IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SATURDAY JULY 15, 2017 PSSC MEETING
Los Angeles, CA

The PSSC's July 15, 2017 meeting will be at two gardens in Los Angeles County, near the Orange
County border: Jackie and Rene in La Mirada, and Sergio Burciagga, in Whittier. Both of these
gardens are true gems, maintained to tidy perfection with perfect examples of envy-inducing rare
palms.

FIRST GARDEN
Jackie and Rene's garden is a first time garden with many gems raised by dedicated palm
fanatics. Highlights include various Dypsis and a hybrid Hyophorbe, with trunk. There’s also a large
H. verschaffeltii, and a Cocothrinax miraguama, and many more. Not a huge garden but grand just
the same. It is located at 14812 Mansa Drive, La Mirada, California 90638.
When Jackie and Rene bought their home, it had a few small citrus trees. After they joined the
PSSC, they toured numerous gardens for ideas and inspiration. Since they did not live on the coast,
they knew they would need palms that took sun and heat. The bulk of the plants in their garden
were planted about 3 years ago, with more going in.
SECOND GARDEN

The home and garden of Sergio Burciagga, in Whittier, Los Angeles County. If you’ve seen this
garden before you’ll remember what a gorgeous spectacle it was: mature Dypsis, Chambeyronia,
Roystoneas and many many more on a hilltop third-of-an-acre, with a perfect emerald green lawn,
palm-thatched palapas, and a pool which includes a swim-up bar. Palm gardens improve with age;
the past is nice, but the present is even better. Come see for yourself!

The Burciagga garden is located at 13811 Philadelphia Street, Whittier, California 90601.

ITINERARY
9:30 A.M. Board of Directors meeting at Moreno Garden
10:30-11:30 A.M. Tours of Moreno Garden
Leave Moreno Garden go to Burciagga Garden
12:30 P.M. Potluck lunch
1:30 P.M. General Meeting
2:30 PM Auction
4:00 P.M. Adjourn

DIRECTIONS
TO FIRST GARDEN:
From the south: Drive north on I-5 ( Santa Ana ) Freeway, exit at Valley View, go north;
turn right (east) on Rosecrans; turn left (north) on Biola Avenue; right (east) on
Mansa; garden is on the right (south) side of the street 14812 Mansa.

TO SECOND GARDEN FROM FIRST GARDEN
Exit first garden, retrace trip down Mansa; turn right (north) on Biola; turn right (east;
0.4 mile) on Imperial Highway; turn left (north; 1.6 miles) on La Mirada Boulevard;
turn right (northeast; 0.1 mile) on Colima; turn left (northwest; 1.9 miles) on Lambert
Road; turn right (north; 1.6 miles) on Painter Avenue; turn right (east) on Philadelphia
and head to the hills until you reach 13811 Philadelphia, on the north (left) side of the
street. (That house with all the palms.)

POTLUCK
This will be a potluck meeting. Chicken will be provided. All attendees are encouraged to
bring a dish or two (or three) for the enjoyment of all. Anything you like! Salad, fruit, stew,
dessert. Homemade is good, but if you want, you can buy and bring something. If you like
it, we will, too.

AUCTION
The auction is a vital part of the PSSC s funding; auction proceeds are a big reason we
can still publish our full-color Palm Journal. Growers can provide 100% of sale proceeds to
the PSSC, or split 50/50. The best size for auction plants is 2 - 5 gallons; really large
plants (e.g. 10 gal. and larger) are hard for many people to handle. Plants need to be sold
for a minimum bid of $20. Please, no common palms, or small seedlings, etc.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

It's that time already........

:yay:

Coming to the meeting?

This is a really spectacular garden.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/29/2017, 11:55:41, DoomsDave said:

Coming to the meeting?

This is a really spectacular garden.

Planning on it!

has apathy set in?

Come and see! Send me a PM if you have to.

Gonna try and make it.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Come on!

Get a chance to meet the infamous BS Man!

And see a totally awesome garden!

HOW CAN YOU LOSE?

• 2 weeks later...

Come on over!

Unfortunately, I was out of town DD......how were the palm tours and meeting?

Jackie and Rene garden gallery has now been posted:

It will be a few more days until I have the time to go through the 260+ photos I took at Sergio's garden, but it will be worth the wait. Wow, what a place.

Thanks Jackie and Renee for having us over!

Your garden is beautiful!

• 4 weeks later...

Dave did you make your famous stew?

missed out on all the fun

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Dave did you make your famous stew?

missed out on all the fun

I don't remember any more

BUT

Try to make it to the next one in September. BIG plants, including a large K. pyro.

Scream.

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I don't remember any more

BUT

Try to make it to the next one in September. BIG plants, including a large K. pyro.

Scream.

down here in the palm promise land, I mean San Diego?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Fullerton up here above the Orgy Curtain