IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated palm from PR sale

Cindy Adair

I used to say that variegated plants held minimal appeal for me. And still many just look starved or virused. However now I have a Caryota mitis and a Rhapis excelsa whose patterns I like and this one caught my eye especially since it was the lone palm among a sea of aroids.

DSCN6792.thumb.JPG.08a2bbcfe378594236189

DSCN6794.thumb.JPG.9ff6621e682c6e06ca5c0

DSCN6795.thumb.JPG.7a274c0ee74477940a47e

So I am guessing this is an Areca catechu? which means it should be easy for me to grow, but the seller did not know. What puzzled me is that she had two, nearly identical. I thought these would be random mutations so would look different. Each leaf was pleasantly variegated and she was asking $25 so I took one home.

It turns out she lives not too far away so we plan to visit and I can get more details then.

Do you think the future leaves will keep these stripes? Less or more sun compared with the non variegated version?

Please post any photos you have of this one.

Oh and yes I got 6 seedling Cyrtostachys renda for a total of $20. Maybe I need a forest or will donate some to a future plant group....

DSCN6796.thumb.JPG.ccfabd6aa8ad01ee1e2db

Thanks!

• Upvote 11

Cindy Adair

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas on this variegated palm? It is doing very well in mostly sun so far but soon I want to give it a forever home in the ground somewhere here.

Cindy Adair

Adonidia merrillii

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Oh well, I actually don't have a single one of this species and of course they grow like weeds here.

Hope it keeps the pretty variegation.

Thanks so much Scott! 

I have never grown these myself so have never seen the juvenile leaves.

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

Oh well, I actually don't have a single one of this species and of course they grow like weeds here.

Hope it keeps the pretty variegation.

Thanks so much Scott! 

I have never grown these myself so have never seen the juvenile leaves.

I have 2 variegated adonidia, pics later.

Rio_Grande.gif

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

This variant must be common. Thanks for the photos!

In Sri Lanka ( or in Asia) it's as common as the yellow or golden crownshaft form.

Ornemental cultivar, smaller botanic interest 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

21 hours ago, foxtail said:

I have 2 variegated adonidia, pics later.

5977c5b4d9140_2017-07-2518.21.42.thumb.j

Nice patterns on the petioles too.

5977c5fd46b46_2017-07-2518.21.28.thumb.j

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

Glad to see the variegation on all of these looks attractive and not like a deficiency and seems consistent. Thanks so much for posting and I hope everyone's palms grow well!

Cindy Adair

I too tend to not like variegated forms, but this one I like!  It reminds me a little of variegated ginger which I like very much, but I definitely do not prefer variegated oleanders or hibiscus (and some palms) since natural yellowing of leaves indicates a problem and so the variegated forms of these plants look constantly unhappy to me.  This one is worth it!:rolleyes:

Jon

Jon Sunder