IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea Glauca

5150cycad

Is anyone else growing this Palm? I finally got to see a large one at a local nursery. Here is a picture of mine that I planted as a small 5 gallon 3-4 years ago. It is slowly adapting to more and more sun as it is starting to creep over the fence. Please post pictures. Thanks 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I have a couple of  young glaucas as well. Great looking palms - and surprisingly very tolerant of abuse compared to rivularis. From my understanding, yours (and mine) are the type from Isalo. There is a different variety from Andringitra that looks like a completely different palm. I've got seeds of the Andringitra form that I'm trying to sprout. 

Ravenea glauca from Andringitra

15 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I have a couple of  young glaucas as well. Great looking palms - and surprisingly very tolerant of abuse compared to rivularis. From my understanding, yours (and mine) are the type from Isalo. There is a different variety from Andringitra that looks like a completely different palm. I've got seeds of the Andringitra form that I'm trying to sprout. 

Ravenea glauca from Andringitra

Most definitly the one from Isalo. Thank you for the information and attaching the forum about the Ravenea Glauca from Andringitra. What an amazing Palm. Did u get the seed from from RPS? Definitly a Palm I would like to add to my garden in the future. 

I have a few in the ground.

To date, no issues with them. Also, glad to hear they are thriving at your house!

I love this species. It takes a while to trunk, maybe 6-8 years, but then it really takes off. This one has about 5 feet of trunk now.

IMG_20170719_200558721.thumb.jpg.b125533

• Upvote 11

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Mines a baby still. I have mine in the hottest, driest part of the yard, next to a driveway, with southern exposure. I don't mean to neglect it, but it takes neglect like a champ. 

20170719_203527.thumb.jpg.b43aa41b2a2bd3

And yes, I got the seed for the andringitra form from RPS. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My R glauca Andringitra's are coming up now. Excited to see what they grow like. No pics but the Isalo version grows fine for me, but is still best in a bit of protection for me. High winds, cold temps etc tend to rip it up a bit. In Isalo they grow in a very wind protected gully. Beautiful foliage palm for sure.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

15 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I love this species. It takes a while to trunk, maybe 6-8 years, but then it really takes off. This one has about 5 feet of trunk now.

IMG_20170719_200558721.thumb.jpg.b125533

Great looking Palm Brett. Thanks for the picture. Can't wait till mine starts trunking.  

16 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

I have a few in the ground.

To date, no issues with them. Also, glad to hear they are thriving at your house!

Thanks Jim. Where were yours planted? You had so many amazing palms to look at that I lost track of everything I saw there. You will have to point them out to me again next time. 

14 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Mines a baby still. I have mine in the hottest, driest part of the yard, next to a driveway, with southern exposure. I don't mean to neglect it, but it takes neglect like a champ. 

20170719_203527.thumb.jpg.b43aa41b2a2bd3

And yes, I got the seed for the andringitra form from RPS. 

jDiaz, yours looks pretty good for being neglected. They do seem to take a lot of neglect. I really want to get one of the andringitra forms now. If u have extra and want to part with one let me know. Happy to buy one or trade one if u are willing or have extra. 

I have two of the Isalo form that were planted at the same time, same size. The one that gets full blazing sun is a runt and is no bigger than when I planted it years ago. It still thows out new leaves just like my larger one however it just won't get bigger, or it can't. I think this is because of the quality of the soil. On the runt side, the soil down past 2 feet is pure rock. It is probably runted because the roots have nowhere to go. The soil on the other side has the same dg dirt, but it is more forgiving after you get past that first 2 feet. I will post pictures of the runt tonight.

• Upvote 1

I've got a spot reserved in my garden for this palm but no one sells them in Central Florida. :(

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

17 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

Thanks Jim. Where were yours planted? You had so many amazing palms to look at that I lost track of everything I saw there. You will have to point them out to me again next time. 

jDiaz, yours looks pretty good for being neglected. They do seem to take a lot of neglect. I really want to get one of the andringitra forms now. If u have extra and want to part with one let me know. Happy to buy one or trade one if u are willing or have extra. 

I have two of the Isalo form that were planted at the same time, same size. The one that gets full blazing sun is a runt and is no bigger than when I planted it years ago. It still thows out new leaves just like my larger one however it just won't get bigger, or it can't. I think this is because of the quality of the soil. On the runt side, the soil down past 2 feet is pure rock. It is probably runted because the roots have nowhere to go. The soil on the other side has the same dg dirt, but it is more forgiving after you get past that first 2 feet. I will post pictures of the runt tonight.

If I have extras I'd be willing to arrange a trade. I'm keeping an eye out for sprouts! 

1 hour ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

If I have extras I'd be willing to arrange a trade. I'm keeping an eye out for sprouts! 

Great pm me if you do. Thank you 

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

My R glauca Andringitra's are coming up now. Excited to see what they grow like. No pics but the Isalo version grows fine for me, but is still best in a bit of protection for me. High winds, cold temps etc tend to rip it up a bit. In Isalo they grow in a very wind protected gully. Beautiful foliage palm for sure.

Where did you get them Tyrone?!

1 hour ago, 5150cycad said:

Facing my house, one is to the left by the larger cycads and the other 2 are by the gigas.

I lost one about 6 years ago, planted it too close to a very aggressive tuberous plant (similar to heliconia, but I don't recall the species).  When I needed to dig out the aggressive tuberous plant, I must have damaged the roots, but until that time it was a vigorous grower for me.  I added a couple of small ones in the last couple of years in different parts of the garden, and they seem to be consistent growers year round although not speedy before gaining any trunk.  At least for now, they are both pretty much full sun, although that will change over time as other palms continue to grow as well.  Obviously from my photo, you will identify as the one readily available for several years from Isalo.

20170627-104A6803.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, richnorm said:

Where did you get them Tyrone?!

RPS

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 5 years later...

Old thread dig. My tiny R glauca is just starting to push growth again after its second relocation. Too embarrassing to post a photo of mine in it's sorry state, but I'd love to see updated photos if anyone wants to share theirs. 

I'm sure at least a few others in the SF bay area are growing this one too, though I haven't seen any. I'm hoping to add some Aloe isaloensis nearby for company if it proves to be a healthy palm in my garden.

Chris

San Francisco, CA