IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dyckia seedlings

Palm crazy

A while ago, I order some dyckia seedling out of Florida. I got 10.  Three are species, and the rest are multi-hybrids, so very different and one of a kind.  Last time I grew dyckia’s in the ground they lasted about six years.  These will go into a nice pot in a few years. Thanks for looking. 

DSC00106.JPG

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

A while ago, I order some dyckia seedling out of Florida. I got 10.  Three are species, and the rest are multi-hybrids, so very different and one of a kind.  Last time I grew dyckia’s in the ground they lasted about six years.  These will go into a nice pot in a few years. Thanks for looking. 

DSC00106.JPG

Pretty cool looking plants. Never heard of them before. Do you have any pictures of the ones you had in the ground? 

11 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Pretty cool looking plants. Never heard of them before. Do you have any pictures of the ones you had in the ground? 

Sorry I don’t have any pictures of them from the past. They were much bigger than these new ones. I got these seedlings online for $22.99 shipping was included. A really good deal. You can’t get them that cheep at any nursery. 

• Upvote 1

Here is the list of the ones I got….

Species/Cultivars included: Dyckia Larry the Chopper 2014 OP hybrid, D. beateae x Encholirium horridum, D. brevifolia Ribeiro do Cocho, D. Silver Star, D. Whit Merrin, D. dawsonii x choristaminea 2014 OP hybrid, D. Spider Witch 2014 OP hybrid, D. Platyphylla hybrid, D. Nickel Silver, D. Red Needle.

• Upvote 1

Here are some dyckia plants, and flowers. I have about 8000, most being my own hybrids.

IMG_20170207_105907.jpg

IMG_20170207_110137.jpg

Cherry Coke.JPG

_20170227_220100.JPG

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, cycadjungle said:

Here are some dyckia plants, and flowers. I have about 8000, most being my own hybrids.

IMG_20170207_105907.jpg

IMG_20170207_110137.jpg

Cherry Coke.JPG

_20170227_220100.JPG

Great looking plants. Those flowers are amazing. Thanks for sharing. 

Very nice. I do like these bromeliads very much.  I have a couple myself. I have an unknown dyckia from Monterrey Bay Nursery - I think it might be either 'San Juan' or 'Sabertooth'. I also have dyckia 'yellow glow' and a couple of other really cool hardy bromeliads - hechtia rosea, and my favorite at the moment...enchotia 'ruby'. 

10 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Jdiaz, is this what your Enchotia ruby looks like…. if so gorgeous color.

Not yet! but it will. I potted it up but I've kept it mostly shaded to get it established so it's reverted to green. I'm going to start exposing it to more sun gradually so that I can get that bright yellow color on it. 

So many beautiful Dyckia species and hybrids, but my problem is that once I get a weed growing in them, they are so dense, it is nearly impossible to get them out.  I stopped putting them in the ground and keep them in pots because it is a little easier to control the weeds, particularly grasses which sprout out of them and ruin the look.  The Entochia has spectacular color.  Another colorful bromeliad is the Orthophytum saxicola, keep it potted again, but much easier to weed around than Dyckia or Puya!  Color depends on sunlight exposure with the O saxicola, but in this old picture it looked great against the lime green trunk of my Clinostigma savoryanum.... speaking of which, one palm I wish I had here in Leucadia as well.

20121013-IMG_0353 Orthophytum bromeliad.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I am enjoying trying these in PR, so far just in pots and care free. Nice photos here that make me want to try more...

Cindy Adair

Nice haul PC. 

Dyckia, and Hetchia are often underrated or overlooked care free and tough plants perfectly suited for any garden. Many do well even here in the Desert if provided some afternoon shade, especially this time of year, and a little extra water. Very attractive to Hummingbirds also. Slowly building a collection and have a few species/ varieties but nothing spectacular.  Will add that, as has been my experience with Dyckia rariflora, seed germinated very easily. Have been told that most other species are simple from seed also. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Nice haul PC. 

Dyckia, and Hetchia are often underrated or overlooked care free and tough plants perfectly suited for any garden. Many do well even here in the Desert if provided some afternoon shade, especially this time of year, and a little extra water. Very attractive to Hummingbirds also. Slowly building a collection and have a few species/ varieties but nothing spectacular.  Will add that, as has been my experience with Dyckia rariflora, seed germinated very easily. Have been told that most other species are simple from seed also. 

Thanks, I really like these little plants, easy to take care of and low maintenance. Good to know about the seed being easy to germinate. There sure are a lot of people selling seed on the internet so they much be easy. I could see them growing in your climate with morning sun afternoon shade. Best part they don’t die after blooming. I remember 12-15 years ago they were not easy to fine, now everyone is growing them, LOL! 

• Upvote 1

I fell in love with Dyckias & Hechtias the first time I saw them at a bromeliad show. I like them much better than the monocarpic "air plants" most people know. They can't tolerate my alkaline calcareous sand so they live in pots. I am partial to the purple, silver/gray & burgundy ones but have many green ones. They love full sun and heat.

BTW, I use leather work gloves to handle them & long hemostats to weed them as well as my agaves & cacti.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

BTW, I use leather work gloves to handle them & long hemostats to weed them as well as my agaves & cacti.

Using hemostats is a good tip!  :greenthumb:  :D

Hemostats seem awkward to me, locking all the time. I found some extra long needle nose pliers that grip even the largest of weeds and good handle for pulling on.

Also, I sell 100s of 3 gallon and 7 gallon Dyckias each year to landscape people, and theme parks. They always want their plants looking good for installation. There are always brown leaves at the base. I found a sickle shaped tool that has a serrated blade that you can get under the good leaves and easily remove the lower brown leaves. It is a Chinese tool I found at the Selby Gardens garden sale.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I fell in love with Dyckias & Hechtias the first time I saw them at a bromeliad show. I like them much better than the monocarpic "air plants" most people know. They can't tolerate my alkaline calcareous sand so they live in pots. I am partial to the purple, silver/gray & burgundy ones but have many green ones. They love full sun and heat.

4 minutes ago, cycadjungle said:

Hemostats seem awkward to me, locking all the time. I found some extra long needle nose pliers that grip even the largest of weeds and good handle for pulling on.

Also, I sell 100s of 3 gallon and 7 gallon Dyckias each year to landscape people, and theme parks. They always want their plants looking good for installation. There are always brown leaves at the base. I found a sickle shaped tool that has a serrated blade that you can get under the good leaves and easily remove the lower brown leaves. It is a Chinese tool I found at the Selby Gardens garden sale.

I'll have to try out the hemostats and pliers.  My leather gloves end up with broken off barbs in them, which can provide a little "excitement" when they work their way through later.  

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

I'll have to try out the hemostats and pliers.  My leather gloves end up with broken off barbs in them, which can provide a little "excitement" when they work their way through later.  

Agree with using Hemostats, found that metal feeding tongs ( used for feeding Reptiles, etc) work well when weeding anything spiny at the house or at work. Had to toss a pricy pair of welding gloves given to me after moving around a bunch of Opuntia and other cacti at the nursery. Worked great when loading Ocotillo for customers though.

Yea, I use long welding gloves when I split up huge clumps of the bigger ones like Cherry Cokes and Black Moon. I have a bunch of D. goehringii. Those have some serious hooks. Look those up. Since I love spiny cycads, you gotta love these!! 

• Upvote 1

Non-locking hemostats exist but long ones are hard to find. I found the made-in-China locking hemostats often lock up but a few years ago I bought a much sturdier pair at a yard sale that don't lock up (I suspect they were made in the USA back in the day). These have become my go-to hemostat.

Meg

Florida

Here is my enchotia. like i said, no color, but now that i think it's rooted in well, I'll begin exposing it to more direct sun. 

20170708_123920.thumb.jpg.7a50ab1e93313d

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2017, 9:52:57, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree with using Hemostats, found that metal feeding tongs ( used for feeding Reptiles, etc) work well when weeding anything spiny at the house or at work.

Will have to try one of the many alternatives suggested, but the grass tends to break off leaving the roots to come right back.

20170709-104A6985.jpg

DSCN6829.thumb.JPG.80057b5fa7d3a444711c9

No care at all given to this one in the couple of years I have had it. Not sure it could tolerate life in the ground in the rainy season in PR but fine on a balcony.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy when I grew mine in the ground I had them under neath some tall cordlyines that were multi trunk and it kept them very dry. But my soil is naturally fast draining, no clay. 

On July 8, 2017 6:36:39 AM, cycadjungle said:

Yea, I use long welding gloves when I split up huge clumps of the bigger ones like Cherry Cokes and Black Moon. I have a bunch of D. goehringii. Those have some serious hooks. Look those up. Since I love spiny cycads, you gotta love these!! 

Cherry coke and some of the other dark color ones are my favorites too.  The spines on D. goehringii look deadly, LOL! 

12 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

DSCN6829.thumb.JPG.80057b5fa7d3a444711c9

No care at all given to this one in the couple of years I have had it. Not sure it could tolerate life in the ground in the rainy season in PR but fine on a balcony.

Agree with PC,  faster draining soil is definately a plus for them in the ground. Once yours get larger, thiking you could tuck " trial"  offsets in any cracks/ crevices between larger rocks there and see how they take the rainy season. Could swear id heard a few times that there were a few species that actually prefer extra moisture to look their best? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Cherry coke and some of the other dark color ones are my favorites too.  The spines on D. goehringii look deadly, LOL! 

You want extra "deadly" spiny? Try Bromelia pinguin.. love it, and hate it, lol.  Add in a row of any Opuntia species, or Jumping Cholla  and you probably have the most effective barrier possible..  Hechtia argentea, and Dyckia delicata look pretty intimidating also.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

You want extra "deadly" spiny? Try Bromelia pinguin.. love it, and hate it, lol.  Add in a row of any Opuntia species, or Jumping Cholla  and you probably have the most effective barrier possible..  Hechtia argentea, and Dyckia delicata look pretty intimidating also.

All of those sound beautiful but deadly if you run into them, LOL! Next year I plan on getting more mature dyckia and hechtia mail order. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

I was so impress with enchotia ‘ruby I got one too this week…. not much to look at this year since I just potted it up. One gallons size, sorry bad photo.  I also have gone from 0 to 44 dyckia plants in one month. LOL! Really happy about these little guys. 40 of them all came from one person here on Palm Talk. LOL! 

DSC00050.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Here is an update of the Dyckia seedlings I got last year. Their starting to get more color and will be ready to pot up next spring in their community pots. Lots of great looking hybrids. 

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Will a red dyckia, like Dyckia "Cherry Coke" aka "Cherry Cola", lose its colour in deep shade?  Will it simply die without sun? 

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

Will a red dyckia, like Dyckia "Cherry Coke" aka "Cherry Cola", lose its colour in deep shade?  Will it simply die without sun? 

Dyckias are sun lovers. Cherry Coke will fade to green if grown in shade. The more intense the sun the richer the colors. Dyckias love heat and sun. My Dyckias are intensely colored most of the year but their colors fade during the shorter days of winter even if they are kept in sun. The winter sunshine is too weak. Dyckias grown in shade only may survive but probably will be scraggly or unsightly. Too much shade and water will cause them to rot.

Earlier this summer I sold off my spare Dyckias because of health and time issues but kept ~100 mother plants, including some Hechtias. 

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

On 9/16/2018, 2:41:48, PalmatierMeg said:

Dyckias are sun lovers. Cherry Coke will fade to green if grown in shade. The more intense the sun the richer the colors. Dyckias love heat and sun. My Dyckias are intensely colored most of the year but their colors fade during the shorter days of winter even if they are kept in sun. The winter sunshine is too weak. Dyckias grown in shade only may survive but probably will be scraggly or unsightly. Too much shade and water will cause them to rot.

Earlier this summer I sold off my spare Dyckias because of health and time issues but kept ~100 mother plants, including some Hechtias. 

Meg If you feel incline do post some pictures of your dyckia's. I'd love to see what they look like. ( but if you can't that's ok too.)  I was one of your customers on eBay two years ago and I think I got like 40 seedlings from you. They are all doing good and are real gems to look at. Thanks for selling some of them.  You have a great collection and so many different types. 

Edited by Palm crazy

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Meg If you feel incline do post some pictures of your dyckia's. I'd love to see what they look like. ( but if you can't that's ok too.)  I was one of your customers on eBay two years ago and I think I got like 40 seedlings from you. They are all doing good and are real gems to look at. Thanks for selling some of them.  You have a great collection and so many different types. 

I'll take some photos in the next few days. Most of them are at peak color and will start fading to green in coming weeks. I may still remove pups for future sale when I get around to repotting many of them over the winter. I also have some monster Hechtias & Dyckias that will be a struggle to up-pot. Finding & affording xlg pots are also a struggle.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Very good salt tolerance and thus has potential for use in coastal areas.

For me though, too much armament! :blink:

In fact, I obtained some in pots about 10 years ago and they are still sitting here - very full and enlarged now, of course.

I've always had a mental road block on plantings things that have armament.

Sometimes it's worth the potential carnage - such as Robos and Canarys.

I've learned to enjoy stuff like this when they are planted in other people's properties! :lol:

Here's some Dyckia brevifolia in the dunes right by the ocean here.....flowers are dead when I shot the pics, so not the greatest pics but you get the idea.

IMG_1755.thumb.JPG.3f3bc4bf870b3d0c338ec

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.609f4d73b26d93f6a9295

Meg here are a couple of your Dyckias seedling I got from you last year.  This red one was called something Dyckia brown form... can't find the tag. The silver one next to it is D. platy x shining star. 

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Some of my other Dyckia in bloom back in July and the bright silver one I got from you is called... D. silver superstar hyb. 

I can't wait till next spring to pot up the smaller ones in community pots. 

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

• Upvote 1

Your plants are doing very well for you. Might the little reddish Dyckia be D. fosteriana Brown Form or a hybrid thereof?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

30 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Your plants are doing very well for you. Might the little reddish Dyckia be D. fosteriana Brown Form or a hybrid thereof?

Yes, that is it... thank you very much!  Looking at the plant now (today) and from when the picture was taken they have really grown.