IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

watering how much how often

palm789

I am keeping a fortunei and a nova in 15liter pots fully rooted will plant them out next year how many liters of water would be enough for these? would 6liters be enough or is that overkill? also how often would you water trachycarpus in pots? please someone help

Edited by palm789

After killing my fair share of palms by over watering(even when I didn't think I was) I will say this.....

A palm can show when it's been dry to long and when noticed given water and aside from some dry tips probably not much else will happen. Give a palm to much water? and the damage can happen suddenly and usually without the ability to save palm. 

Unless you have a bog/water loving palm.....less is more.

• Upvote 1

Mate, so many variables. I stick my finger in and feel it. Sashaeffer is right.

Go into the soil an inch or two and you will know if it is too dry.

Also soak the whole pot in a surfactant, a soil wetter, that will ensure that there is no 'tracking' if you water it from the top.

But preferably don't water it from the top, lower the whole pot into a bucket of water then let it drain, that is the best way.

It will then take as much as it needs. Do that as often as the finger test dictates. I'm guessing once or twice a week. Probably once.

"After killing my fair share of palms by over watering"  We have all been there.

But not after using the finger test and immersion method. This assumes a free draining soil mix, which is a necessity in any case.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

10 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Mate, so many variables. I stick my finger in and feel it. Sashaeffer is right.

Go into the soil an inch or two and you will know if it is too dry.

Also soak the whole pot in a surfactant, a soil wetter, that will ensure that there is no 'tracking' if you water it from the top.

But preferably don't water it from the top, lower the whole pot into a bucket of water then let it drain, that is the best way.

It will then take as much as it needs. Do that as often as the finger test dictates. I'm guessing once or twice a week. Probably once.

"After killing my fair share of palms by over watering"  We have all been there.

But not after using the finger test and immersion method. This assumes a free draining soil mix, which is a necessity in any case.

Let us know how it goes.

That is a different way to water potted palms, how long should the Palm be submerged in the bucket of water for? 

I'll add from my own experience that soil (media) that you palm is in has a lot to do with it as well. "fast draining" can be confusing because soil that drains to fast can allow palms to not get sufficient water and dry out.

I use a moisture meter only as a guideline as clay type soils will almost always show it to be "wet" while a fine Orchid mix like I use on other palms can always show "dry" even after watering.

Part of that problem is if you buy a palm that is already potted and in it's own soil it's been growing in. I've bought palms in Southern California that I've either had shipped back or brought back in my truck during road trips and the palms were used to the climate and owners watering schedule which will be different than mine at home based on the palms new environment and needs.  Bare root bought palms can give you a choice of what media works best or you, the palm and the environment it was growing in.

really it can be trial and error. Just don't be to hard on yourself if you loose a few in the learning process.

the soil was dryish and watered the 15 liter pot with 10 liters of water most drained out the bottom,hope i did ok

Lower the pot into the water until the top of the soil is level with the water, the soil will virtually immediately appear to moisten. 

That's it, raise it and let it drain. The first time that you do it, put some surfactant in the water, that will ensure that it is wet evenly throughout.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.