IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PAPalmGrower

I purchased this palm via mail order in early April this year as a 7 gallon "Nannorrhops ritchieana". However, the specimen I received has silvery-gray leaves and a very stunted appearance. Some have suggested it may be the variety commonly called Nannorrhops 'arabica', but yet others say it appears to have grown much more slowly than 'arabica' would and may be what is referred to as Nannorrhops ritchieana sp. 'Silver' or possibly the Kashmir form of Mazari palm (Nannorrhops ritchieana var. 'Kashmiri'). Any thoughts as to what I may have here? Although Mazari palms can all be lumped together as 'Nannorrhops ritchieana', they vary in their cold and moisture tolerance.

I potted it into a slightly larger pot back in mid April in a very well draining mix including perlite and sand.  I added some lime to the mix and it is placed in a hot and very sunny exposed location. After it was potted, I went out of town for two weeks and it only got lightly watered by a neighbor.  During this time it lost about 50% of its fronds, likely due to not being watered enough or perhaps transplant shock.  However, I've kept it evenly moist since then and it has stabilized and not lost any more fronds.  I'm in central Pennsylvania, USA and we've had a warm summer and highs have been in the 80s and 90s F. Our max temp this year has been 95 F (35 C).  Although I've had it for three months now, it hasn't grown at all.  The spear is firm and healthy looking, but hasn't extended. Any thoughts why it may not have grown?  Anything I can do to stimulate growth?  The roots were not disturbed after being repotted.  I know that some palms "sulk" after significant frond loss, and perhaps loosing half its fronds in the early stage has shocked it.

(For the record, I do have two green leaf Nannorrhops ritchieana from Pakistan/Afghanistan and they are growing normally in the same area.)  

Thanks.

18449707_10213407891660431_960846677044079337_o.jpg

17499555_10212912373832795_3877553532861202592_n.jpg

17626489_10212912372552763_6124860443352377735_n.jpg

17629953_10212912374592814_7586517093306388366_n.jpg

17629817_10212912375352833_1883848170014134131_n.jpg

17554225_10212912372872771_749010606221035785_n.jpg

17457657_10212912371952748_2181305917224613002_n.jpg

17458430_10212912373352783_755673988853144564_n.jpg

17629733_10212912374272806_2527540509190159237_n.jpg

17523229_10212912372312757_8482490228568110310_n.jpg

17626623_10212912374832820_1952088858673452171_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Looks like Arabica to me

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

It looks like a bonsai.  I like it just like it is.  I've killed every one of those I've ever owned...well except one that is just sitting here feeding nematodes.  Its declined to 10% of its former glory...growing in a pot where it was watered every day.  

If it dried out while you were away, that would explain the leaf loss.  Desert plants don't like being confined to pots.  In nature, they grow big root systems to compensate for low water availability.  In pots, they just need plenty of water...preferably without getting the fronds wet.  "Feet in the water, head in the sun".  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

23 hours ago, Kris said:

That beautiful palm needs a new bigger pot or needs to be planted in the ground.

Kris - thank you! I would love to plant it in the ground; unfortunately, where I live, we can get down to -20 C or even colder in some winters... and we have long stretches that stay well below freezing during the days... and lots of snow... just too cold for it without major winter protection outside.  The pot is actually a decent size - here's another picture that shows how deep it is.  Its the largest terracotta pot that I could find.  I will have to up-size to a larger non-terracotta pot in a year or two.  I know that Nannorrhops have long roots that like to have room to grow.

20170712_201208.jpg

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

It looks like a bonsai.  I like it just like it is.  I've killed every one of those I've ever owned...well except one that is just sitting here feeding nematodes.  Its declined to 10% of its former glory...growing in a pot where it was watered every day.  

If it dried out while you were away, that would explain the leaf loss.  Desert plants don't like being confined to pots.  In nature, they grow big root systems to compensate for low water availability.  In pots, they just need plenty of water...preferably without getting the fronds wet.  "Feet in the water, head in the sun".  

Thanks, Keith! I have this one, plus two of the Nannorrhops ritchieana green form from Pakistan/Afghanistan, plus five of the Kashmir form Mazari palms.  Those all are just small, young specimens.

How frequently would you recommend I water it? Once per day in hot weather?  I would keep it dry over the winter.  Fortunately, our summers are usually quite dry - so the fronds stay mostly dry.  I never water directly on them.

We're getting some really nice warm weather (high 80s F - low 90s F) and warm nights - I'm finally seeing some movement on the spear - I drew a tiny black dot on the frond behind it and the spear is moving up above the dot now!

20170712_201846.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PAPalmGrower said:

Kris - thank you! I would love to plant it in the ground; unfortunately, where I live, we can get down to -20 C or even colder in some winters... and we have long stretches that stay well below freezing during the days... and lots of snow... just too cold for it without major winter protection outside.  The pot is actually a decent size - here's another picture that shows how deep it is.  Its the largest terracotta pot that I could find.  I will have to up-size to a larger non-terracotta pot in a year or two.  I know that Nannorrhops have long roots that like to have room to grow.

20170712_201208.jpg

Okay,But when their roots turn black,meaning those exposed to open sunlight and air..the palms performance get reduce and slowly they die as i have experienced with few of my  Borassus flabellifer palm saplings.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

6 minutes ago, Kris said:

Okay,But when their roots turn black,meaning those exposed to open sunlight and air..the palms performance get reduce and slowly they die as i have experienced with few of my  Borassus flabellifer palm saplings.

Love,

Kris.

Kris - thanks again for the information.  Due to my limited planting options, would it be advisable to place some of the black stones over the exposed roots to cover them slightly?

11 minutes ago, PAPalmGrower said:

Kris - thanks again for the information.  Due to my limited planting options, would it be advisable to place some of the black stones over the exposed roots to cover them slightly?

No,you have to repot it in a bigger container or better use industrial barrel.And all its roots must touch the potting soil and not rocks as seen in your still. Sooner the better.

See some of my old posts/Threads where i have used paint buckets and black industrial barrels to grow palms.

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

6 minutes ago, PAPalmGrower said:

Follow Kris advice!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

9 hours ago, PAPalmGrower said:

Thanks, Keith! I have this one, plus two of the Nannorrhops ritchieana green form from Pakistan/Afghanistan, plus five of the Kashmir form Mazari palms.  Those all are just small, young specimens.

How frequently would you recommend I water it? Once per day in hot weather?  I would keep it dry over the winter.  Fortunately, our summers are usually quite dry - so the fronds stay mostly dry.  I never water directly on them.

Keeping in mind, i have nearly a 100% kill rate on this species, you might want to consider whether to follow my advice.  

Anyway, if its potbound, it will need frequent watering, maybe daily.  The one I bought was terribly root bound and on an automatic irrigation system at the nursery.  It was watered daily.  When I planted it, It didn't get as much water, and it went into decline pretty darn quick.  The roots were so bound up in the shape of the old pot that it made no difference if the surrounding soil was wet or not.  Then the nematodes went to town like I had planted a salad bar so the outcome was predictable, and sad.  In your case I expect you plan to keep it in a pot for the foreseeable future?  If so, don't let it dry out too much but don't just stand it it a pan of water either. I don't know if Nannorrhops is native to stream beds like desert Sabals, Washingtonia and Livistona, but if it is, they probably prefer more water than one might predict.    Maybe a successful Nanny grower can chime in here.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.