IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are these crownshaft palms?

Sandy Loam

Hello all.  I will try to separate these into individual posts. What are these crownshaft palms?  All of these photos were taken in Naples, Florida (southwestern Florida), but the first two photos are of a type of palm that I see all the time when I am in southeastern Florida.  What are they?

PHOTO 1 (below) - Note that I am referring to the taller group of trees in the background, and not the shorter Roystonea Regia in the foreground or the ptychosperma elegans to the left. Thanks.

IMG_20170711_1452370.jpg

Yes, that short fluffy one is a Foxtail.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

The tall palm in the center of the first photo, where you can't see the leaves: Lightpolicus reflecticus.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

2 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

The tall palm in the center of the first photo, where you can't see the leaves: Lightpolicus reflecticus.

Lol. Funny guy.

... and another one again... maybe??? (Ignore the royal palms in the background)

IMG_20170712_1128069.jpg

Ignore the coconut trees in this photo. Is the other tree also veitchia arecina?  Sorry to be such a nuisance but I think I might finally be able to identify these successfully.  All photos were taken in Naples, Florida. 

IMG_20170711_1357428.jpg

Again, are all of these veitchia arecina? Please ignore the adonidia merilli.  Photos taken in Naples, Florida. 

IMG_20170712_0928247.jpg

Please ignore the coconut trees in this photo. The tree in the middle is also veitchia arecina? 

Again, Naples, Florida.

IMG_20170711_1356433.jpg

Here is the tree in PHOTO 4 one more time. It should be easier to see in this photo. (Ignore the Roystonea surrounding what MIGHT be a veitchia arecina)

This is finally my last photo.

Thanks for your identifications!

IMG_20170712_1127573.jpg

Pic # 4 looks like it might be an Archontophoenix, with its slightly twisting fronds,

Pic # 5 looks like another Veitchia, can't say what species.

Pic # 6 looks like Carpentaria acuminata.

Pic # 7 looks like a Veitchia or possibly a Foxy Lady (cross between Veitchia and Wodyetia).

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Thanks Jerry.  Wow, these are hard to tell apart, for me at least.  To my eyes, the commonality is a very pale green crownshaft.

What about PHOTO 3?

Any more ID opinions out there?

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

Thanks Jerry.  Wow, these are hard to tell apart, for me at least.  To my eyes, the commonality is a very pale green crownshaft.

What about PHOTO 3?

Any more ID opinions out there?

3 is Veitchia too.  Very typical of the genus, straight rachis and flat to drooping leaflets.usually larger fruit (1.5 -2 inches)

Archonto = slightly twisting frond, small fruit

Carpie = strongly recurved fronds.  Typical Loooong internodalgrowth, (widely spaced leaf scars on trunk) with trunk very gradually tapering toward crown.

Foxy Lady = many features of both parents but faster and more robust growth.  Black scurf on crownshaft, wider leaflets, no bulge or smaller bulge in trunk than Wodyetia.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Here is that one by the pool again, this time from a different angle. What fascinates me is how it's trunk looks so similar to the coconut trunks surrounding it.  

Pardon the reflection on the photo.  This picture was taken through a window pane.

IMG_20170713_1651271.jpg

One more for the road -- also veitchia arecina, I think?  This photo was also taken at the same place in Naples, Florida. 

tmp-cam-248906449.jpg