IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mature Trachycarpus put into Full Sun (crown shrink)

Matthew92

We have 2 (of 3) Trachycarpus fortunei left in the landscaping from when our house was built almost 17 years ago. They have done surprisingly well, surviving upper teens (as expected), extremely poor, sandy soil, and temps in the 90's and 100's in the summer.

Here's one of the 2 remaining.

IMG_8746.thumb.JPG.49e231d87054b9a5aa2f4

They all have had good growth. The 2 that were in a more shady spot did the best. One of them was next to a spreading laurel oak, and had the most vertical growth compared to other 2. Well, the oak was getting huge, and being right next to the house, we removed it (this is back in July 2014). By the time of the oaks removal, the Trachy's crown was becoming buried in the canopy.

Here's the palm right after the oak tree was removed showing a healthy crown.

8a83bf.jpg

Slowly, but steadily after the oak tree was removed, fronds began to yellow and turn brown until the canopy now looks like this.

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.1a300ceb50443f12be292

I'm pretty sure this is a case of a sudden exposure to full sun.

It still has what looks like healthy green leaves coming out the top.

IMG_0176.thumb.JPG.da14bbbec36a97b96f9bb

I guess the crown may be miniature from now on.

IMG_0183.thumb.JPG.2fe7abc85ac97f70e25ac

Just for fun, here's a view from near the top.

IMG_0178.thumb.JPG.e0eddd041689206bee676

Our Trachy made me think of an place here in my town that has some Trachy's planted in a common median area. Many of them are quite old with all the trunk fiber/leaf bases long gone. It is in full sun, and their crowns look similarly small. I guess it's just their reaction to such conditions.

Conversely, ones I saw growing in full sun in a cooler and wetter climate (like near the waterfront in Vancouver, B.C.) had larger, much fuller crowns. I guess that climate must be that more favorable for them versus the very hot Southeast US in areas with sandy, infertile soil.

Here's the aforementioned median area planted with Trachy's. The other ones (farther down out of view) have similarly small crowns like this one

596a8186679e7_windmillNicevillepalm.thum

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

My were only planted in early/mid march but we have similar summers to florida and mine did well. I honestly think the longer term heat of Florida doesnt give them a break whereas north of you they get that in the fall and winter. Trachycarpus are native to cooler more pacific northwest/ocenaic type places so it makes sense. Mine saw heat in the 80s+ and tons of 90s+ from late April through October (minus the coldest august ever and super early frosts) but is already seeing relief from the heat where as Florida hasnt cooled off terribly minus that cold front this past week. 

Honestly Im thinking its the fact that Florida doesnt really cool off too much and having long summers are the Achilles heel for those palms. While mine love the same heat you get in the summer, they also had some cool march temps and milder fall than yall have. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Mine here in VA was planted with long fronds, in full sun. Adter the first summer the new ones are so stubby and short. 

PalmTreeDude

Here in Texas I was advised to plant a newly purchased Trachy so that it would be shaded from late afternoon sun.  I planted it in either Nov or Dec in an area of my yard where it was shaded in the mid to late afternoon (it was a fairly new house and didn't have many shade options).  It did fine through the winter and spring in full sun through the morning and early afternoon until the sun angle shifted and it lost the late afternoon shade.  It subsequently began to decline quite quickly and it did not survive.  It was provided sufficient water and looked like it was getting established well.  It might have been struggling with the high humidity first, but the afternoon sun seemed to do it in.

Jon

Jon Sunder

thats what happens to them in full sun in 2-3 years they will get a thinner trunk and they will lose the (hairs?) on the trunk.

In shade they get larger fuller leaves and they are darker.They also have thicker trunks.

I prefer them in shade,but they can look beautiful in full sun too,unless you get crazy hot with low humidity.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CroToni said:

thats what happens to them in full sun in 2-3 years they will get a thinner trunk and they will lose the (hairs?) on the trunk.

In shade they get larger fuller leaves and they are darker.They also have thicker trunks.

I prefer them in shade,but they can look beautiful in full sun too,unless you get crazy hot with low humidity.

Exactly that.   It is the combo of the shock of full sun burning off the older leaves, and, being now in full sun, the new leaves are more compact.  Almost every single one of these I have seen grown in full sun situations in climates they can thrive in where it is warmer, get the smaller crowns, and eventually get very tall and skinny and look like mini Washingtonias.   I have seen these as tall as 40 feet or more in some places. Personally I think they look great both ways.  It just adds to the uniqueness of this species. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2017, 12:13:49, mdsonofthesouth said:

My were only planted in early/mid march but we have similar summers to florida and mine did well. I honestly think the longer term heat of Florida doesnt give them a break whereas north of you they get that in the fall and winter. Trachycarpus are native to cooler more pacific northwest/ocenaic type places so it makes sense. Mine saw heat in the 80s+ and tons of 90s+ from late April through October (minus the coldest august ever and super early frosts) but is already seeing relief from the heat where as Florida hasnt cooled off terribly minus that cold front this past week. 

Honestly Im thinking its the fact that Florida doesnt really cool off too much and having long summers are the Achilles heel for those palms. While mine love the same heat you get in the summer, they also had some cool march temps and milder fall than yall have. 

Well, I definitely think what you said about Trachycarpus not doing well with too much heat is true in Central Florida. However, my area has been getting plenty of cooler temps since mid-October at least and is much like the rest of the southeast (minus areas warmer than zone 8). Again, they do GREAT in this area if in a little more shade.

I had heard that Trachycarpus had issues with nematodes in Central Florida and that was especially true in poor soils.  I have a shaded area of the yard that has very rich soil.  Has anyone had any luck with these below Gainesville?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 months later...

Just for fun, here are some more pictures of those T. fortunei planted in the median I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think some of these guys are quite old.

WIN_20180212_115540.thumb.JPG.4341d7d02e

WIN_20180212_115557.thumb.JPG.a376413241

WIN_20180212_115613.thumb.JPG.2d161dfbcc

WIN_20180212_115640.thumb.JPG.154e77d296

WIN_20180212_115701.thumb.JPG.54310ce399

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Here's an update on my "crown shrinked" Trachycarpus fortunei. It still gets scorched looking/yellowish at times; however, I just pruned some brown leaves and removed most of the old leaf bases and it looks better.

IMG_1598.thumb.JPG.9417c50ecfcd5f7f541ea

• Upvote 2