IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Super Silver

Jdiaz31089

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2017, 5:26:40, Hillizard said:

JDiaz: You'll likely see pictures of more mature specimens of Brahea sp. 'Super Silver' from others, but this is mine here in Sacto that started out quite small years ago in a liner. It's been planted in my palm berm for about 1.5 years. Between the cold and hot weather this year, it's taken a few hits, but growth now seems to be accelerating. I assume it will need to grow larger before the leaves take on a bluish tint. For that, my Sabal uresana nearby doesn't disappoint, even at its young age! 

Brahea_sp-SuperSilver.jpg

Even though it was a relatively mild winter here in NorCal, I had a spear pull on my Brahea 'Super Silver' in early spring, which was a surprise. But to my relief a new leaf is already emerging. Now I'm hoping to see some blue leaf coloration later this year. :huh:

SuperSilver.png

• Upvote 3

I know I sound like a broken record but I don't understand how a juvenile plant can burn and loose the spear with a 9B winter and then 4 years later becomes a zone 7B palm... 

Super silvers are the most cold hardy trunking Brahea period.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I know I sound like a broken record but I don't understand how a juvenile plant can burn and loose the spear with a 9B winter and then 4 years later becomes a zone 7B palm... 

It's a mystery to me too! Perhaps what I have was mislabeled when I bought it years ago in SoCal and isn't actually a 'super silver' and is a less cold-hardy Brahea? And of course, there are different temperature tolerances among individual palms of the same species. Or maybe I have a microclimate cold spot where I planted it? I'm just glad it survived. :bemused:

35 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Zone 9 plus its in my green house, i get almost universal spear pull every year which almost all come back, their 3-4 yrs old. I'm just hoping they can take my winter when big, im highly doubting their even a zone 8 ever? I have puebla high altitude towns on my weather and it doesn't get cold at 6000 ft. ??? Where is there an outdoor SS where it frosts or light snow in the U.S. ??

Our Super Silver saw 8F this year and only had 50% burn and every other Brahea totally defoliated.  My 1G's SS's all spear pulled, some died inside a cold frame at a frostless 22F and half my small 5G plants spear pulled in another house at 23F. 

Thats very hopeful and relieves some stress. How much trunk and old is yours when u put it out?  And when it took 8*.  Ive never seen colder than 22f but very wet winters, what size / age do u think i can put it in the ground w those conditions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I ordered sprouted seeds of Brahea super silver and received them today. What surprised me is the size of the seed they are growing from, it is really small for a Brahea. Do you think it is legit super silver or the seller sent me something else?

20180511_122759.thumb.jpg.18fa76c2b77c87

20180511_122810.thumb.jpg.e48115a9fca41a

• Upvote 3

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

On 1/9/2018, 9:00:09, Stevetoad said:

Nitida and super silver look a lot alike when young. Once they get about 4 foot super silver should be silver on top and bottom. Nitida will always stay dark green with some silver on top. I do feel that super silver would be a good try in humid south Florida though. Last summer was very humid in my area and my brandegeei showed some funk on the new growth and I lost my biggest parajubea (about 18foot). Super sile

20 hours ago, Grasswing said:

Hi everyone,

I ordered sprouted seeds of Brahea super silver and received them today. What surprised me is the size of the seed they are growing from, it is really small for a Brahea. Do you think it is legit super silver or the seller sent me something else?

Their similar to washys, size n look

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, coops 3214 said:

Mine is finally starting to turn blue anyone got any idea on how big these things will get whos got the biggest 1 out there??

I think they will be a thinner trunk and smaller crown than armada. Maybe more like B.  edulis. Mine has a pretty small crown even getting only morning sun. 

F240511D-EDE9-4051-BE56-F32CBE5851B1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

32 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

I think they will be a thinner trunk and smaller crown than armada. Maybe more like B.  edulis. Mine has a pretty small crown even getting only morning sun. 

I love that you take these photos to track growth of your palms and your kiddo. Thanks for the update on Super Silver. it's a spectacular palm. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018, 3:36:40, Grasswing said:

Hi everyone,

I think they're legit.

Some Braheas are small-seeded. Dulcis is another, and a great one to have, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

How old is this 1??

On 2/13/2018, 10:45:25, Josue Diaz said:

Dave mine's catching up to yours :P Not as blue yet

Screenshot_20180213-104236.thumb.jpg.a56

It’s gonna start turning any day now.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I’ve grown super silver from seed in three cities of TX: Dallas, Austin and San Marcos. In all three places, small plants have been cold tender and very susceptible to spear pull and defoliation- more so than b. armata.  Even quick dips to 18*-19* have defoliated them, although they’ve provided robust regrowth in the spring.  All had green leaves and have gradually changed to slightly glaucous, then silver w/ age and size- similar to b. decumbens. A beautiful palm that seems to gain hardiness w/ age and size. 

• Upvote 2

18 or 19 F?

Run screaming down the street!

22 hours ago, coops 3214 said:

How old is this 1??

If I remember right I planted this in 2012 as an average one gallon 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

On 25. 12. 2018., Stevetoad said:

What a beauty...this is mine, the biggest one...also bought as nitida..survived 3 days down to 21f...

20181226_171401.jpg

www.mediterraneannature.com

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was excited to finally see a shift in color with its newer fronds

20190429_135714.jpg

Screenshot_20190429-140010_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I was excited to finally see a shift in color with its newer fronds

20190429_135714.jpg

Screenshot_20190429-140010_Gallery.jpg

this stage is fun. every leaf will be a little more silver than the last.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 2 years later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:01 AM, Marius said:

It appears that my Palm purchased as B clara is Super Silver. It has no petiole spines. Any thoughts please? 

CA9DDD29-CFFC-40DE-87ED-CD7669CE6496.jpeg

You are lucky (expletive)!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

just found this thread - awesome images of a spectacular species! 

I somehow got aware of this palm probably a year ago and had ordered a few seeds, I am glad to have now some young plants like 

this one...

brahea01.thumb.jpg.973fc4dc8f59f49ff51d70fe66621d46.jpg

They are already sticking out with their silverish straps - next spring I will "unleash" the first one into the garden... 

I hope it will do well.

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

just found this thread - awesome images of a spectacular species! 

I somehow got aware of this palm probably a year ago and had ordered a few seeds, I am glad to have now some young plants like 

this one...

brahea01.thumb.jpg.973fc4dc8f59f49ff51d70fe66621d46.jpg

They are already sticking out with their silverish straps - next spring I will "unleash" the first one into the garden... 

I hope it will do well.

Lars

I’ve always known B ‘super silver’ to go palmate well before turning blue/silver. Any chance you’ve got another Brahea? B armata starts out blue/silver pretty much straight away. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’ve always known B ‘super silver’ to go palmate well before turning blue/silver. Any chance you’ve got another Brahea? B armata starts out blue/silver pretty much straight away. 

I see. It might be possible that I got something else then what I had ordered. It was a supplier

via amazon Japan.... 

Thanks for the hint!

Lars

On 7/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, Stevetoad said:

I got one. Fastest brahea I have other than brandy. 

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

Do you think we can get an updated pic, I’m trying to average it’s growth rate, how much trunk growth you think it did this year? Is it seeding yet?

On 12/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Island mnt. said:

Do you think we can get an updated pic, I’m trying to average it’s growth rate, how much trunk growth you think it did this year? Is it seeding yet?

Here an update. The lowest petiole is 7ft. Not sure of the overall height. It’s getting close to the bottom of the crown being taller than my roof. I’m looking forward to letting its crown stay full. It will also get full sun at that point. 

51D967B1-95CC-4B06-B7D9-91614A9C2852.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean