IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's this gooey thing coming out from the seed

Cocos korea

This seed was the most healthy looking seed but now his is going strange!

I put these seeds in a plastic case with damp sphagnum moss and float the plastic case on the water heated with aquarium heater( 30~34 celcius)

One of the bismarckia seed in the photo germinated ... so I think the environment is okay..

but this areca is looking not good..

It is still hard as stone but I am afraid :(

20170710_165347.jpg

20170710_165614.jpg

• Upvote 1

So you don't think that it is a root?

I think that some roots come out like that.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 7/10/2017, 1:00:09, Cocos korea said:

This seed was the most healthy looking seed but now his is going strange!

I put these seeds in a plastic case with damp sphagnum moss and float the plastic case on the water heated with aquarium heater( 30~34 celcius)

One of the bismarckia seed in the photo germinated ... so I think the environment is okay..

but this areca is looking not good..

It is still hard as stone but I am afraid :(

20170710_165347.jpg

I think you can call yourself a proud pappa!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

On 2017. 7. 11. 오전, gtsteve said:

So you don't think that it is a root?

I think that some roots come out like that.

I wish it was a root!

It was covering the eye of the seed..and it washed off easily with water..  please check out my other photos!

20170712_173656.jpg

Edited by Cocos korea

16 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

It is a monster :evil: creeping out of palm seeds like this one is just doing here too: :sick:

5964fe0e1058f_N17212017-06-28P1030773.th

congratulations for your new lady palm!

Sadly, it washed off with water :(

and if you look close into my first photo, you can see some bubbles on  the gray thing!

20170712_173656.jpg

14 hours ago, Patrick said:

I think you can call yourself a proud pappa!

haha Thank you, well I do have some bismarckias which are staying together with the areca germintating! 

These seeds were from same ebay seller, and I am glad at least bismarckias are starting their life under my care. 

20170712_172839.jpg

I once had a girl show me a "+" on a pregnancy test and then told me she was joking. This reminds me of that :evil:

Bismark looks good! You're lucky the seed is so clean I remember the mess and the smell from when I cleaned a bunch of seeds years ago. Never again!

• Upvote 3

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Ok if it washes of and is bubbling then the seed is probably rotten,

I would separate it from the rest.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 2017. 7. 12. 오후, Patrick said:

I once had a girl show me a "+" on a pregnancy test and then told me she was joking. This reminds me of that :evil:

Bismark looks good! You're lucky the seed is so clean I remember the mess and the smell from when I cleaned a bunch of seeds years ago. Never again!

The cleaning job was done by me because there were only 5 seeds, but It was a mess!! Smelly and lots of insects hiding in the fruit, It wasn't a great experience lol