IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

beccariophoenix alfredii (Please Help)

5150cycad

First off, Yes I know, I am an idiot and planted the Palm way too close to the fence. I saw a giant one yesterday and couldn't believe how incredibly big they actually get. The neighbor agreed that we can remove that section of the fence when the Palm gets too big. Fortunately the gate on my neighbors side is about 5 feet back so it wouldn't be an issue if the fence was removed. This section of the fence just serves as a privacy barrier. Lucky for me she loves Palm trees. 

Now to the bad stuff. Does anyone know what's going on with my beccariophoenix alfredii? I had this same issue with my dypsis onaheliensis but it wasn't nearly as bad and it eventually just grew out of it with no treatment. image.thumb.jpeg.07d222fd8418b62cd7181fdI just had to deal with a couple ugly looking fronds for several months. In this case, it seems to be a lot worse and is already attacking the newest leaf as well as half of the new sprear. I was going to treat with a fungicide (daconil) and maybe some hydrogen peroxide. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to lose this Palm. It has grown like a weed for me here in Eacondido, CA. The first picture is of the new spear coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

image.jpeg

Daconil and the peroxide are good options.  Keep the crown dry.  Water the palm more, theory being it will grow faster and push past the damaging fungus. 

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Daconil and the peroxide are good options.  Keep the crown dry.  Water the palm more, theory being it will grow faster and push past the damaging fungus. 

I will start with that. I usually water my garden once a week depending on the weather. I will up it twice a week for that particular Palm. Do these palms like a lot of water? I would water more but most of my garden consists of cycads and succulents which don't prefer a ton of water and can go long periods of time without it. I don't do overhead watering so water in the crown shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the information. 

1 hour ago, 5150cycad said:

I will start with that. I usually water my garden once a week depending on the weather. I will up it twice a week for that particular Palm. Do these palms like a lot of water? I would water more but most of my garden consists of cycads and succulents which don't prefer a ton of water and can go long periods of time without it. I don't do overhead watering so water in the crown shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the information. 

Alfies are awesome!  They seem to be able to handle some drought.  HOWEVER, they explode with more water.  If you happen to see photos of their habitat, they grow along streams in Madagascar.   Should be darn near impossible to over water them.

19 hours ago, Hammer said:

Alfies are awesome!  They seem to be able to handle some drought.  HOWEVER, they explode with more water.  If you happen to see photos of their habitat, they grow along streams in Madagascar.   Should be darn near impossible to over water them.

One of my favorite palms. I have 3 in my garden with the one picture above being my largest. I am going to start watering them all a lot more and seeing what happens. Stupid me has probably been starving them to near death. Thanks 

I accidentally overwatered mine last winter.  It got some pink rot, which it has grown through fine.  It is on the north side of the house, and maybe gets 1/2 day sun in the summer.  However your climate (and probably soil) presumably allow for more water.  So, my experience is mostly anecdotal.  

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53806-pink-rot/

3 hours ago, The Steve said:

I accidentally overwatered mine last winter.  It got some pink rot, which it has grown through fine.  It is on the north side of the house, and maybe gets 1/2 day sun in the summer.  However your climate (and probably soil) presumably allow for more water.  So, my experience is mostly anecdotal.  

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53806-pink-rot/

Steve what you experienced was precisely why I suggested no water in the crown.  Couple water in the crown with being on the north side and a partial day of sun, it can be a recipe for trouble. 

A dry crown with a palm on the south side of the house...in full sun...is going to love water.  In that situation it is going to be nearly impossible to over water, in SoCal, IMHO.

8 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

One of my favorite palms. I have 3 in my garden with the one picture above being my largest. I am going to start watering them all a lot more and seeing what happens. Stupid me has probably been starving them to near death. Thanks 

That's the beauty of Alfies.  They are tough.  I bet they weren't near death.  But if you do add water, I bet you notice a nice improvement in the speed of growth. 

One of my Alfie's was sitting in water in winter for about 3 weeks straight when the lake its planted next too was at maximum capacity. It didn't bother it one bit. They love water but can handle drought.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thank you for the information Hammer & Tyrone. I am going to change my watering right away, especially since it has been so darn hot out here. 

Bryan 5150:

As Hammer, The Steve and Tyrone have noted, alfies don't faze easy.

Give it some fungicide as Hammer suggests. They're a tough, rooty palm that recovers from problems in a good place, and I think yours is.

Mi Three Amigos get water in the crowns from my sprinkling, and they don't seem to have a problem. But I'm also much further inland, so maybe that makes a difference? We're all learning here, even Dr. Dransfield.

Keep your plant watered, and it should be fine.

(And, if not, plant a replacement further away from the fence. Don't feel bad; if it had been me, I'd have stuck a Jube or Para tor tor in there right on the borderline of the yards. . . )

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

12 hours ago, Hammer said:

Steve what you experienced was precisely why I suggested no water in the crown.  Couple water in the crown with being on the north side and a partial day of sun, it can be a recipe for trouble. 

A dry crown with a palm on the south side of the house...in full sun...is going to love water.  In that situation it is going to be nearly impossible to over water, in SoCal, IMHO.

My palm never gets water in the crown.  Interestingly, when it got attacked by fungus, I actually stopped watering (I treated w Daconil/CF), for about a month.  Similarly, I have a Bizzy in most-day Sun, with persistent, damp clay - and it thrives.  My point being that most of these issues don't have a one-size-fits-all approach, and that it's important to fully understand your Sun exposure, and soil conditions.  

7 hours ago, The Steve said:

My palm never gets water in the crown.  Interestingly, when it got attacked by fungus, I actually stopped watering (I treated w Daconil/CF), for about a month.  Similarly, I have a Bizzy in most-day Sun, with persistent, damp clay - and it thrives.  My point being that most of these issues don't have a one-size-fits-all approach, and that it's important to fully understand your Sun exposure, and soil conditions.  

That is an excellent point. 

You guys and your love for alfies convinced me to add an alfie to my Floribunda order :wub:

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 hours ago, Missi said:

You guys and your love for alfies convinced me to add an alfie to my Floribunda order :wub:

You just added one? 

About a a month ago I had a -3C event (unheard of for here according to the locals) and my Alfie's just sailed through with only slight leaf spotting and still pushing spears. My Hyophorbe indicas and Pritchardias look like they've had acid thrown over them. Real sad picture. But my Alfie's have really given me hope to achieve a coconut tropical look despite my rubbish climate. Real success story this species is. Just germinating the real Ravenea glauca so I wonder if that will be a similar success.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

You just added one? 

About a a month ago I had a -3C event (unheard of for here according to the locals) and my Alfie's just sailed through with only slight leaf spotting and still pushing spears. My Hyophorbe indicas and Pritchardias look like they've had acid thrown over them. Real sad picture. But my Alfie's have really given me hope to achieve a coconut tropical look despite my rubbish climate. Real success story this species is. Just germinating the real Ravenea glauca so I wonder if that will be a similar success.

Tyrone, I am not sure of your climate but I get really hot (106 degrees) and really cold (30 degrees). I have 4 alfies in my yard and they all laugh at the heat and cold. This fungus issue was my only problem in all my years growing them. Glad to see you are trying Ravena Glauca. That one is  great grower for me as well. Definitly worth a shot. I saw a beautiful one at the local Palm nursery (jungle jacks) and it was a beautiful palm. I am surprised That I haven't seen more of them around.  

2 hours ago, Missi said:

Missi, you won't be disappointed. Mine were pretty slow when they first started but they pick up speed after a couple of years in the ground. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Bryan 5150:

As Hammer, The Steve and Tyrone have noted, alfies don't faze easy.

Give it some fungicide as Hammer suggests. They're a tough, rooty palm that recovers from problems in a good place, and I think yours is.

Mi Three Amigos get water in the crowns from my sprinkling, and they don't seem to have a problem. But I'm also much further inland, so maybe that makes a difference? We're all learning here, even Dr. Dransfield.

Keep your plant watered, and it should be fine.

(And, if not, plant a replacement further away from the fence. Don't feel bad; if it had been me, I'd have stuck a Jube or Para tor tor in there right on the borderline of the yards. . . )

Dave, 

I took everyone's advise and treated the Palm. It might not look pretty for a while but I can think of worse things. I am definitly guilty when it comes to planting palms in places they don't fit as is the case with the location of my alfie. Lucky for me, my neighbor loves palms and cycads so she told me it would be okay to remove that section of the fence if the Palm gets too big.  I might not be so lucky with the other neighbor because I have a jubaea that I is planted within 2 feet of a block retaining wall. 

BTW, you have an amazing garden. I was just looking at some pictures of your garden taken by Pando. I always enjoy seeing his posts showing off everyone's gardens. He definitly has some skills with a camera. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Missi said:

Jeff had a bunch!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

Dave, 

I took everyone's advise and treated the Palm. It might not look pretty for a while but I can think of worse things. I am definitly guilty when it comes to planting palms in places they don't fit as is the case with the location of my alfie. Lucky for me, my neighbor loves palms and cycads so she told me it would be okay to remove that section of the fence if the Palm gets too big.  I might not be so lucky with the other neighbor because I have a jubaea that I is planted within 2 feet of a block retaining wall. 

BTW, you have an amazing garden. I was just looking at some pictures of your garden taken by Pando. I always enjoy seeing his posts showing off everyone's gardens. He definitly has some skills with a camera. 

Thanks for the kudos!

Move your Jube now, while it's still small, and Mr. Spinal Column won't mind as much. They move easily but get to 6 feet across the trunk.

14 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks for the kudos!

Move your Jube now, while it's still small, and Mr. Spinal Column won't mind as much. They move easily but get to 6 feet across the trunk.

Yes look after your spine and it will look after you. Abuse your spine and say Owwwwww forever. Agree move the Jubaea now, although it isn't exactly going to double in size in a year. You've got a bit of time.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Yes look after your spine and it will look after you. Abuse your spine and say Owwwwww forever. Agree move the Jubaea now, although it isn't exactly going to double in size in a year. You've got a bit of time.

I am not going to move it anytime soon. The only safe way of moving lt now is with a crane. Down with the wall. I forgot to mention that it is only a one foot retaining wall to separate my property from the neighbors. Hopefully my neighbor will be cool about taking down the wall. That will be a conversation for a different day. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my beccariophoenix alfredii which was having some fungus issues. After some advise from some fellow Palm talkers I decided to treat the infected area with daconil and increase the waterings to twice a week instead of my usual once a week for the rest of my garden. The Palm appears to be growing just fine now and has pushed out two leaves since my original post (both of which were damaged due to the fungus). The good news is that the new spear looks 100%. You can see the damage to one of the leaves in the first photo. It's amazing how much this Palm has sped up with the additional watering. It is really starting to take off now. image.thumb.jpeg.5cb1d5c383f9d85413729e4image.thumb.jpeg.1e9ffb4341fa08665a2e573

Thanks again to all! 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my beccariophoenix alfredii which was having some fungus issues. After some advise from some fellow Palm talkers I decided to treat the infected area with daconil and increase the waterings to twice a week instead of my usual once a week for the rest of my garden. The Palm appears to be growing just fine now and has pushed out two leaves since my original post (both of which were damaged due to the fungus). The good news is that the new spear looks 100%. You can see the damage to one of the leaves in the first photo. It's amazing how much this Palm has sped up with the additional watering. It is really starting to take off now. image.thumb.jpeg.5cb1d5c383f9d85413729e4image.thumb.jpeg.1e9ffb4341fa08665a2e573

Thanks again to all! 

:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1