IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Robusta

Rothbardian1

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I live in a little town in southeast Georgia called Nahunta. It's about 30 minutes from the Atlantic and about 30 minutes from the Georgia/Florida line. 

I had a question about the small crown growth on a robusta I bought from a nursery. They got a few of them from a guy who was just getting rid of them. 

Anyway, they didn't have any growth on top. And, neither one of them had much of a rootball. They were in pretty bad condition. I believe they've been suffering from malnutrition. And, I think the leaves were burnt off from the previous winter's freeze (the guy lived about 69 miles up the road, and I believe they get harder freezes). 

One of them is actually budding out nicely. Unfortunately, the other one has a very small crown. Any advice? 

I will try to post a picture later when I'm back home. 

You can see the upper trunk has formed pencil top, but the one closest to the house is actually spreading out. The other one has plenty of fronds, but they're not branching out at all. 

Palm 2.jpg

Palm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Welcome to PalmTalk!  I've seen a washingtonia palm like this in Corpus Christi, TX.  I would just be guessing, but I'd say it's having trouble regrowing roots after an aggressive transplant.  It may take some TLC to get it going again, what do y'all think?  Whoever gives the best advice gets a big bowl of Brunswick stew!

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I'm no expert but I'd swear to molasses treatments...not so much to benefit the palm directly but indirectly by feeding the bacteria in the soil which then makes for a healthier environment for the roots image.thumb.jpg.0c128dc75fcfbadcf6460c58over time. I just buy molasses at the grocery store and add about 1/4 cup to a 2 gallon watering can...stir well...it's very dense and heavy and needs some help dissolving into the water...anyway, as a soil conditioner, it works great...getting ready to apply a little molasses tonic now...I do this about once a month...one 2 gal. Dose per baby...I mean Palm...most proud if this baby. Several years of supplemental molasses seems to have converted red clay into a softer more absorbent soil...decaying pine needles help, too.

They look like fresh dug palms that haven't had the best irrigation since they were dug.   We regenerate about 100 washingtonia a year and if you fresh dig one with a tiny rootball, don't water it really well and put it out in strong sun it will look exactly like the first picture.  As long as they are out in open sun they will be much slower to produce new fronds and is why we regenerate all of ours in heavy shade from now on.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it has thundersormed everyday here for the past 2 months. And before that, I watered them every other day. 

I've seen a few planted that seem to be stuck in this stage: not much trunk growth and very small crowns. I was just hoping this is something temporary and didn't look the trees I've seen permanently stuck in this stage. 

So far, I've made sure it has had plenty of water, not too much, but just enough to ease the transplant shock. I fertilized both trees with Scott's slow release 8-4-8 after three month period. I also added some Vigoro 12-6-12 (fast release) about a month after I gave it the Scott's (last month). 

The other palm is growing well. And, even the palm with the small crown is producing fronds, as much as the other one. But, they aren't stretching out, resulting in a small crown. 

Edited by Rothbardian1