Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flowering Butia Matogrossensis

8 posts in this topic

I purchased these seeds as Syagrus cerqueirana, but......well, I'm pretty sure they're Butia matogrossensis. Pretty quick to get to seed. This is like four or five years old.

IMG_20170716_180031199-600x800.jpg

IMG_20170716_175911894-768x1024.jpg

Wow

It's a very nice dwarf butia. Congrats

There are actually three plants in the frame. It's just this front one that is dominant. 

Very nice! The trunk looks more like butia than Syagrus I think. Interesting to see what the seeds look like. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Wow Buffy, that was a fast grower. A beauty1. I have a S. cerqueirana and this is a very green sycckering palm.

Opening up.

butiamatagrossensis.jpg

Buffy, what a pretty palm. I love the mint green color.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Albizia coreana (or kalkora?)
      By jb1336
      I recently last year received seeds of Albizia coreana (or kalkora) from a university in North Carolina. The Albizia species is reportedly "rare" but I think they're just rare in cultivation, but I could be wrong.  Here are photos on the internet of the prince ear tree (왕자 귀 트리) which aren't my photos but show a good representation of the species.

• Dwarf butia
      By Laaz
      I have been finding quite a few dwarf butias around town lately. This one has a very short trunk & the top leaves are 5 ft from the ground. It has flowered multiple times.

• I Need A Good Heating Cable
      By PalmTreeDude
      What is a good heating cable for palms? Are they just soil heating cables? I am trying to find them on Amazon. 
    • Chamaerops humilis Vulcano is a Beauty
      By PalmatierMeg
      I received requests for more photos of a Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano' I mentioned in another Topic so this morning I took the following photos. When I was on the European Palm Forum about 6-7 years ago I lamented that the Vulcano form of Chamaerops humilis was unavailable in the US (it still isn't commercially). An Italian member who went by the name of M@x graciously offered to send me seeds of that rare variety and he was most generous. I learned that Vulcano seeds come 40% true along a spectrum (similar to Areca catechu dwarfs). I germinated the seeds and waited for them to go palmate then selected a half dozen that showed the strongest Vulcano traits. I planted them on my Garden Lot, mostly in the back/south side. But this little palm was the most perfect of them all so I set up a 4'x8' box down near the street, planted it in the center with two Gaussia gomez-pompae at each end and small agaves scattered in between. This fall I yanked out the agaves and their invasive offspring, weeded, trimmed and mulched this little palm. It is about 1m tall and 1m wide - almost perfect symmetry. It was out in the open to all of Hurricane Irma's fury and suffered not even a broken frond. It's one tough cookie. Enjoy.
      Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano'

• Just ordered my Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera!!!
      By mdsonofthesouth
      So on a whim I checked out my wishlist at plant delights nursery and saw that the Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera were being sold again! I have been looking to get these to match my standard chamerops humilis for a while now. So I promptly ordered 2 (might order more lol) to start with and will be garage "greenhouse" keeping them until at least March 2018. Depending on size and health come spring will determine if I plant or just pot up again and "greenhouse" them for another winter. Eitherway great way to spend your lunch break!