IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Soil for trachycarpus

palm789

i usually plant them in my pure garden clay but i heared that in pots its completely different,so what is the most best absolute best soil to plant a T Fortunei in.

3 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

If the palms are already adult you may use your garden clay (= ?) as well.

one 30cm and one 40cm trunks,excuse the garden its a work in progress

IMG_20170718_193713.jpg

IMG_20170718_193728.jpg

22 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

If your garden clay is something like a sandy loam or so it is ok; don’t worry the Trachies are very tough. What they don’t like is drought.

im new to this kind of stuff but can you describe to me what sandy loam is

no sand in my soil just clay and stones but i can buy sand also coarse grit but what type of sand is needed.

Trachycarpus love clay. I have 5 in the ground in soil consisting of mostly clay and some sand for more than 15 years (lost count). Three Fortunei and two wagnerianus. In pots I have many, in a mix of clay, hydro clay pebbles, pine bark and compost. Love these palms (excuse the mess but the ponds being redone).

DSC_9755.thumb.JPG.08dc549ebcf297b4f6608DSC_9766.thumb.JPG.a2e7a6aa0da971eade3f3

what is the mix ratio for just sand and clay for ground planting trachys and trachys in pots?

Sorry, it seems I expressed myself poorly. Clay and sand is the natural soil in the garden. I estimate it's at least 65% clay. Extremely slow draining, but the trachys seem to love it. Only be sure when planting in the garden the soil does drain at some point. I dig a couple of deep (50 cm to 1 meter) holes with a post hole digger at the bottom of the hole where the palm will go and fill these with clay balls, just to be sure they're not standing in water.