IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is Dypsis 'Baby Red Stems'?

Missi

I'm wondering that myself. Internet not much use on this one.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Ask Jeff M?

I'm guessing your referring to his new price list?

• Upvote 1

Mardy Darian grew a palm he called Dypsis 'Baby red stem'.  You can see it in this thread: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/14778-garden-of-dr-mardi-darian/

Edit:  In a later thread about his garden, the palm is said to be Dypsis ambositre.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Interesting. Although the plant labeled "baby red stem" in the thread does look like amositrae, Jeff & Suchin have such a keen eye for these palms (even in the seedling stage) that if it was the version of ambo that they were accustomed to, they'd probably recognize it. I guess we'll know in a couple of years.. 

• Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Yeah, can't wait to see what this turns into. Tiny little thing at this point. It was a triple and one damped off.

IMG_20170719_202928772.thumb.jpg.f283afd

• Upvote 4

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

These palms came from an unknown Dypsis in Jeff's yard that came originally from Toby as some funky local name. Jeff texted some pictures of the palm to me and we discussed the similarity between his palm and what I saw at Mardy Darian's as a palm called "Baby Red Stem". The plants Jeff and Mardy grew have a close affinity towards what some are growing as D. ambositrae. But they are different enough to use another name. Jeff felt the palm he has was indeed close to Mardy's that he decided to name his offering as "Baby Red Stem" to honor Mardy. Jeff's good like that.  

The first two pics are of Jeff's tree where the seed comes from. Beautiful plant. So snatch up his offering. The second two photos are of my palm so show what it looks like in dry Cali. 

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

RenderedContent-732F5A5F-DF48-4A8C-9FEB-2A556815A2AC.JPG

RenderedContent-8EBFED7D-759D-462F-8A26-24EABF31B75A.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

15 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Ask Jeff M?

I'm guessing your referring to his new price list?

Or Len.......

10 hours ago, LJG said:

These palms came from an unknown Dypsis in Jeff's yard that came originally from Toby as some funky local name. Jeff texted some pictures of the palm to me and we discussed the similarity between his palm and what I saw at Mardy Darian's as a palm called "Baby Red Stem". The plants Jeff and Mardy grew have a close affinity towards what some are growing as D. ambositrae. But they are different enough to use another name. Jeff felt the palm he has was indeed close to Mardy's that he decided to name his offering as "Baby Red Stem" to honor Mardy. Jeff's good like that.  

The first two pics are of Jeff's tree where the seed comes from. Beautiful plant. So snatch up his offering. The second two photos are of my palm so show what it looks like in dry Cali. 

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

RenderedContent-732F5A5F-DF48-4A8C-9FEB-2A556815A2AC.JPG

RenderedContent-8EBFED7D-759D-462F-8A26-24EABF31B75A.JPG

You are AWESOME! Thank you for sharing these photos! I was wondering if it would stay a relatively small plant since it has 'baby' in its name, but I see it will get larger than I prefer, so I will omit it from my order. I needed to downsize my order anyhow! :rolleyes: Thanks again!!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

If this palm is a variety of D. ambositre, then it may grow better in CA than sweltering FL as my research on D.a. indicates it is a no-grow for me. Can anyone confirm this?  I've learned the hard way I can't work miracles on climatically unsuitable palm species (can you say "Dictyocaryum" ?).

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 year later...

ive had mine for a season and its done well. more time is needed to know. 

20181109_072200.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

32 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Here's my Baby Red Stem. 

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.ab1aa483f8485d2de786c

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.fe38f45e38b5fed93ad81

Thanks, Jason.  How's the growth rate compared to 'lafazamanga'?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

wow!!!!!!

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

My juvenile Dypsis arenarums looked just like that.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

On 11/13/2018, 7:38:41, joe_OC said:

Thanks, Jason.  How's the growth rate compared to 'lafazamanga'?

Hey Joe, so far for me, Lafazamanga seems a bit faster.  But it's still very early to tell.  I got my Lafazamanga in a 4" pot whereas I got this "baby red stem" in a 2 or 3 gallon pot.  Both are just getting going still so time will tell.  

18 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

My juvenile Dypsis arenarums looked just like that.

You know, I thought the exact same thing as I also have a juvenile Arenarum that looks very similar.  I got the Arenarum from Tim Brian (Thanks Tim!) and got the Baby Red Stem from Bill Austin, who got it from Floribunda.  Tim will tell if they end up being the same palm or something different.  Seems like the Baby Red Stem usually only splits once into two plants.  Is that what you've seen with them?  Compared to Arenarum which splits quite a bit more.  

50 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

You know, I thought the exact same thing as I also have a juvenile Arenarum that looks very similar.  I got the Arenarum from Tim Brian (Thanks Tim!) and got the Baby Red Stem from Bill Austin, who got it from Floribunda.  Tim will tell if they end up being the same palm or something different.  Seems like the Baby Red Stem usually only splits once into two plants.  Is that what you've seen with them?  Compared to Arenarum which splits quite a bit more.  

The lack of black flakes (tomentum?) tells me they are different.  Baby red stems' leaf base are really clean looking from the pics. 

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 year later...

I can always count on PalmTalk's search engine to help when I need Palm information. Thanks to all who posted here! I do have a follow up question concerning sun and moisture preference as I would like to plant mine, possibly as soon as today.

Thanks!

Also more photos of yours, any size, would be great!

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Mine was like your when I got it but a year later in a full sun spot it has split 2 times and now growing really fast.  All the ones I have seen have split once 

20200322_064359.jpg

20200322_064416.jpg

20200322_064421.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the information and beautiful photos John!

Anybody growing these in shade or should I postpone planting mine until I can acclimate it from partial to full sun and also clear a full sun area that is moist enough to plant now?

The spot I had tentatively picked (still in a pot though) is under a fair amount of shade  created by some juvenile tree ferns.

I have so many tree ferns that I am getting used to cutting the fronds as needed to let in more light and then uprooting or cutting them them and tossing them down the hill when my palms need more space/ light.

They are a huge help initially though to stabilize the dirt and help keep me from slipping!

Cindy Adair

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2017 at 10:54 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

If this palm is a variety of D. ambositre, then it may grow better in CA than sweltering FL as my research on D.a. indicates it is a no-grow for me. Can anyone confirm this?  I've learned the hard way I can't work miracles on climatically unsuitable palm species (can you say "Dictyocaryum" ?).

Old thread but I have 3 from Jeff that are on my second year here, 2 planted out this spring, the 3rd going in the ground today. In pots they have been very easy. So far the 2 in the ground look fine.

• Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, redant said:

Old thread but I have 3 from Jeff that are on my second year here, 2 planted out this spring, the 3rd going in the ground today. In pots they have been very easy. So far the 2 in the ground look fine.

Pictures please!! :drool::greenthumb:

-dale

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 7:05 AM, Hilo Jason said:

Here's my Baby Red Stem. 

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.ab1aa483f8485d2de786c

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.fe38f45e38b5fed93ad81

Here are updated photos of mine. Sorry for the bad lighting, not a food time of day. This is now flowering. 

1577AEFC-A83C-4894-B95D-3574F0782403.thumb.jpeg.b8600e29084e3794f470848d675acfd0.jpeg

6929CDDE-9E6D-493D-9533-0303B988EB0B.thumb.jpeg.c9849aa07558ad3b105b613d63fe06a4.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Here are updated photos of mine. Sorry for the bad lighting, not a food time of day. This is now flowering. 

1577AEFC-A83C-4894-B95D-3574F0782403.thumb.jpeg.b8600e29084e3794f470848d675acfd0.jpeg

6929CDDE-9E6D-493D-9533-0303B988EB0B.thumb.jpeg.c9849aa07558ad3b105b613d63fe06a4.jpeg

The growth rate is astounding as usual. Lookin good. Jealous….party of one. :floor:

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2017 at 10:54 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

I ordered a Baby Red Stem from Hawaii in 2020. It’s a rare palm and was said to split stem after 2 yrs old. Mine is now 4 yrs old and indeed a rare beauty! It’s a slow grower but worth to try! 
It actually split in 3 stems what I have never heard from. 5 Ft tall at this moment I take her inside when it’s stormy and does well inside for 2 weeks or so. 
I was told that this palm still hasn’t been named, that’s why it is called Baby Red Stem Palm due to the dark red stems on new fronds. 
its one of my favorites apart from my Johannesteijsmannia’s and Sabinaria Magnifica, they  never gave me any problems here in S Florida. Attaching pics

who grows them? Please send pics! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, John hovancsek said:

Mine was like your when I got it but a year later in a full sun spot it has split 2 times and now growing really fast.  All the ones I have seen have split once 

20200322_064359.jpg

20200322_064416.jpg

20200322_064421.jpg

Mine split 3 times. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

This is such an attractive palm. Fast growing for me and quite colorful . I had to grab the umbrella to give an update 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

This is such an attractive palm. Fast growing for me and quite colorful . I had to grab the umbrella to give an update 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What a beauty!!! I hope I can see mine getting that far but since potted I really doubt it. I have not a house yet where to plant it 😞

• Like 1