IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana, etc.

Kim

So, we all expect a fuzzy red crownshaft on a Dypsis lastelliana... but who knew about the aqua-green rings when first trunking?  I had no clue...

DSC_0097.thumb.jpg.6211c6642bda19dc3a89c

Love the red leather interior of the discarded crownshaft...

DSC_0095.thumb.jpg.ce7f6ecde4b88571661e3

Unaltered photo of rings on trunk

DSC_0098.thumb.jpg.ddc05803d1154376d8d45

Catch the glow of the Clinostigma in the background

DSC_0103.thumb.jpg.d844621005ff8f3536ba2

Relaxin'

DSC_0110.thumb.jpg.1540a467b0d7f210e5f68

Orange crownshafts beginning to form...

DSC_0114.thumb.jpg.a946d7c9368f92a3ecdd9

Just another garden view

DSC_0118.thumb.jpg.05c2a4915977985af3d4c

More palms

DSC_0119.thumb.jpg.13a2951413ccf02188f54

• Upvote 11

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Just beautiful. My lastelliana is really slow . It's almost 8 yrs planted and no trunk yet.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Incredible. Thanks, KIm.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Woo hoo.....! I get to see the garden in person this weekend. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Kim very beautiful, sorry w missed u while we were out there hope to get to see ur place when we make it out there again if invitation is still open would love to see ur garden and meet u in person Thanks Again 

• Upvote 1

Wow, that Lastelliana is like the interior of a Chrysler Cordoba . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Scott -- these were planted from 3-gal pots in 2011.  They have been slow, but seem to be picking up speed. The crowns have changed shape from fronds weirdly twisting toward the ground to the characteristic upright, very regular fronds. Best of luck with yours.

Thanks Jesse -- I would love to add more color and texture with ornamentals, but as an absentee gardener, it's not so easy.  Smaller plants get overrun by the weeds. But at least some of the weeds are pretty. :lol:

Thanks,Jim and Meg.

Hey Tim, I hauled off that dead frond in preparation for your visit. :P

Thank you Sergio, and yes, it's a standing invitation.  Visitors are welcome. B) P.S. Sorry to have missed the tour of your awesome garden -- years of incredible growth! Impressive, and nice work by Pando.

Dave -- I think red is your color! :D

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim, I was going to mention that dead frond, but was afraid that would have influenced the dinner menu.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, realarch said:

Thanks Kim, I was going to mention that dead frond, but was afraid that would have influenced the dinner menu.

Tim

give

us

a

full report

:drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Awesome Kim.  Looks very impressive Can't wait for mine to start trunking. I may be waiting a few more years though.