IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix sylvestris palm trimming work_July2017

Kris

Dear Friends,

In this thread i wish to show you our Phoenix Sylvestris palm that under went trimming after a gap of nearly 8 months.Because i could not find any able person who could do it.The work is done using non mechanized tool i.e just a cutting knife.Since the palm had lots of dried leaves and drooping leaves around it,we decided to give it a nice hair cut,So that for the next 6 to 7 months we won't need any person to climb this Silver date palm to clean it.In a couple of months we would be heading to our monsoon rainy season which is usually accompanied with cyclones...

I know many here will not like to see over trimmed palms,but this palm is too tall for me or my assistant to climb in a ladder to trim it often. So had to do what was necessary.Photos and video of this work in the following post.Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks and Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Good to hear from you again, our Phavorite Phoenix Phetishist . . . . :)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice haircut!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a portion of the tool that the palm cutter had brought..

one knife,one hip belt and one belt to keep his both foot together and a small can to keep his knife tied around his waist.

20170723_120915.thumb.jpg.4e0b57ed32f6cc

After trimming this is how this palm tree appears :

20170724_151027.thumb.jpg.e05a786fde8f71

20170724_160022.thumb.jpg.a9f90cd80578ff

A clear shot of the P.Sylvestris palm after the cleaning work..

20170724_160041.thumb.jpg.039ef7e62666c9

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

love conquers all..

43278.gif

They look beautiful Kris!  I used to have a few silvestris and was afraid I would have to trim them someday up high just like that.  Only hybrid reclinatas are nastier to trim in my book.  I have been stabbled so may times my phoenix species that I only keep rupicolas at this time.  Rupicolas grow slow and have more flexible thorns so I dont get hurt so easily.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

When u said over trimmed I was expecting to see only see a few leaves remaining on the Palm. It looks amazing. You and your assistant did a better job on that tree with a knife then most workers do here with a bucket lift and power tools. Great work!

• Upvote 2

Very nice work Kris. I don't think it was overtrimmed at all.

God bless those who work on trimming Phoenix palms :lol:. I know I've had my share of thorns pierce my head, arms and hands. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I too vote for a very nice job and not anywhere near your prior talk of it being cut too severely.

I too have a Sylv-palm and its been planted for 2 yrs this May...Drought a freeze damage over the last 2 yrs, but she's coming along now...How tall is that palm?  very nice a healthy looking...good luck from Texas

• Upvote 1

Dear Friends Thanks.

On 7/24/2017, 8:46:37, DoomsDave said:

Good to hear from you again, our Phavorite Phoenix Phetishist . . . . :)

Thanks Dave.And glad you visited this thread.

Dear Tom,

How are you and very happy you liked the trimming work. reclinatas and rupicolas are also planted in our garden but are very small to start a thread on it.Due to near by Dicot trees,there is huge shade area in our garden so its not favoring new plams to grow fast.Inspite of all year around hot weather.

Dear Bryan Lorber,

Yes as you have said that palm trimmer has done a remarkable work without any noise pollution from power tools.The entire work was calm and quite.Thanks for your comments.

Dear Michael,

Since we even trimmed one or two rows of green leaves which is usually not done here.I think in 10 years time we might not find palm trimmers as they are shifting to more lucrative jobs in the cities.So that they can make both ends meet.Since cost of living has raised phenomenally past 12 years due to IT.

Dear Tom Staskus,

Wish you all the best for your phoenix palm,Thanks for visiting this thread.Our palm is about 25 feet tall and has crossed 2 floors of our house.

Lots of love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Beautiful! I couldn't help but cringe thinking of climbing into those dead leaves, though! Careful of snakes and insects! :o:P

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Kris,

the job is well done, they are looking so beautiful!

Thank you very much for sharing!

The Sylvestris looks awesome - and I am really glad that I have two (still very young, planted from seeds) in my yard.

They are tough and fast growers over here and I am really looking forward their grow - your photos are a great inspiration -

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

Very nice indeed.

Thanks also for sharing some of the details of the tools your able workman used. (Chain saws sometimes make me nervous, they cut well, sometimes too well.)

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2017, 6:27:56, Missi said:

Beautiful! I couldn't help but cringe thinking of climbing into those dead leaves, though! Careful of snakes and insects! :o:P

Dear Missi thanks,in our place we don't have much of snakes to worry but termites and other insects do grow rapidly on dirt and dried fronds.So cleaning becomes a necessity.

On 7/30/2017, 5:58:48, Rafael said:

Absolutelly well trimmed! Nice job. Good to hear from you again Kris ^_^

Dear Rafael thanks very much and very happy to hear from you.

On 7/30/2017, 7:39:39, palmfriend said:

Kris,

the job is well done, they are looking so beautiful!

Thank you very much for sharing!

The Sylvestris looks awesome - and I am really glad that I have two (still very young, planted from seeds) in my yard.

They are tough and fast growers over here and I am really looking forward their grow - your photos are a great inspiration -

best regards

Lars

Dear Lars thanks and glad you visited and keyed in your valuable comments.

On 7/31/2017, 2:00:41, edric said:

Thank you my friend, Ed

Dear Ed very happy to have you in this thread my friend.

On 7/31/2017, 7:55:15, DoomsDave said:

Very nice indeed.

Thanks also for sharing some of the details of the tools your able workman used. (Chain saws sometimes make me nervous, they cut well, sometimes too well.)

Dear Dave, i want to say that Power Tools do make me feel nervous too...since nobody know how things could go wrong.And i had to find a able worker to execute this work.And that was the reason why lots of drooping leaves started accumulating in this palm tree.

On 7/31/2017, 10:17:56, Palm Tree Jim said:

A proper haircut.

Well done!

Dear Jim thanks and glad you liked our work.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...

Here's an video update of the recent trimming work on P.Sylvestris palm,Washingtonia Filifera & P.Dactylifera palms. While the Date palm had to be over trimmed as it was leaning towards our house first floor balcony making entry into that balcony very risky as the date fronds had virtually taken over that free space there and its a male date palm tree putting out virtually nothing(Seeds)!

Love,

Kris.

• Like 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

The curve in that Dacty trunk is pretty impressive, was that on purpose?  Around here you see some palms get blown over to a 45 degree angle in a hurricane, and eventually they'll grow back up vertical.

9 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

The curve in that Dacty trunk is pretty impressive, was that on purpose?  Around here you see some palms get blown over to a 45 degree angle in a hurricane, and eventually they'll grow back up vertical.

You are right,we had a cyclone 2 years back...it was then when the trunk mid section got bent.And it gets better exposure to full sunlight at the present location and growing well in this direction.

Love,

Kris.

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very nice Kris, nice plantings that have gotten large.  Do you still have a bizzy? 

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 6/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, sonoranfans said:

Very nice Kris, nice plantings that have gotten large.  Do you still have a bizzy? 

Dear Tom,

Yes it is there on the other side of our house.And even the Bizzy has grown large in size.Since it has no dried fronds to trim,it was not covered in this video.What is peculiar thing that i noticed in Date palms and Bismarkia palm is that they retain old leaves without yellowing or browning...i have not seen them dry out.Since the crown become dense and few fronds droopy we usually have to cut it. I will post the Bizzy stills in an another thread.

BTW, you have very good memory.

Thanks and Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, that was a nice video!

I am looking forward to my own P. Sylvestris which show a remarkable growing speed over here -

such a beautiful palm!

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

If your palm tidy-upper vanishes you will still be stuck down the line, why short change the palm now.  You cant really tidy-up a palm for the future without damaging it. The trunk might constrict at that point and make the palm look all out of kilter and squiff.  It could also develop deficiencies without being able to produce enough food and the leaves shrink horribly.  Rather just have it cleaned when you can nicely and if not in the future it wont really be a problem. 

Thing is all those fresh juicy wounds attract weevils and borers, they smell it and will fly some great distance to get to it. Once they get in the whole head could fall off in a cyclone. This also of course attract these pests to your garden or area where you might not have had them before. They can become a menace on your other palms and your neighbours palms etc etc.

I had this happen to a palm of mine. My gardener was bloody deaf (not literally). I kept telling him not to pull off self-cleaning palm leaves prematurely because when you do you leave little wounds. It's best they fall off on their own. With Phoenix when the leaf is completely dry you can cut but only cut back to dead tissue, dont expose living tissue. The weevils got in this way and the whole head blew off in a typhoon. I lost it and fired him. I had to treat all the f****g palms in the garden with systemics for ages until there was no longer any sign of weevils. 

Not a good idea to go down that road believe me. Kris your visuals horrify me to the core! :D Sometimes we need that in our lives just so we don't forget. Thank-you.

• Like 1

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)