IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What fish do you catch in your part of the world?

Kai

As a dedicated flyfisher I'm very interested in fish from other parts of the world. I catch pike, zander, perch, rudd, roach and some other freshwater species in and around Amsterdam.

Pictures of a few will follow soon.

Please share your fish!

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

BTW, your rudd & roach look like shiners we used to use to catch pike & musky up north.

Oh catching a musky is on top of my bucket list. Sadly we don't have them here.

Last year I was able cross out tarpon on the fly... oh man, that fish showed me half the river!

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Nice fish!

I don't fish myself, but last time I went down to Pohoiki a guy loaded a huge fish into the back of his truck.  When asked, he said it was a 75-80 lb. barracuda.  He was kayak fishing with a pole.  Later I read they may not be so good to eat. :sick:  Even so, I wish I had taken a pic, it was quite impressive.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

do you cook and eat, or catch and release?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Caught this one on the way to work one day.

yellow fin tuna.jpg

• Upvote 7

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Fishing is one of my favorite things other than palm trees, here are some pictures from a fishing tornament i was in yesterday and the week before. 

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6929.JPG

IMG_6933.JPG

• Upvote 7

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

Catch and release is a good practice when everyone has plenty of food but here that is a rare event unless too far from shore to keep that amount of flesh fresh.

We always release Marlin and other large fish above 100kg unless they arrive at the boat without chance of revival.

Here people love to eat the head and flesh closest to  the bone so nothing is wasted.

No yellow fin tuna is ever released as it  is such prime eating.

We also catch Mahimahi or Dorado, Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel, Giant Trevally and other tunas all trolling lures.

• Upvote 2

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

2 hours ago, fiji jim said:

Catch and release is a good practice when everyone has plenty of food but here that is a rare event unless too far from shore to keep that amount of flesh fresh.

We always release Marlin and other large fish above 100kg unless they arrive at the boat without chance of revival.

Here people love to eat the head and flesh closest to  the bone so nothing is wasted.

No yellow fin tuna is ever released as it  is such prime eating.

We also catch Mahimahi or Dorado, Wahoo, Spanish Mackerel, Giant Trevally and other tunas all trolling lures.

That is some great big game fishing there! I wish I could just go out and catch fish like that. I would bring fish home for sure! Still, you gotta love your local fish right?

In the Netherlands we have many, but small waters and about 2 million registered recreative anglers. Which is a lot for a country of our size. If we would all cook & eat our catches there would be not much fish left. We have very strict regulations about how many fish and at what size they are allowed to be taken home. We have little choice but to c&r.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Here in Florida there are many many many ever changing rules regarding taking certain species of fish. Off shore it gets more confusing if you enter federal waters! The Fish Rules app is the only way I can keep up!

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

• 1 month later...

These days I mainly concentrate on catching Jewfish (Mulloway), although Snapper, Spangled Emperor or Teraglin are often a by catch.    A couple of these Jewies went 23kg (50lb)  

PBA0pkc.jpg

s0tmWHk.jpg

JqsdDxd.jpg

ZLPS1Gl.jpg

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Kai said:

As long as you can see the chase and the bite! Gets the adrenalin flowing.

It's a close second to using a fly rod. I have a small one I used for fresh water but I need to get a big fly rod that holds more line for salt water fishing, they're hard to find around here. I've never heard of Zander, looks cool though! 

On 8/21/2017, 6:02:52, steve99 said:

These days I mainly concentrate on catching Jewfish (Mulloway), although Snapper, Spangled Emperor or Teraglin are often a by catch.    A couple of these Jewies went 23kg (50lb)  

PBA0pkc.jpg

s0tmWHk.jpg

JqsdDxd.jpg

ZLPS1Gl.jpg

Nice, I really miss offshore fishing.  I sold my ocean going rig a while back.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, topwater said:

It's a close second to using a fly rod. I have a small one I used for fresh water but I need to get a big fly rod that holds more line for salt water fishing, they're hard to find around here. I've never heard of Zander, looks cool though! 

Yeah I used to fish topwaters like little sammy's and gunfish for perch and pike in the summer. The action you get can be amazing. If only we had largemouth here...

But ever since I bought a flyrod and got my first pikebite I got hooked.

The zander (Stizostedion lucioperca) is closely related to the American walleye but zander gets bigger. I catch them in the canals of the center of Amsterdam, and good size too.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Every year Texas City has a fishing tournament, mostly local guys enter, it's no big deal. The winner of the offshore open catagory this year broke the Texas state record for hammerhead sharks, the fish weighed over 1,000 lb. They say sharks are endangered overall.  In the Texas Gulf, they seem to be doing well.  In some places you can't catch game fish because the sharks take every bait before anything else has a chance, and unhooking them in a small boat in large seas gets old fast. Here's a pic of the winner.

IMG_0109.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Today I caught my first official autumn pike. Had to walk some kilometres to find those pike hiding somewhere in the water vegetation. They weren't really hunting so I had to irritate them, using brightly colored streamers and retrieving them fast.

20171003_180834.thumb.jpg.904865ed443dfe

Right there, left of the water lillies the water just exploded as a metre+ fish went for the green/pink tubefly and missed it. I was shaking with adrenalin, the attack was just brutal and right in front of me!

Second cast... utter concentration...will it go for it again? ...it did and I was able to set the barbles hook properly. The pond went upside down, little baitfish got airborne, water vegetion got ripped out of the bottom and a duck that was just a littlebit too close to the action nearly got a heart attack.

Finally I kneeled down and took the fish with one hand in the gill and laid it down on the wet grass. It was larger than it looked when I was still fighting it. Quick picture and back into it's element...

20171003_180321.thumb.jpg.786364f489adc2

A very nice Amsterdam suburb pike to catch another day!

• Upvote 6

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

We have an annual million dollar fish competition that runs from October to February. There's 100 tagged Barramundi, Lates calcarifer, released around the waters of the Top End worth $10,000 each to whoever catches them and brings the tag in. There's also one Barramundi released with a million dollar tag on it.

It sort of adds another level of enjoyment to recreational fishing.

http://www.milliondollarfish.com.au/

Went for a fish last night and managed to get three Mulloway (Jewfish) and lost three as well (pulled the hooks)  That's fishing speak for "got off"

iZwByMN.jpg

wV5VzN4.jpg

uRIF4w3.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, flyfishing from a kayak is something that I'll have to get used to. It's not easy trying to cast while drifting on the breeze and current and keep the kayak positioned at the same time. I've been struggling and clumsy but still managed to get three awesome surface-bites and one pike in the boat.

20171024_082404.thumb.jpg.b9afa67d04fe17

Cheers,

Kai

• Upvote 4

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

We don't fly fish, but we do love us some fishin'! We do saltwater (more often) and freshwater. I'll share some of our more interesting catches. Here are a couple of my largest Spanish mackerels.

The last pic is my friend demonstrating that sometimes the dolphins catch your catch and leave you with simply a head - Spanish mackerel head. :lol:

11181873_10205903522621300_1741846328531172178_n.jpg

4737402706_5ac9563c6c_z.jpg

7245309326_f166d63480_z.jpg

• Upvote 4

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

My one and only snook :hmm:

Pufferfish! :wub:

Polka-dotted batfish! :bemused:

Spadefish ^_^

4983836191_54eb860e27_z.jpg

5176700254_90086e8382_z.jpg

4981394120_5e3aa2179a_z.jpg

4927548221_57f82e8912_z.jpg

• Upvote 4

Pompano, blue runner, Spanish mackerel.

Redfish :wub:

Inshore lizardfish

Gulf flounder

4719137336_7c86938ba4_z.jpg

4928128868_99c831e688_z.jpg

5176098509_a6392de164_z.jpg

5698735579_ac3e11df22_z.jpg

• Upvote 4

I thought I had a big one! Nope, just barnacle-encrusted sunglasses :indifferent:

Sometimes we go out on the research boats. Here we're catching sharks in the estuaries. We caught baby bull sharks and bonnethead sharks that night. :wub:

Surf fishin' with the Mister :wub:

4694747055_b961d22caf_z.jpg

4906121176_01345f7dd8_z.jpg

296045_10200879763990474_284398302_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017, 8:24:42, topwater said:

Every year Texas City has a fishing tournament, mostly local guys enter, it's no big deal. The winner of the offshore open catagory this year broke the Texas state record for hammerhead sharks, the fish weighed over 1,000 lb. They say sharks are endangered overall.  In the Texas Gulf, they seem to be doing well.  In some places you can't catch game fish because the sharks take every bait before anything else has a chance, and unhooking them in a small boat in large seas gets old fast. Here's a pic of the winner.

IMG_0109.JPG

Why did they kill it? Did they use the meat?

11 hours ago, Missi said:

Why did they kill it? Did they use the meat?

Killing big sharks is very controversial, even among the guys that specialize in it (I don’t). In the old days, people would keep every shark they caught. Now, no one brings in a dead shark unless it’s possibly state record huge, or tournament winning big. Its  99% catch and release. I think they only weighed in like 5 sharks this year, no serious angler brings one in unless it’s an epic catch. Plenty of local PETA types have been bitching about the shark tournament thing for years, imho, we have more than enough huge bulls, tigers, and hammerheads to last.  I worry more about red snapper populations as that fishery is 100% catch and chew. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Kingfish. Me soaking wet from running in 5ft seas the entire way back!

CAM02678.jpg

How big is your boat?  I won’t leave the dock with anything more than 1-2 foot seas. 5 foot seas, no way. 

Edited by topwater

It was supposed to be 2 to 3 foot seas, and only at 3 for a couple of hours! Lies! Also, fish biting so stayed longer than should have!

Aquasport 245 Explorer.  Actually 26ft to the pulpit. Deep vee,  but very wet ride. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

11 hours ago, topwater said:

Killing big sharks is very controversial, even among the guys that specialize in it (I don’t). In the old days, people would keep every shark they caught. Now, no one brings in a dead shark unless it’s possibly state record huge, or tournament winning big. Its  99% catch and release. I think they only weighed in like 5 sharks this year, no serious angler brings one in unless it’s an epic catch. Plenty of local PETA types have been bitching about the shark tournament thing for years, imho, we have more than enough huge bulls, tigers, and hammerheads to last.  I worry more about red snapper populations as that fishery is 100% catch and chew. 

Ew, PETA :hmm: I was just curious what they do with the shark after it is weighed. Is it disposed of? I'm definitely not against catch and keep if the species' population is doing well, it's just a bummer to think of such a majestic animal being wasted.

• Upvote 2