IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina in PALMS publication

colin Peters

Just got the new publication,  and there is a really great write up on Tahina. Sounds like the locals are protecting the small group of palms, but 

most importantly they see the benefit of them and what they can do for their small community. The seed sales have helped to refurbish the

school etc. I am proud to say I bought some of the seed from Toby at RPS and feel I did my small bit to help the local people and of course to

conserve the beautiful new discovery. 

aloha

• Upvote 1

From seed quite a few years back, roots are busting out the bottom of the 25 gallon pot. Going to take to Lyon arboretum

where it will have lots of room to grow, and hopefully other people will enjoy its uniqueness.

aloha

IMG_0533.jpg

• Upvote 4

If the seed is ever offered again at RPS, I plan on buying some, what a joy to get one to grow, also to see the benefit. and change the appreciation of the local

community for palms in Madagasgar. Hopefully they will see the beauty of what their island has and help to protect the rare species, We have super rare palms here

and I hope they don't go extinct 

aloha

• Upvote 3

Wow that is a beauty!

I too enjoyed the article in PALMS. 

Congratulations on your beautiful tree and when I eventually get to Hawaii I hope to see it happily growing in the arboretum!

So very nice of you to make the donation.

Cindy Adair

I agree Colin, the article was heartening and finding a second population was good news.

Good on you for the donation, it will grow into quite the specimen palm.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tahina is a terrific palm, and everyone growing one should be pretty thrilled.  No telling how long before the next seed becomes available. 

This Tahina is from the original seed batch collected and sold by RPS, germinated by Bo-Göran Lundkvist.  Probably the same batch as yours, Colin.

Planted from a 5-gal pot July 2012 I think it was? It is easily more than twice my height now, putting it in the 11-12 ft. range.

Tahina07JUL2017DSC_0038.thumb.jpg.175bdd 

From this angle it looks kind of lopsided.

Tahina7JUL2017DSC_0033.thumb.jpg.fa3d995

This smaller one may be from the same seed batch, but sat in a pot much longer -- but don't quote me on that. My memory of the acquisition is  little sketchy. Planted December 2015.  Yellow color is begging for more fertilizer -- very demanding of fert in this volcanic soil.

BretTahina7JUL2017DSC_0043.thumb.jpg.ce0

If Lyon Arboretum doesn't have a Tahina yet, your gift will be a huge bonus for them.  It will be great for more people to see this fantastic palm.

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Tim, Cindy and Kim. Great pictures Kim.

This is what collecting palms is all about. Someday one of ours will seed, and we will share with the world, or or grandchildren will !!, The palms

of Madagasgar need to be conserved and in instances like these the local population see the benefit and reap its reward and joy.

Someday I am going to Madagasgar.

aloha

Colin

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, colin Peters said:

Thanks Tim, Cindy and Kim. Great pictures Kim.

This is what collecting palms is all about. Someday one of ours will seed, and we will share with the world, or or grandchildren will !!, The palms

of Madagasgar need to be conserved and in instances like these the local population see the benefit and reap its reward and joy.

Someday I am going to Madagasgar.

aloha

Colin

You' re right Colin,

Besides; someday I am going to Hawaii

Ayubowan

Philippe

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Phillippe:

Look me up if you ever do. Lots of the best  arboretums on the planet, to explore and if you are up for it, almost extinct Pritchardia in native habitat.

With much aloha Colin

1 hour ago, colin Peters said:

Phillippe:

Look me up if you ever do. Lots of the best  arboretums on the planet, to explore and if you are up for it, almost extinct Pritchardia in native habitat.

With much aloha Colin

And, from what I remember since I am visiting Palmtalk ;  lots of wonderful palm people I discussed with here on PT since some years !

You , all Hawaiian palm collectors are welcome in Sri Lanka, even if there is much poorer collections, but you can see elephants and Loxococcus in  habitat, if no Pritchardia !

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Sorry, didn't respond earlier to this report of Hawaiian Tahinas. I also obtained seeds (10) from the original RPS offer, and got seven plants out of it. Six are in the ground and the seventh I turned over to a palm colleague on the island. Here are front and side views of the largest, orange 5-gal bucket for scale:

59628ab91a1b1_Tahinaspectabilis_frontvie

59628abca2010_Tahinaspectabilis_sideview

• Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Mike and Kim,

Seeing your plants, no doubt Tahina spectabilis is happy growing in Hawaii (who wouldn't ?)
As I said, someday I am coming to Hawaii !

Philippe

Wow Mike 7 out of 10, thats great odds. Yours looks amazing thanks for sharing.

aloha