IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Super Silver

Jdiaz31089

It looks like this palm has been available for the better part of a decade now. I'd love to see what they've grown up to be. Do any of you have this palm and care to share a few pictures? 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

It looks like this palm has been available for the better part of a decade now. I'd love to see what they've grown up to be. Do any of you have this palm and care to share a few pictures? 

JDiaz: You'll likely see pictures of more mature specimens of Brahea sp. 'Super Silver' from others, but this is mine here in Sacto that started out quite small years ago in a liner. It's been planted in my palm berm for about 1.5 years. Between the cold and hot weather this year, it's taken a few hits, but growth now seems to be accelerating. I assume it will need to grow larger before the leaves take on a bluish tint. For that, my Sabal uresana nearby doesn't disappoint, even at its young age! 

Brahea_sp-SuperSilver.jpg

• Upvote 6

Two of my supersilver

DSCN8400.JPG

DSCN8405.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 16

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

awesome palm

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I think I may have wound up with one of these that I originally bought as nitida. After seeing the thread Mandrew referred to it got me thinking about that palm. Mine is about 6-8 years old from seed. I'll post pics when I get home.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I got one. Fastest brahea I have other than brandy. 

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 22

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

25 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

Scream

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

25 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

Dude! that palm is awesome!

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2017, 8:44:56, Jdiaz31089 said:

Dude! that palm is awesome!

Here is one of mine with a lot of weeds. 

20170710_201054.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Nice contrast of silver/blue among the very green "weeds".

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Stevetoad - yours is one of the biggest I've seen in cultivation.  It must like your climate to do so well.  What do you use for fertilizer?   Here's mine which is almost 1.8m (6 ft.) tall now. I especially like the thin petioles that are spine (hook) free.  It grows pretty much on its own without much supplemental watering and never fertilized. 

Brahea Super Silver, 5-'17 (1).JPG

Brahea Super Silver, 5-'17 (2).JPG

• Upvote 8

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

7 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

Stevetoad - yours is one of the biggest I've seen in cultivation.  It must like your climate to do so well.  What do you use for fertilizer?   Here's mine which is almost 1.8m (6 ft.) tall now. I especially like the thin petioles that are spine (hook) free.  It grows pretty much on its own without much supplemental watering and never fertilized. 

Brahea Super Silver, 5-'17 (1).JPG

Brahea Super Silver, 5-'17 (2).JPG

I wish I could say I use some highly skilled techniques that took me years to master. But the reality is that I have never feed this palm. It gets loads of water from being so close to the lawn but that's about it.  

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

@Hillizard has yours burned in sun? I haven't had any issues with mine on that? Wonderful palm. 

@Alberto the white on those leaves is spectacular! 

@Al in Kona Mine is about that same size as yours. I'll take a picture today and post it! 

On 7/10/2017, 6:28:49, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20170710_201054.jpg

This palm must be pretty tolerant of cold! What temperature did it see? Is that cold damage on the frond to the right?

39 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

@Hillizard has yours burned in sun? I haven't had any issues with mine on that? Wonderful palm. 

Jdiaz: My palm had no problems with sun exposure this summer, but it did have significant leaf spotting this past winter and some spear damage. It's pushing out a lot of new growth right now. 

@Al in Kona Mine is about that same size as yours. I'll take a picture today and post it! 

This palm must be pretty tolerant of cold! What temperature did it see? Is that cold damage on the frond to the right?

On 6/29/2017, 4:27:08, Jdiaz31089 said:

JDiaz: You'll likely get some pictures of more mature specimens, but this is mine that started out quite small years ago and is planted in my palm berm. Between cold and hot weather, this year, it's taken a few hits, but growth now seems to be accelerating. I assume it will need to get larger before the leaves take on a blue tint. For that my Sabal uresana doesn't disappoint, even at its young age! 

Edited by Hillizard

On 7/7/2017 3:19:19, Stevetoad said:

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

Awesome!!

How about your Mooreis??, for sure that are bigger than mines...LOL.

11 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Yes, that is cold damage. It was the only brahea aside from a few armata out of 100 that didnt defoliate. 

• Upvote 1

Here is a picture of mine I took this morning. The leaves are beginning to turn blue on it - the lighting doesn't really show  that in this picture though. You can see it on the petioles. 

20170713_073150.thumb.jpg.e39f390f485e62

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Mohsen said:

are these getting silvery when get bigger, my small one  is totally green :( 

Yes. Should see some silver in the 5-10 gallon range....

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

On 7/12/2017, 7:43:54, Stevetoad said:

I wish I could say I use some highly skilled techniques that took me years to master. But the reality is that I have never feed this palm. It gets loads of water from being so close to the lawn but that's about it.  

The water appears to be the secret. They're desert palms, but they seem to appreciate plenty of water, at least sometimes. I've got little baby sprouts that seem to appreciate regular watering.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here is a pic of mine.  It gets a hasty, hose watering once every 2 weeks, or so.  It's in unamended clay.  Planted about 3 years ago, from a 5 gallon Multiflora ent. plant.  Jubeaopsis was planted 2 years ago, from a big one gallon.

596a7e1c72b5f_BraheaSuperSilverandJubeao

As a sidenote, the Sabal and Nannorrhops (3 years old / 1 year old) are doing great too.  Same conditions.  Maybe a few gallons of water poured on them, every two weeks.  The clay berm around the Sabal, is perfect for water retention.

596a7e231ec18_SabalandNannahrops7.12.201

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 10/07/2017 22:28:49, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20170710_201054.jpg

Is this Brahea not too silver at this stage of life/ is it not possible that it is another Brahea/ Are there spines on the petioles/

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

On 7/12/2017, 11:35:38, Jdiaz31089 said:

This palm must be pretty tolerant of cold! What temperature did it see? Is that cold damage on the frond to the 

5 hours ago, Alberto said:

Is this Brahea not too silver at this stage of life/ is it not possible that it is another Brahea/ Are there spines on the petioles/

Zero spines

Zero spines.  There is about 12" of trunk. Those weeds are really tall.  Our intense sun brings out the blue in every plant.  I noticed all of the dioon edule are sun burned really bad this year even in part day sun. 

• Upvote 2

OK, the picture is somewhat misleading me because the lack of scale, and yes , I don´t know the size of this weeds. It must be big with the whole leaf already ''super silver'':DMaybe you can show it again with something or somebody for scale......:rolleyes:

My biggest one.

IMG_0643.thumb.JPG.77f6f043a6470f489d197

This one is too close from others palms.

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.ac89f2fb584d78a738f48

Edited by sergiskan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2017, 6:19:19, Stevetoad said:

Monkey for scale

IMG_4209.JPG

About how old is this palm? Did u start it from seed? I remember acouple years ago the pic posted of this palm; shows its growing nicely, and shaded at that if i remember correctly  u saying that. 

• Upvote 1

Here’s mine, not as big as Steve’s but still nice.

They definitely like a bit of extra water; it gets the overspray from the nearby Acrocomia of Water Hoggery.

26DC5C4E-AD89-4B57-AC6E-28FF41BA7F7F.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017, 10:37:57, Island mnt. said:

About how old is this palm? Did u start it from seed? I remember acouple years ago the pic posted of this palm; shows its growing nicely, and shaded at that if i remember correctly  u saying that. 

I won mine at a pssc banquet. It was a one gallon at that time. I think it was about 5 or 6 years ago.  If i were to guess I would say mine is about 8 years old from seed.  Thing grows nonstop. They like water and heat. Just give them both and stand back. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I bought my palm as nitida. Since, Steve has Identified it as a super silver-mine definitely looks like his. 

Yall ready for the wrench? Ok, the palms at MBC that are labelled as nitida look exactly like mine... Go figure!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

I bought my palm as nitida. Since, Steve has Identified it as a super silver-mine definitely looks like his. 

Yall ready for the wrench? Ok, the palms at MBC that are labelled as nitida look exactly like mine... Go figure!

Nitida and super silver look a lot alike when young. Once they get about 4 foot super silver should be silver on top and bottom. Nitida will always stay dark green with some silver on top. I do feel that super silver would be a good try in humid south Florida though. Last summer was very humid in my area and my brandegeei showed some funk on the new growth and I lost my biggest parajubea (about 18foot). Super silver just added growth. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here is an update on mine. Definitely getting more silver and thriving.

Again, purchased as Brahea nitida.

20180114_163900.jpg

20180114_163918.jpg

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Here is an update on mine. Definitely getting more silver and thriving.

Again, purchased as Brahea nitida.

20180114_163900.jpg

20180114_163918.jpg

Super -  - - SILVAH!

Cloppity cloppity cloppity clop, etc.

Just like mine.

Green when young? Everyone laughs when you tell them? Yes? Me too.

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/26/2017, 10:08:42, DoomsDave said:

Here’s mine, not as big as Steve’s but still nice.

They definitely like a bit of extra water; it gets the overspray from the nearby Acrocomia of Water Hoggery.

26DC5C4E-AD89-4B57-AC6E-28FF41BA7F7F.thu

Dave mine's catching up to yours :P Not as blue yet

Screenshot_20180213-104236.thumb.jpg.a56

• Upvote 4