IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Small Palms for Texas

Swolte

Hi all, 

I have been lurking on the forums for a while and I'm really impressed with the community. I've recently become interested in growing palms and am already the proud owner of some thriving Needle palms, a European fan palm, and a Jubaea x Butia hybrid. I have a sunny, irrigated, and well-draining spot in my yard that I would like to dedicate to a small palm. Nothing too big as it is to the front of a flowerbed and I don't want it to block ALL the flora behind it (I guess a max of 10' would be the max). I plan to put it in a modestly sized decorative ring of stones such as displayed in the attached pic.

I am in zone 8B (College Station, TX) with average minimum temperatures of 40 F and average max temperatures of 95F. Extremes of 14F to over 100F are possible and it get quite humid (though not as humid as Houston). I am willing to amend soil to whatever works best (most of it here is not too fertile).

Would you have any recommendations for a (hybrid) palm I could try in these parts of the country? My preference would go for something uniquely different from what I already have. I am particularly enamored by a palms with a large but short trunk such as a Pineapple palm (Phoenix canariensis). Unfortunately, they grow too large and I am not too sure they'd do well here.

Thanks!

~ Steven

EFP.jpg

Edited by Swolte

1 hour ago, John Mac said:

How about a Bottle Palm, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis,......

IMG_0182.JPG

Not nearly cold hardy enough for 8B in Texas.  They even freeze out here in some locations during a rough winter.  This is considered a 10a palm.

@Swolte

Sabal Minor and Sabal Louisiana would probably work.  Trachycarpus sp. don't usually get too imposing.  There are a number of Butia that would work.  They aren't hybrids, but they would likely stay compact enough for you.  If you're dead set on hybrids, in addition to the butia/jubaea/syagarus hybrids, there are a number of hybridized phoenix's that would work.  You'll probably want something hybridized with phoenix roebelenii since that would keep the size down and give it some better tolerance for humidity.

Edited by kinzyjr
Add second reply.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

John, what planet is that Palm from! Looked perfect... Too bad about these dang frosts here!

Will look into those, kinzyjr, thanks!

~ S

Edited by Swolte

Yes , it's a cracker. We have them here on Fuerteventura, you can grow them in big pots! The council line the streets with them. Lovely and clean too, no nasty boots! Sorry about the frost....it's a distant memory for me!

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

Hi all, 

I have been lurking on the forums for a while and I'm really impressed with the community. I've recently become interested in growing palms and am already the proud owner of some thriving Needle palms, a European fan palm, and a Jubaea x Butia hybrid. I have a sunny, irrigated, and well-draining spot in my yard that I would like to dedicate to a small palm. Nothing too big as it is to the front of a flowerbed and I don't want it to block ALL the flora behind it (I guess a max of 10' would be the max). I plan to put it in a modestly sized decorative ring of stones such as displayed in the attached pic.

I am in zone 8B (College Station, TX) with average minimum temperatures of 40 F and average max temperatures of 95F. Extremes of 14F to over 100F are possible and it get quite humid (though not as humid as Houston). I am willing to amend soil to whatever works best (most of it here is not too fertile).

Would you have any recommendations for a (hybrid) palm I could try in these parts of the country? My preference would go for something uniquely different from what I already have. I am particularly enamored by a palms with a large but short trunk such as a Pineapple palm (Phoenix canariensis). Unfortunately, they grow too large and I am not too sure they'd do well here.

Thanks!

~ Steven

EFP.jpg

Brahea.  There are lots of species of Brahea that would work.  Some get big though, e.g. Brahea armata.  Brahea moorei would be super spiffy, if you can find one.  It'd probably like a bit of shade though.  This link might work to show you what Brahea armata looks like.  http://drveceigrmlje.4t.com/Brahea%20armata.htm

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Armata is probably not going to like it in college station as the rainfall and dew points are close to Houston.  Clara would work though. Several livistona would work there as well as a nice mule. 

Welcome to the forum Swolte!  I moved from Brenham to Corpus last December and I remember seeing Phoenix canariensis and Phoenix silvestris growing there just fine, but like you mentioned they get very large.  If the area you were planning to use was pretty shaded, I would recommend either Chamaedorea radicalis or Chamaedorea microspadix which are very cold hardy and don't get taller than 8 feet.  If the area has a lot of sun I'm not sure these would survive the summers but you could also try Nannorrhops ritchieana (Mazari palm which can get to 15 feet but very slowly) or even Serenoa repens (saw palmetto) which can also handle the cold, full sun and drought.  Unfortunately these can be a bit hard to find.  I liked the suggestion by Kinzyjr for the Sabal minor Louisiana - I knew someone in Brenham who had two mature specimens that were less than 10' tall but at least that wide also - they provided shade for almost the entire front of his house!

Jon Sunder