IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia hillebrandii?

Matt in OC

No label when I purchased it. It was planted as a modest 5 gal. in February 2015. Thanks!

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9840.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That's a beauty. I'm no Pritchardia expert but that looks special. Where's Don Hodel? He will know.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, Palmaceae said:

Maybe Pritchardia martii?

Thanks. I was thinking that but thought martii would have more gold on the bottom of the leaf. 

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Any guesses?

Glabrata? Insane growth rate on mine as well 

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Could well be hillibrandii; not martii I think. A really nicely grown one regardless.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 2 years later...

I got a pritchardia, 4-5 years ago, as a 15 gallon. It’s grown well, and was sold as hillebrandii which I have no reason to doubt.  I noticed variegation on a few of the petioles, and I was wondering if that was normal.   Any thoughts?

Can't really give an ID, but can offer a couple of suggestions. P. hillebrandii has undulating leaves, unlike the ones shown and broader leaflets, giving it a "rougher" appearance. P. martii has a distinct brownish white tomentum under the leaves, but you need the right light to see it clearly. Both beccariana and napaliensis tend to have flattish or cupped leaves without the abaxial tomentum, but I'm not ready to make that call. P. glabrata has pendulous leaf tips. Hope this helps a little.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

8 minutes ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Can't really give an ID, but can offer a couple of suggestions. P. hillebrandii has undulating leaves, unlike the ones shown and broader leaflets, giving it a "rougher" appearance. P. martii has a distinct brownish white tomentum under the leaves, but you need the right light to see it clearly. Both beccariana and napaliensis tend to have flattish or cupped leaves without the abaxial tomentum, but I'm not ready to make that call. P. glabrata has pendulous leaf tips. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, Mike.  Yeah, who knows; the last few leaves have been wide and flat.  Any thoughts on the variegation?

Not armed. Nice. Whatever it may be, it's beautiful. And I'm no, pardon the pun, fan of fan palms.  Exceptions are Copernicias and Bismarkias

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Boy, they’d really blown up Steve. Agree with Mike that seems like like leaf blade is usually more undulating on hillibrandii. Regarding the color on the petioles, I’ve got a couple that have that yellow mid rib that runs right through the leaf. One is lanaiensis, although that ID is a toss up as well. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I checked several species of loulus that I have growing here for what I thought I remembered, specifically a line of color on the lowest part of the underside of the petiole. There is a stripe. Color ranges from yellow to light green. On some, tomentum on the petiole obscures the stripe on the upper part of the underside of the petiole. Is this the "variegation" you were describing?

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

13 minutes ago, mike in kurtistown said:

I checked several species of loulus that I have growing here for what I thought I remembered, specifically a line of color on the lowest part of the underside of the petiole. There is a stripe. Color ranges from yellow to light green. On some, tomentum on the petiole obscures the stripe on the upper part of the underside of the petiole. Is this the "variegation" you were describing?

Yeah.  It’s odd, because there are yellow, and lime green stripes - some obscured by tomentum, as you describe.  Some of the petioles have multiple tracks of striping, which all have distinct edges.