IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cassia fistula seed set in SW vs SE Florida

fastfeat

Can anyone confirm the speculation by some in metro Dade to PBCo that pollinators (bees? butterflies?) for Cassia fistula were swept out to sea or the SW Gulf Coast following Wilma or Katrina? I know that pods were downright non-existent on at least 20 blooming-aged  trees I saw in NM/NMB recently.

Anyone have info on its set set here in Sarasota and Charlotte Cos? And anyone know of a substantial seed-setting tree (pref on public or large commercial parcel) where seed pods could be gathered?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

There is a nice specimen in Palm Beach at the parking lot for Whitehall that I have collected seed off of a couple years ago. I have seen trees around Jupiter with pods.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Not far from you in Naples we have many mature seed setting C. fistula. One well-known specimen is in the Taco Bell parking lot on Pine Ridge Rd. and Airport-Pulling. There are also several mature trees in Cambier Park downtown. I was by there several weeks ago for pictures of the blooms. I will check this week on how the seeds are coming along and get back to you.

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I haven't been by there in ages, but there used to be a tree (and I imagine there still is) in front of the Gulfgate Library here in Sarasota.  It used to have lots of pods and years ago I germinated a couple.  They died while I was on vacation.  Never went back.  If you're close, it's worth checking out.  The mother tree is the most beautiful Cassia Fistula I've ever seen!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the info and locations.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Hmmmmm...long row of C. fistula at Cambier Park here in Naples. All trees were full of blooms a few weeks ago, yet no developing seedpods. :wacko: And a freshly fallen Spathodea flower for fun :wub:

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

• Upvote 1

I also see a few around Orlando and out at Disney and they have had pods up here.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

22 hours ago, Missi said:

Hmmmmm...long row of C. fistula at Cambier Park here in Naples. All trees were full of blooms a few weeks ago, yet no developing seedpods. :wacko: And a freshly fallen Spathodea flower for fun :wub:

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

I failed to note that these pics were taken yesterday, not a few weeks ago when the trees were full of blooms. These pics were taken yesterday to document that no seed pod development appears to be taking place.

And oops, I somehow deleted the pic of the Spathodea bloom from both posts. I think it's time for an afternoon coffee.

Ken,

If you are in Jupiter check along A1A just south of Center St. (west of Old Dixie Hwy) on the east side of the railroad. Its across the street from Dune Dog which is a great place to eat if you are there. This is the inland/more western A1A and is also hwy 811 as there is a more eastern/beachside beachide A1A.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

Not being pollinated at the Taco Bell either :crying:

IMG_8766.JPG

We stayed out at the Contemperorary Hotel at Disney this past weekend. There are several dozen Cassia fistula planted around. Some were still flowering and most had seed pods. 

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks Eric, Will check out if can't find any between Naples and Sarasota. So far, haven't encountered any trees in Venice.

_____

I went by the Sarasota Gulfgate Library armed with my camera.  I was really sad to see that during their new renovation they re-did the landscaping.  The gorgeous, mature Cassia Fistula has been replaced by a small crepe myrtle.  Somebody probably didn't like the pods and maybe resulting seedlings.  So sad.  Such an incredible specimen.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blooming Cassia Fistula is hard to find now but I have kept my eyes open after this thread. I encountered a tree that still had a few blooms and tried to take some shots of the pods and the wasps that were buzzing around. I do not know if these shots captured them.

What you look for is what is looking

On 8/3/2017, 9:11:38, Missi said:

Not being pollinated at the Taco Bell either :crying:

IMG_8766.JPG

I love that taco bell. Thoes trees are so beautiful when they are in full bloom

• Upvote 1

It was about 103F with 70% relative humidity after playing golf when I saw that tree that I mistook for a Cassia fistula. Just flat wrong as those pictures are clearly a yellow poinciana. The wasps I thought I saw were likely people in the house shooting B-B guns at me. Oh well, to the back of the bus!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

On 8/7/2017, 4:28:03, annafl said:

I went by the Sarasota Gulfgate Library armed with my camera.  I was really sad to see that during their new renovation they re-did the landscaping.  The gorgeous, mature Cassia Fistula has been replaced by a small crepe myrtle.  Somebody probably didn't like the pods and maybe resulting seedlings.  So sad.  Such an incredible specimen.

:(

_____

7 hours ago, bubba said:

It was about 103F with 70% relative humidity after playing golf when I saw that tree that I mistook for a Cassia fistula. Just flat wrong as those pictures are clearly a yellow poinciana. The wasps I thought I saw were likely people in the house shooting B-B guns at me. Oh well, to the back of the bus!

Thanks for risking life and limb, Bubba.... 

_____