IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oh happy day!

Jdiaz31089

I checked my community pots today and was delighted to finally see movement on several batches of seed! Nothing extraordinary, but I definitely just wanted to share my excitement.

I have germination on Sabal Lisa (tons of them! Thanks Zeeth, and Meg!)

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Cocothrinax miraguama var. havanensis

coccothrinax argentea

Ravenea rivularis - pictured here

Chambeyronia macrocarpa- blonde (Thanks Josh Allen)

Aiphanes mínima  (will live potted for as long as I can keep them)

Bismarkia nobilis - green and blue form

Stemadennia littoralis- not a palm, but really looking forward to growing these out.

20170707_181755.jpg

• Upvote 4

I find growing things from seed to be an incredibly rewarding experience when they germinate and equally devastating when they dont germinate.

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

1 hour ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I checked my community pots today and was delighted to finally see movement on several batches of seed! Nothing extraordinary, but I definitely just wanted to share my excitement.

I have germination on Sabal Lisa (tons of them! Thanks Zeeth, and Meg!)

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Cocothrinax miraguama var. havanensis

coccothrinax argentea

Ravenea rivularis - pictured here

Chambeyronia macrocarpa- blonde (Thanks Josh Allen)

Aiphanes mínima  (will live potted for as long as I can keep them)

Bismarkia nobilis - green and blue form

Stemadennia littoralis- not a palm, but really looking forward to growing these out.

20170707_181755.jpg

Let us all know when you open your palm nursery! ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scottgt said:

I find growing things from seed to be an incredibly rewarding experience when they germinate and equally devastating when they dont germinate.

I agree completely.

55 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Let us all know when you open your palm nursery! ;)

Hah! well if they all survive, i plan on donating some to the local zoo and to a city organization that's dedicated to planting trees in public places. Hopefully some of my seedlings end up where they can be enjoyed by the public. 

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah 

you go bro!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:greenthumb: nice list, don't see you having much trouble with any of these. As I'm sure you know, the Lisas will take some time to sort out. Mine are just beginning to really take off ( 2nd yr. from seed) and are just about ready to be seperated into seperate pots. But, as Meg had discussed before, it may be another year or so before obvious "lisoid" traits start to show.  Coccothrinax also take their time progressing through the strap leaf stage( at least has been my experience here so far) A few of mine just started throwing palmate fronds this spring. They're also on their second year. 

Treat the Stemmadenia like Kopsia in winter, at least when small. You'll really like the look of it when older.

• 7 months later...

Updates?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

All of them are cozy in my little greenhouse except aiphanes and chabeyronia. The big nuts were irresistible for our squirrels. I might have one of the chambeys left... I'll have to check!

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Updates?

15 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

All of them are cozy in my little greenhouse except aiphanes and chabeyronia. The big nuts were irresistible for our squirrels. I might have one of the chambeys left... I'll have to check!

I lost so many seedlings to squirrels early in my attempts, it prompted me to build an enclosure to keep them out :rant:

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I also had a community pot of Ravenea stolen from my porch. Luckily, I had separated about 30 seedlings into individual pots before then so i at least have those 30 or so. I really doubt whoever took them would know what they are, or that they will need to divide the pot of 200 or so Ravenea... 

11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I also had a community pot of Ravenea stolen from my porch. Luckily, I had separated about 30 seedlings into individual pots before then so i at least have those 30 or so. I really doubt whoever took them would know what they are, or that they will need to divide the pot of 200 or so Ravenea... 

Someone. Stole. Seedlings. From you porch?!!!!!!!!!! :rage::rant: What the af?!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Someone. Stole. Seedlings. From you porch?!!!!!!!!!! :rage::rant: What the af?!

Yeah, they took that community pot of Ravenea and a couple of cacti I had staged to repot. Urban gardening problems, I guess :bummed:

• Upvote 2

C. Miraguama havanensis. I have about 100 of these outside the greenhouse that did just fine outdoors.

1519850516247239228882.jpg

• Upvote 1

These are the Ravenea seedlings from the original post. They were recently attacked by snails. 

1519850833881484096860.jpg