 24f. 

Thank you

It depends on the plant and the amount of precipitation.  Generally in dry conditions queens will 100% defoliate at 19-21 degrees and robusta will be around 17-19F.  Wet(frost/ice/snow) queens will defoliate at 25Fand robusta will be 20-22F.  If ice stays on the fronds both could completely defoliate at a higher temp. 

Filifera will defoliate at 12-14F dry and 17-19F wet.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I was looking on the USClimateData website at historic temps for my city, and we might have one to three days that reach 22 to 23 degrees in January, with a drop in temperature to about 18 every 10 years. However, I believe they took those measurements well outside of the city in a rural area, according to the log/lat coordinates.  I'm sure my cities microclimate is a little above the recorded data. Or, I'm at least hoping. 

The California Fan Palm can't handle the moisture in my area. I wish I could have found a cross between the two, because I hear the hybrid filibusta does really well in 8b/9a.

Edited by Rothbardian1

23F is pretty spot on for Robusta,mostly as you go below this temp

is when you get significant damage.

Nahuta looks like a very solid 8B with 9A microclimates very likely. Washingtonia will survive and flourish without issue in your area.  Queens in Texas have to be in a 9A (22F to be exact on the map) per the usda interactive map to survive long term.  I am not sure how that equates in GA and FL especially based on pictures of queens, bismarckia and majesties Tallahasse on a separate thread.

Queens do good here. There are some beautiful, old ones. They even do well more inland from where I am located. I can't post a picture of them on my phone, but if you google queen palms Waycross, Ga (25 miles further inland), there's a few nice ones that pop up. But I know they burn occasionally- everyb4 to 5 years) in Waycross. 

Edited by Rothbardian1

• 2 months later...

Waycross GA shows up as 18.0F on the interactive map and judging from those pictures are way milder than any corresponding Texas area (Round Rock, Bryan, Huntsville).

• Upvote 1