IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea chilensis - blue form?

Jdiaz31089

Palmpedia notes that there is a blue form of Jubaea chilensis. This is one in my neighborhood that is significantly "blue-er" than my own jubaea (no trunk yet). I don't think any mature Jubaea I've seen is fully green - they all seem to have some degree of blue in them [compare the color to the fronds of the phoenix canariensis beside it]. In person, this one almost looks grey, and glistens in the sun. Of course, I think color may vary depending on sun exposure, the age of the palm, and other factors, but does this Jubaea seem to be one of those legendary "blue" Jubaeas? I went by the other day to collect seed, but the squirrels beat me to them. I will have to keep a closer watch on the next batch of ripening fruit to collect them as soon as they fall to the ground. 

20170713_131130.thumb.jpg.94c3ce91754bee

• Upvote 3

Here in San Diego, there's a grove of them at  Mission Bay park. There is one "blue" one that can be easily distinguished from all the others, even when zipping by on the freeway at 70 mph. It's a great looking palm.  

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Yeah when i get out to cali i always have to pull off the freeway and take another look at that one at the park. Always nice to see it. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Here in San Diego, there's a grove of them at  Mission Bay park. There is one "blue" one that can be easily distinguished from all the others, even when zipping by on the freeway at 70 mph. It's a great looking palm.  

Cool, I've seen pictures of that grove, but never of the blue one. Do you have any pictures of it?

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Look for it every time I drive by.....

The one in Capitol Park in Sacramento, California, has a something of a bluish tint to the fronds. Here are two views (circa 2013). 

Jubaea_chilensis-CaptlPrk-Sacto-June2013.jpg

J.chilensis-CaptlPrk-Sacto-June2013.jpg

• Upvote 5