IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What type of camera do you use?

Palm crazy

My old sony 5 mega pixel has stop working so I thought I ask what others are using for cameras and any advise on what new camera I should get next year. 

I have my heart set on Nikon d5600 but don’t really know that much about it or any other cameras out there, anyone have this one or something else they like? 

• Upvote 1

In the last year, I hardly ever pull out the Nikon, with the Camera+ app my iPhone 6s does a great job.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

IPhones are amazing I’ve heard the camera on them are only going to get better, but I want a more professional camera with all the bells and whistle.  

6 hours ago, edric said:

Hi Roger, this Cannon is the best camera I have ever used, Ed  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3ER1OW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for posting, I have heard from one person that Cannon is really good for more colorful photos but I don’t know that much about them. I’ll have to do some research on them to make up my mind…. thanks for responding Edric. What ever I get I want one of those camera kits that has everything included. 

Edited by Palm crazy

iphone 6 for everything

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

My trusty Nikon D40 is aging out and I've been researching upgrades. The ease of using an iPhone camera is undeniable; it has its positives but also limitations.

The Nikon D750 caught my attention because I've been drooling over the fantastic detail of the full-frame sensor cameras, but it's quite heavy and bulky, something that can deter me from actually USING it. Since the best camera is the one you are most likely to have with you and use, I'm looking at the lighter and more compact Nikon D5600, even though it is a crop sensor.  There is a newer thing, a mirrorless camera, which also reduces weight and bulk. They are fast, if that's what you need, but I'm not convinced it would work for me.

Canon has excellent products that are comparable to Nikon.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

IPhones take outstanding pictures (and I have one, and I use it occasionally for photography), but to suggest an iPhone to someone who is really interested in photography is a bit like suggesting to a palm enthusiast that he or she should be content growing Washingtonias instead of Tahinas and unusual Dypsis. In other words - there's just no comparison. For two years now I have used a Nikon D5500 with the Nikon 18-300 mm lens - an outstanding combination. Of course, the D5600 has now replaced the D5500. Like Kim I am also intrigued by a full frame camera like the D750, and may decide to "upgrade" at some point. :) I know that Canon also has excellent cameras, but having used Nikons all my life (going back to Nikon F with a motordrive some 50 years ago) I am not in a position to make comparisons.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

My preference has always been Canon. I have a Canon EOS Rebel SLR and my daughter has a very nice Canon EOS Mark IV which is a professional camera.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Seem like the Canon camera are more expensive compared to the Nikon equivalent?… for my budget nikon 56000 seems the best for me and I like getting the camera bundle. D7200 is just out of my price range.

My first camera I ever got for school back in the day was a used Olympus 2 very nice camera. Seems like the body of this camera haven’t changed much… LOL.  http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m5-mark-ii.html

Edited by Palm crazy

Old Sony HX 24MP pocket zoom, 2013 vintage, got it used on Amazon for less than $200. Pictures coming out of that seem ok.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 2

I've been using a Lumix DMC-Z550 from Costco, for me it's a great little camera. Small, compact, Leica lens, lots of settings including manual, and small enough to slip into my pocket. I've had standard 35mm reflex cameras and they are way too bulky and cumbersome for my liking. The video feature is also excellent. 

My needs are pretty simple and photographic skills average, so anything toward the high end would, more than likely, be overkill. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 hours ago, Pando said:

Old Sony HX 24MP pocket zoom, 2013 vintage, got it used on Amazon for less than $200. Pictures coming out of that seem ok.

In this case, it's the skill of the photographer knowing his camera well.

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

My phone has a camera but I have never discovered the secret of getting the photos out of the phone and onto the computer, so until I get an actual camera type camera my posts will remain a photo free zone:indifferent:

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

My "old" Nikkon D60 works perfectly. Oftentimes new technology isn't always the best. It is, as Kim says, how skilled the user is. I'd much rather be totally familiar with a device and take decent photos than have to constantly strain my brain trying to familiarize myself with something new.

Mine is a very old Nikon Coolpix S8200 as recommended on PT prior to the Thailand Biennial in 2010. I saw his low light videos and telephoto/macro examples and ordered one online for about $200 I think. Not the newest Coolpix model even then! But small and has now survived multiple Biennials. No comparison between it and my iPhone 5s photos but I know the newer cell phones are supposed to be better.

I keep an orange flagging tape on its case to make it less likely to be lost in my jungle and plenty of identification if I left it in civilization.

I only wish it were waterproof, but it honestly goes in its hopefully protective case (and under my shirt) if it unexpectedly rains far from shelter!

Cindy Adair

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a refurbished Nikon 7200 from Adorama for $770 and a 18-300mm lens early last year and love it. I also use my Samsung 7 which takes great pics, fantastic panoramas and can shoot raw images........it's water proof as well which gets tested quite regularly!