IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Star Palm

bubba

I discovered this palm listed as a Silver Star palm or Cryosophila stauracantha. Is anyone familiar:IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.7a45f0fae1606fd8f2d1a

What you look for is what is looking

I have a very young one (or maybe it's guagara) in my back yard. That's a beautiful palm in your photo.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yes. Great palm from Guatemala. Easy grow for us in many locations and soils. General rule for this rootspine palm is the more shade, the more spines. Full sun creates almost a smooth trunk.

• Upvote 2

Andrew you are correct. In sun and no spines.

What you look for is what is looking

I have these in Key Largo both in FL topsoil and in mostly rock with some organics and they do very well. Regular water and fertilizer and they are problem free. My favorite from the genus are my albida's though, extremely white/silver underside of leaf which when lit at night are spectacular on my patio. I've found the albida to be a bit more fussy and have killed a few but have one now that's established and aborted it's first few seed pods. Maybe soon some seed!

I have a Cryosophila guagara that is in 90% shade and has lots of spines already. One issue I have had with it is mangense deficiency, but keeping it well feed keeps it at bay.

20170716_153512.thumb.jpg.1d4c583b412941

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.