IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What has happened to all the Phoenix canariensis in Italy?

Lou-StAugFL

Just got back from a trip to Europe and noticed there are very few Phoenix canariensis left in Italy compared to our last visit 6 years ago.  What is the cause? It doesn't appear they are being replaced with other palms. Just curious.

Lou St. Aug, FL

Maybe the local councils are saving on the maintenance costs?

Not everybody loves palms, especially the big ones which have the disadvantages of most big trees.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Lou, the Phoenix palms have been severely impacted by an introduced, non-native weevil.  Here is a palm near Salerno.

IMG_1698.JPG

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Red Palm Weevil

(obscenities in Sicilian, Greek, Italian, Croatian, Spanish, French And Arabic)

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Between Texas Phoenix Palm decline here, and red palm weevil there... the outlook isn't great for their numbers in the future.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Looks like the ones in the coldest regions could be the only survivers. Until a cold snap takes them all. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Unless my mistake this is Rhynchophorus ferrugineus.imported trees from Egypt carried the pest...

We have that in southern France and the French riviera without them is not the French riviera any longer sadly

• Upvote 1

On 28/06/2017, 4:22:25, wimmie said:

Lou, Phoenix canariensis suffers worldwide from a fatal disease!

I don't think Australia has this disease. Not saying we never will, but I'm glad our quarantine exists. Our canaries are doing fine.

• Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I was in Salerno and the Amalfi Coast and most of them were gone that were there last time we went. So sad,  it changes the look of the area.

• Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

I didn't realize it was getting this bad, anyone have a good update on CIDP weevil here in the states?

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Red palm weevil. We have the same problem here in Croatia too. CIDP will soon become extinct in Europe 

Edited by Cikas

What other species does the red palm weevil attack. If all the cidp's die in an area then hopefully the rpw dies as well with no food around for it. Does it attack P dactylifera and Chamaerops?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

What other species does the red palm weevil attack. If all the cidp's die in an area then hopefully the rpw dies as well with no food around for it. Does it attack P dactylifera and Chamaerops?

I'm sure this pest is already attacking dactyliferas. Jubaeas are also in its menu :(

08053.gif

12 hours ago, Tyrone said:

We've been lucky, The RPW population has dramatically gon down since killing about 90% of the CIDP's. The other 10% are fine and I don't believe will ever be affected. 

Very few other palms have been attacked in Southern Greece. A couple dactylifera I know of have been attacked but bounced back with the help of pesticides. I lost a Majesty palm at the height of the infestatio (about 7-8 years ago ).

In Spain, the RPW seem to be have a much more diverse hunger and have attacked a range of palms.

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

9 hours ago, mlovecan said:

We've been lucky, The RPW population has dramatically gon down since killing about 90% of the CIDP's. The other 10% are fine and I don't believe will ever be affected. 

Very few other palms have been attacked in Southern Greece. A couple dactylifera I know of have been attacked but bounced back with the help of pesticides. I lost a Majesty palm at the height of the infestatio (about 7-8 years ago ).

In Spain, the RPW seem to be have a much more diverse hunger and have attacked a range of palms.

Because Spain is far palmier than Greece. It is kinda an ebola outbreak in a small village in the african jungle. Surely the impact is totally different from a hypothetical outbreak in a Metro district. 

I can just confirm that in southern France washingtonia s do not get impacted obviously

It didn't seem to be bothering the washingtonia in Salerno, Italy there were still plenty of them planted.

Lou St. Aug, FL

On 6/29/2017, 1:31:20, Tyrone said:

I don't think Australia has this disease. Not saying we never will, but I'm glad our quarantine exists. Our canaries are doing fine.

Lucky Australia, Tyrone! Keep fingers crossed.

In Malta too thousands of Phoenix canariensis have been lost, they don't seem to have killed any other species here though, yet...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

bugs get diseases too

let's hurry up and find them!

:rage::rant:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.