IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weird Kentia cancer spreading.

mwardlow

Has anyone seen this on their palms? It started as a small spot and keeps on growing. Its like a slow spreading cancer blister. I have it on another as a small spot. Any ideas on how to stop it from spreading?

DSCN2275.JPG

DSCN2271.JPG

DSCN2273.JPG

DSCN2274.JPG

MLW

Have also been surprised when a window or the like places a reflection in a spot that gets very hot.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Its not sun burn. It is spreading up down and around the trunk. You can see the blisters forming even on the shady side. Thinking of just taking it out but I have another I want to cure if possible. That one only has a small spot so far on the shady side. I will take a picture and post that one too.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

MLW

I was told it might be the fungus introduced by the Polyphagous shot hole borer beetle. A new pest to socal. I will post an update as soon as I find out.

• Upvote 3

MLW

Thanks for sharing the article.

Another beetle to worry about in SoCa.

Look at the holes in the top of the picture. Looking more and more like shot hole beetle. Now I have to check all my trees. Kentias are listed as a host for reproduction for this beetle.

DSCN2276.JPG

• Upvote 1

MLW

Good eye on that. Yeah, that's not like any disease damage I've ever seen. Reading that article is pretty discouraging. I've sent countless hours since I was a toddler underneath the Coastal Sycamore canopy in our coastal canyons. Losing them would be just catastrophic for all the critters that rely on them for protection. Regarding your Howea, I know it's a tough call, but if it was in my yard I'd chain saw it & make sure that nothing makes it out alive.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I was told to wait until Don Hodel takes a look at it or gives the go ahead for removal. I might have to send in a sample to the UC Ag dept for a pathology exam. This is the other Kentia I found with the infection.  20170719_092127.thumb.jpg.0a23f323183d50

Edited by mwardlow
More information

MLW

Can you douse the base in a systemic in the meantime?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

On Wed Jul 19 2017 10:10:21 GMT-0700, quaman58 said:

Good eye on that. Yeah, that's not like any disease damage I've ever seen. Reading that article is pretty discouraging. I've sent countless hours since I was a toddler underneath the Coastal Sycamore canopy in our coastal canyons. Losing them would be just catastrophic for all the critters that rely on them for protection. Regarding your Howea, I know it's a tough call, but if it was in my yard I'd chain saw it & make sure that nothing makes it out alive.

^ Couldn't agree more.

Spent a lot of my high school years surrounded by, or exploring  riparian areas  in my neighborhood around the Almaden Valley or other parts of San Jose alongside Sycomore, Blue and Valley Oak, and native Alder sp. I can't imagine returning to these special spots and seeing them devoid of these native icons.  The sight of patches of Oak and CA. Laurel browning out when damage associated with Sudden Oak Death started showing up on the east facing side of the Santa Cruz Mountains I'd viewed since birth was a bit sobering.

While back in CA a few years back, I started noting increasing damage to stressed Liquidamber trees that have lined the street i called my neighborhood throughout my childhood.  I imagine most of these will disappear over the coming years. It was one reason I decided to plant Pink Trumpet Trees both in the strip in front of where my mom lived, and her neighbors yard when I helped redo his curb area. As much as you hate seeing great trees go, at least there will be something enjoyable there for the future. 

Cut the tree down and bagged the 2 foot section to see if I could trap any bugs. There are holes from insects but didn't find any beetles so we don't think its the shot hole beetle, or at least they are gone for now. The spreading fungus on the leading edge of the infection is pink rot fungus or something similar. The green blisters are just green bark inside so we have no idea what is causing that. The other tree with the small infection had no pink rot when I scraped off the dead area. I was told by Don Hodel to treat it with Cleary's fungicide, keep it dry and watch it for any changes. Also never remove any leaf sheaths with a knife, just wait until the release by themselves. You can see a knife scar from manual removal on the other Kentia I am trying so save. I will update this if I get any new information.

20170719_092127.jpg

20170724_145308.jpg

MLW

In my small experience with Howeas, this looks a Thielaviopsis fungus.

May be i am mistaken, but it is possible. I have seen a few Howeas with this dissease.