IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Check this out,Google street view Spt,2013

Jimhardy

It was the last year for the Sequoia and the Butterfly bushes...
Warmth in late Feb(2014) lots of rain -and sub zero temps in
March took them out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0076777,-91.9700313,3a,75y,16.01h,67.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sueTEiQZ0pmWuHwarZZfPhg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Upvote 5

It looked very nice Jim. Sorry that the following winter took such a toll on your landscape. I suppose that's a risk we all have to live with as zone pushers.

Aw no way! I remember seeing you post about your sequoia tree on the gardenweb forums. So was it the cold that killed the sequoia? That's hard for me to immagine - the sequoias grow about 40 miles from me where it freezes regularly so I think of them as alpine, cold-weather trees. 

I’m not surprise with the sequoia dying, but the butterfly bush I thought that would be hardy for you? I have a few butterfly bushes that are 15 ft tall. Sorry to hear yours are gone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you guys!

A fatal error occurred with the Sequoia,I had been going out of town for the winter

to stay out in Arizona most of the winter in the past but had not been out there

in 8 years to see my mom(sadly it was the last time I got to see her ...)and although I got everything

covered and ready for winter- I FORGOT TO PUSH THE MULCH BACK UP TO

THE TRUNK OF THE TREE,this left the tender roots near the trunk exposed

to heavy moisture/warmth but the kiss of death was hitting -8F in March!

Edited by Jimhardy

I'm really curious as to why that temperature would kill a sequoia. I was under the impression that they would be able to withstand those temperatures. They grow in the mountains just east of us, and I know for certain that it gets rather cold. In fact, record lows for Sequoia National Park are well below 0 degrees. 

Capture.JPG.ac076c3a8c3de5c738c79447b1d5

• Upvote 1

Not necessarily the air temp but the ground

temps and what it does to the roots....I had a small Sequoia under

a rose cone @ -18F and it looked perfect in spring.