IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismark palm seeds

CajunCindy

seeds are green and some have fallen off tree. Just need to know what to do from here. 

i await replies cindy. i have some bismarks that are making seed and also would like to know some good methods to get these guys off to a good start.

I usually just put them into deep pots in regular, commercial potting soil. They germinate within 2 months. 

• Upvote 1

I think they turn a brownish-black when they are ready and end up a little smaller than a medjool date.  You might need to wait a little if they are still green.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yes, mature seed will be dark brown/black and almost dry from the outside, certainly not green.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Ripe seed also has a sweet honey like odor when fully ripened.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I wait for them to fall. Many times the bats have chewed on them and often knock off unripe seed so I only collect black seeds and the skin is no longer fruity and many are dry and clean easily.

You do need a deep pot of about 1ft or 300mm.

• Upvote 2

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

3 hours ago, ErikSJI said:

This is about the time you would want to remove the seeds.

20187934_10156413535968626_1666540164_n.jpg

20182880_10156413535748626_28673862_n.jpg

I believe those palms are Latania's and not Bismarkia's. Seeds are similar though.

• Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

12 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

I believe those palms are Latania's and not Bismarkia's. Seeds are similar though.

The color of the ripe fruit is on point with bizzie ripe fruit though! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

I don't try to germinate them, they sprout by the 100s in my back yard. I must continue to mow the seedlings down until they run out of energy and die. I rake the seeds up and dump them on a mulch pile. 100s sprouted in the pile. I never thought that bismarkia palms would start naturalizing on my property, almost like queen palms do.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

I also have this issue walt, they fall off and germinate on the ground underneath the parent.  I guess they are well adapted to florida.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Ripe seeds are black and the size of apricots. Bizzies are exceedingly root sensitive. Seeds put out very long radicles, so you will have to use very deep pots, one seed to a pot so you have less chance of root damage. If you want to plant them directly, carefully pick your spot because you won't be able to move easily them later. This palm gets very large and takes up a lot of room in a yard.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A little story for fun - I was goofing around one evening and took a spade when I went to visit my mom. Her rental community always has TONS of seedlings under their bizzies, so I took that spade and scratched away several inches of mulch to pluck up some seedlings (then ever-so nicely replaced the mulch :innocent:). I wasn't expecting them to survive the rude uprooting, but 1 of the 3 did! After a couple years in a pot, I transplanted it to my yard. It's doing GREAT despite being mowed over twice :unsure::blush: Did the same with some Canary Island date palm seedlings I took from the same community...same: including them coming back from being mowed over a couple times! :lol:

• Upvote 3

On 7/19/2017, 7:44:00, sonoranfans said:

I also have this issue walt, they fall off and germinate on the ground underneath the parent.  I guess they are well adapted to florida.

Yep, that's what they do. Most pop up by the 100s (no exageration) within the canopy area of the palm, but some are coming up maybe 50 feet away, probably carried off by a squirrel, or possibly blown there. In any event, I never thought I would loathe bismarckia seedlings coming up on my property. They are becoming a nuisance. When a wholesale drop of seeds happens, I try to rake them up and dispose of them, as they make one heck of a racket when I hit them with my mower blades, some becoming flying projectiles.

Mad about palms

On 19/07/2017, 05:11:31, Missi said:

Yes, mature seed will be dark brown/black and almost dry from the outside, certainly not green.

When mature seeds fall to the ground they are green, and they stay that colour for a few weeks.    After a while, the outside flesh goes dark brown/black, dries up and eventually falls off, but that usually take six months.   I threw away five 20 litre buckets full a few months back.   

Here's a few pics of my bizzy taken today with fresh and old seeds on the ground below.

2je5il3.jpg

2d0ezwn.jpg

20ij2p.jpg

2l8c3gj.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2017, 2:50:38, steve99 said:

When mature seeds fall to the ground they are green, and they stay that colour for a few weeks.    After a while, the outside flesh goes dark brown/black, dries up and eventually falls off, but that usually take six months.   I threw away five 20 litre buckets full a few months back.   

Here's a few pics of my bizzy taken today with fresh and old seeds on the ground below.

2je5il3.jpg

2d0ezwn.jpg

20ij2p.jpg

2l8c3gj.jpg

Huh! Not the case with any bizzie fruit I've seen here in Florida. I see it mature to the black color THEN drop from the infructescences. 

I've tried twice to germinate Bizzie seeds and no luck either time.  I made sure to collect seeds from trees where I saw seedlings growing to be more confident about the viability.  Do you need to wait until the green fruit turns black?  If so maybe that was my problem.  Or maybe I need to go visit Walt and get some seed from him!  I keep reading how easy they are to germinate but not for me!  I guess I'll just keep trying...

Jon

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

I've tried twice to germinate Bizzie seeds and no luck either time.  I made sure to collect seeds from trees where I saw seedlings growing to be more confident about the viability.  Do you need to wait until the green fruit turns black?  If so maybe that was my problem.  Or maybe I need to go visit Walt and get some seed from him!  I keep reading how easy they are to germinate but not for me!  I guess I'll just keep trying...

Jon

I think you are trying to germinate immature seeds. Ripe seed is dark brown almost black and has a distinct sweet honey like smell.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c