IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dead palm leaf disposal

DoomsDave

I have a few (a lot of) palms and the dead leaves are are a pain.

In the winter the fire glows; dried palm leaves make great kindling.

Summer, not so much. 130 FF in the house is too hot.

hmm

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dumping in the trash is doable but long term bulky trash gets expensive.  And, then you pay to bring in organic material? Duh as we say here.

Sowhat I sometimes do is bury dead palm leaves under wood chip mulch.

When it's warm in spring and summer and fall and even in winter dead palm leaves decay faster than your morals.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So I dumped palm leaves on the ground and dusted them with wood ashes and kitty poop.

And buried them under wood chips.

And watered a lot.

IMG_2439.thumb.JPG.5851c80b7d9c34345bd5dIMG_2440.thumb.JPG.5f9bc51fd4704517d9f7eIMG_2441.thumb.JPG.90b808f35677c2832e7a0

• Upvote 2

And a few months later (April to July) they've rotted down.

From about 18" 35 cm down to an inch 2.5 cm.

IMG_2724.thumb.JPG.46687b5bfa71821c013b0IMG_2725.thumb.JPG.34f440f0b2a2a83852003

• Upvote 2

This time of year here produces huge amounts of fallen fronds, some of them damaging understorey plants. But you can't protect everything if you like having a lot of palms. Coconut fronds are among the worst, because of their size and weight. I have a policy that no organic matter leaves my place, other than me and other animals. Although, dead animals don't either, but don't know whether that's going to apply to me (shades of Soylent Green, LOL).

In some places I can just lay down the smaller fronds and let them become covered with leaf litter. Some can be broken up easily by hand and are also just left on the ground. Larger fronds are just piled up until I get time to cut them up into smaller pieces and laid out as mulch (very course mulch). That's done with a chainsaw, pieces from 100mm to 250mm long. Contemplated getting a mulcher years ago but a neighbour had one, 5 HP. It was incredibly noisy, couldn't handle larger fronds, and too expensive for me. His mulch was pretty fine but I don't care if mine is chunky, it all rots down.

Very efficient process you have there Dave. We use to remove the leaflets from the rachis/petiole and use that as mulch. The petioles/rachis we would cut into three foot long pieces and either use them in bonfires or throw them away.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I have a few (a lot of) palms and the dead leaves are are a pain.

In the winter the fire glows; dried palm leaves make great kindling.

Summer, not so much. 130 FF in the house is too hot.

hmm

They make good kindling outside, too.  The live oaks tend to shed some dead wood about the same time, and there are always dead banana leaves to add to the mix.  Time for a bonfire and some hot dogs :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

There are limits to this, of course.

You need a lot of space so you'll have places to mulch to pile over the dead leaves. Most of the jungle palms seem to love it when you mulch around them; the deserty ones not so much. The key to making the decay process work is to keep the leaves and mulch wet. Heavy water restrictions won't help, either.

But, if you can do that, even big leaves like Archies and Royal Butch can be dealt with this way.

• Upvote 1

Most of the dead stuff goes into the green waste bins to be recycled.

Just not by me.

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Most of the dead stuff goes into the green waste bins to be recycled.

Just not by me.

How many greenies do you have? How many do you fill regularly?

Just curious . . .

24 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

How many greenies do you have? How many do you fill regularly?

Just curious . . .

I have 2 large greenies.

At this time of year, they get filled weekly. When we get into winter, it slows down.

Very inventive but a lot of work. Glad I have weekly vegetative waste pickup included in my trash fee. Without it I'd be buried in shed and cut palm fronds. Cape Coral takes a dim view of outdoor burning, esp during dry season.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

At the beach the vast majority of my palm waste is from Cocos (60 + trees) . They do not decompose very well so we burn them when they are dried out,but even then the petioles are still intact. I eventually have to pay to have it all hauled away every month ( a small mountain). One of the negative aspects of a palm focused garden.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

49 minutes ago, scottgt said:

At the beach the vast majority of my palm waste is from Cocos (60 + trees) . They do not decompose very well so we burn them when they are dried out,but even then the petioles are still intact. I eventually have to pay to have it all hauled away every month ( a small mountain). One of the negative aspects of a palm focused garden.

THey don't just rot?

Please explain.

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

THey don't just rot?

Please explain.

No, the Cocos especially . It is not wet enough to cause decomposition . Imagine 60 mature Cocos dropping one frond every 3 weeks plus all the spent flower spathes and nuts . It's biomass overload.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

4 hours ago, scottgt said:

No, the Cocos especially . It is not wet enough to cause decomposition . Imagine 60 mature Cocos dropping one frond every 3 weeks plus all the spent flower spathes and nuts . It's biomass overload.

Okay.

Even when it rains, it all drains; the sandy soil holds nothing. Maybe pure sand.

5 hours ago, scottgt said:

In our srilankan climate, all leaves even from Cocos disappear within 4 months, just naturally.
But when we collect all dead leaves, we get a big pile which soon becomes a nice compost, I just have to care about vipers making their nest there !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

8 hours ago, scottgt said:
3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Okay.

Even when it rains, it all drains; the sandy soil holds nothing. Maybe pure sand.

Exactly, our sand is black volcanic sand and has little water retention value. 

3 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

In our srilankan climate, all leaves even from Cocos disappear within 4 months, just naturally.
But when we collect all dead leaves, we get a big pile which soon becomes a nice compost, I just have to care about vipers making their nest there !

wonder how the snakes would taste curried?

I don't know what I would do if I weren't allowed to burn yard waste. The county collects yard waste bi weekly, but they have restrictions (bundling, nothing more than 4 feet long, etc.) that is really a PITA -- and I have far too much yard wast to comply with such laborious restrictions.  Earlier this late spring we had a county-wide burn ban due to the drought. But June brought the rainy season, dumping lots of rain and eliminating the drought. However, during the course of 4-5 weeks (during the burn ban) I accumulated a huge pile of dead palm fronds, limbs, etc. I finally got everything burned and reduced to a big pile of ash. Some of the ash I spread around palms and plantings to bring up the pH of the soil, as the soil here is very acidic. The rest of the ash I can't use I dump along the edge of my property and a creek.

Mad about palms

In sandy soil with high drainage, laying leaves down on root areas deprives the roots of rain water, especially big fan leaves.  My yard guys that cut the grass take them away at this time.  Yeah we have yard waste pickup but the restrictions of chopping and bunding as walt described pretty much make a ton of work out of it.  Most of my palms are mature, and with big fans like bismarkia, sabal domingensis and copernicia dropping 10+ leaves a year each its getting to be a lot of work.  My royals @ about 35' overall also drop some big leaves too.  I do really appreciate the self shedding palms at this time as they do not require climbing a ladder with a saw to take down the leaves.  My livistona decora have 8'+ clear trunk and trimming them is getting to be a hazard.  With 60 plus mature palms its getting to be a pain to even drag leaves to the curb let alone chopping them up and bundling them in the heat.   Things grow fast here in florida, and as they grow in I sometimes think " what have I done"?  I have learned a lesson,that slow growing palms are good...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank