IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bellucia pentamera

Cindy Adair

Anybody familiar with this eventually big tree?

DSCN6684.thumb.JPG.1c5aacc1336e84e24e044

I could not resist those gorgeous leaves, but now I read it could be invasive?

http://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Bellucia+pentamera

Of course lots of competition here and I need to keep mint in a pot where it struggles, so who knows?

I am tempted to just pick a far corner and see what happens, but willing to listen to reason if anyone has comments! 

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

If it will become a big tree, there is a good chance it will escape its pot right where it is. I vote to plant it where you want it or get rid of it.  Cool big leaves!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yes, quite common in the Caribbean lowland forests of Guatemala and further south. They have very cool flowers but - tropical melastome. Probably not as invasive as Miconia purpurascens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

J

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

If it will become a big tree, there is a good chance it will escape its pot right where it is. I vote to plant it where you want it or get rid of it.  Cool big leaves!

I can't return it to the plant sale vendor (or abandon it to die) and I agree keeping it in a pot is likely not an option either. Not exactly a bonsai candidate.

6 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Yes, quite common in the Caribbean lowland forests of Guatemala and further south. They have very cool flowers but - tropical melastome. Probably not as invasive as Miconia purpurascens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

J

Any idea how low are the lowlands where they grow invasively? of course coconut trees are actually invasive on my farm and so are Royals...

Cindy Adair

Did you get this in PR?  If they've already got it growing there and it hasn't shown up in vacant lots, I'd be less worried about growing it. 

Probably not a bad idea to keep in mind that any tropical melastome with fine seeds and tasty fruit attractive to birds should be viewed with suspicion when being planted in wet tropical conditions outside of their native range. PR has native genera of melastomes, so dispersal agents there.

Unlike most palms, many of these plants can produce thousands of fine seeds in a fruit crop.

J

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Did you get this in PR?  If they've already got it growing there and it hasn't shown up in vacant lots, I'd be less worried about growing it. 

Probably not a bad idea to keep in mind that any tropical melastome with fine seeds and tasty fruit attractive to birds should be viewed with suspicion when being planted in wet tropical conditions outside of their native range. PR has native genera of melastomes, so dispersal agents there.

Unlike most palms, many of these plants can produce thousands of fine seeds in a fruit crop.

J

This one came from Ecuagenera at a plant sale. I do not know where they got it. 

More seeds than my royals and higher germination than my coconuts? Scary for sure.

Cindy Adair

They're also native to Ecuador. See that they are naturalized in Central Africa and parts of Indonesia where they were introduced for the fruit (really? maybe I missed something), so apparently not a terrible threat. 

BTW, you may want to check Hawaii's online plant list from the Invasive Species Council for an idea how prominently melastome genera figure there.

• Upvote 1

Cindy-- Do you have neutral to acid soil? If so, I'd be concerned. Most Melastomaceae prefer such soils and are less of a problem on alkaline soils such as in South Florida. I don't know this genus' preferences tho; perhaps Jay can enlighten?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Presumably well on the acid side of range. Mostly lowland wet forests on red soils in CentrAm. I like the tree very much in nature, so see why Cindy fell for it. Meranias also. Many to kill for if you have the climate.

But then I like Miconia calvescens in nature, too. I never would have guessed it would end up with such an evil reputation abroad.

• Upvote 1