IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms to hold the soil?

Cindy Adair

I am ready to try some plants to help hold the soil after my landslide.

My question today is about possibly using my Arenga undulatifolia (still in a pot now) plus a bunch of torch gingers and an ornamental banana I also have handy? Full sun, more clay than I'd like in that part of my property. 

I would guess a clumping palm if any and I do have others like Cyrtostachys renda for example.

I also have quite a number of choices of non palm trees and many miscellaneous ornamentals, if you nix the palm idea.

I am hoping to use plants I already own rather than heading to a nursery. No wires above so I don't care how tall it might get.

Thanks for your help as always!

Cindy Adair

Cindy, Archontophoenix alexandre has been used extensively here in east Hawaii by the sugar cane companies to stabilize 

the steep sides of the gulches. The palms did such a good job that they are now invasive and come up everywhere, almost like 

W. robusta in Southern California.  

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I would use Bismarckias , The large leaves help protect the soil from heavy downpours and they have a deep growing root system.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I like both ideas very much but as of this moment do not even have seedlings of these species, much less large enough ones to hold the soil. Bismarckias are available here, but not close to me. I can get Archontophoenix seed but a long wait.

So I went "shopping" where everything is free and steps away from my door, meaning my collection of overdue to be planted items.

I ended up grabbing two Salaccas, 3 Cola nuts, one Musa acuminata and some ornamental variegated grass? and a torch ginger, all my own divisions or seed grown plants. I added one of my Cyrtostachys rendas from the recent PR sale. 

DSCN6821.thumb.jpg.0a7e27e5b7bd47f10d93e

DSCN6820.thumb.jpg.1022dba7bec4eb7fd3822

Then twice yesterday I worked until exhaustion set in and soaked to the skin I had to stop each time. The above plants are now in position and after 24 hours they look like they are handling the location pretty well. They were in mostly sun before, so I am hopeful, but will wait a bit longer before planting them. Then I plan to fill in gaps with whatever is handy and see what happens. I fear I need to replant larger sections nearby or face the same issue as lots of time left in the rainy season here.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

(Snorting into crying towel.)

I should have such a problem . . . an excuse to plant marvelous plants on a tropical isle!

Ahem.

People say that about my garden, too.

Some palms are really rooty, like Phoenix and Syagrus, but it sounds like your problem is on its way to being handled. I'm curious to see how C. renda works for that. My guess is it might be a bit dicey unless you get as much rain as they do in Hilo.

Hmm. Maybe a Beccariophoenix alfredii? They're really rooty, and I for one would be curious to see how they'd do over in PR.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave! I do have a few B. alfredii seedlings, but they are not replaceable here so don't dare risk them except in a safer location.

However if I have not planted them by the time they get bigger and tougher I could risk one in the future!

Both Queens and CIDPs are common here although I do not have any. Those I could locate at my closest Big Box store and might help hold the soil elsewhere.

Oh as far as rain, I can't quantify it but "lots" would be fair enough. Once it is in the ground here it is pretty much on its own and I have not watered anything in pots in months. The exception being succulents and mediterranean herbs and such that I keep in clay pots and protected from rain or they would rot. Those I hand water occasionally.

It is actually amazing that we can even grow any of the same palms as our climate is so different. I do stay try to stay clear of desert palms though.

I believe lipstick palms grow very well pretty much everywhere in PR and with my extra seedlings (6 for $20) I felt I could spare a larger one to grab hold of my landslide. 

Thanks for all the ideas!

Cindy Adair